Sanford C. Bernstein Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sanford C. Bernstein Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2017

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

It was a very quick interview process because they needed to fill the role as soon as possible. They brought me in for one round of interviews in which i met with my entire sales team one by one. I got a job offer that same afternoon and they wanted me to start the following week thus insisting i only give my (previously) current job only 2 days notice.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No room for negotiation. They gave me a base offer of $45,000 - take it or leave it.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Interview

I had a phone screen which I thought went pretty well -- ended up not getting to the next round. The questions were fairly basic; what stocks are you following, why this company, what are your thoughts on XYZ... I feel they were hunting around for candidates but not seriously hiring at the moment.

Interview Questions

• Mostly straightforward questions...perhaps the one was what's your favorite book?   Answer Question

Junior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

Got called in after submitting resume online. First had interview screening, then called back for several interviews with senior management. Mainly trying to assess commitment to equity research and general ability to tackle basic financial concepts.

Summer Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

applied through school career center
    first round: one 1-1 interview on campus, interviewed by HR
    after 1 week, HR called and invited me to their office for superday
    second round (superday): six 1-1 interviews during one afternoon. met with 4 senior research analysts, 1 junior associate and 1 office manager

Interview Questions

• Lots of market sizing questions, such as how many Kindle will be sold in 2012   Answer Question

Personal Wealth Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (Chicago, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

one on one interview with manager in charge.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Phone interview with HR prior to 1:1 interview with HR. Basic case study (along the lines of how many starbucks are there). The HR rep asked me to repeat numbers several times. I don't think she understood all of the concepts I discussed and she was trying to write it all down so that she could relay the answers to someone else. That is a little unfortunate because you can't really get into a serious discussion with HR who are not equity researchers. She also asked my GPA and GMAT scores.

Not a hard interview. The next step would have been a modeling test. I was underqualified relative to my competition and never heard back from them at all. The HR rep told me she would let me no either way but was unresponsive, which is an all to common trait these days. It is not difficult to send people a polite disqualification email.

Again, not a hard interview but dealing with HR is rarely a positive for the interviewee because HR is looking for specific profiles and less apt to an open evaluation of straight-up ability to excel in the job.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

Thorough hiring and review process. Process varies by senior analyst and candidate. Expect a few interviews, possibly an Excel or a writing assignment. SCB almost exclusively hires ivy league.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much room to negotiate. Almost no point in negotiating.

Analyst- Working Under Top Executives Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

Met with someone from HR, ordinary screening. Then met with head HR same day. Asked back about a two weeks later to meet with head of group i was interviewing for.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

I went through numerous interviews which comprised of 1-1 interviews with 3-4 VPs. I also had a written test where I had to listen to an earnings call, and write up answers to questions. Most of my 1-1 interviews comprised of consulting case study type questions. I was also asked about my interest in the stock market. For the specific sector that I was interviewing for - I was asked questions related to what was happening within the industry.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be a challenge for you in this job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was not able to negotiate.

How May Ipods Did Apple Sell? Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

Had a phone interview and and then a case question interview.