Sanford C. Bernstein Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

3.1

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Institutional Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY).

Interview

I came into the interview process at the later stages, and missed the initial round screening. The first interview consisted of 20-30min interviews with 4-5 members of the sales team you would be supporting. Each asked basic behavioral questions, and nothing too in-depth. I was selected to come back in for a final round interview. This interview consisted of 10 minute interviews with each of the same sales personnel. This round I was asked to make a pitch, as the assistant role is designed as a pipeline into a full sales role.

They really harped on the fact that the role is very administrative in nature. I would be careful about how much you emphasize the institutional sales side of the job, versus the admin side. It's a difficult spin to offer both a forward looking interest, ie. that it leads into a sale position, while concurrently an administrative interest.

Interview Questions

• What qualities do you have that would make you a good fit for this position?   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

First round on campus interview. 2 interviewers. Background questions + behavioral + market sizing. There are follow up questions on market sizing, for example, how a new product may change current market size and why

Interview Questions

• Strength and weakness; Give an example that demonstrates intellectual curiosity; market sizing - $ market size of US TV market   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY).

Interview

I had couple rounds of interviews. First round was two back-to-back interviews with senior analyst and director of research in HK. They invited me to participate a super day interview in New York to meet couple senior analysts and I was asked to finish a test (Very challenging from my perspective). After couple days they asked me to sit in the office to listen to a conference call and develop a research report, which mocked the real-time business situation. I did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Some behavioral questions in the interview.
      They used case studies which were similar to interviews for consultants.
      5 hard core questions which covered the knowledge of financial statements analysis, modeling, writing, stock pitching, math and brain teasers.
      A one hour writing test to develop a research report after a conference call.   Answer Question

Trading Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY).

Interview

I submitted my resume online and within a few weeks had a phone conversation with what would be my boss. The conversation was just a general description of the job and discussion of my background and interest in trading. It was fairly easy.

Next, I was invited for a day long interview. I talked to my future boss, his subordinate, two other directors in the trading group and the manager of the entire trading floor. Most of the interviewers just wanted to know about my background in general and computer science in specific. One manager gave me a few easy problems to solve. It was a marathon process of 6 hours (with a brief lunch break and a break to receive a phone call).

Two days later I was asked to submit some sample code and answer a few questions about it. Two weeks later I received an offer. We negotiated for about a week after that.

Interview Questions

• Given this graph of a stock's price over time, can you find any patterns that we may exploit to execute a large sell order? What might be causing this pattern?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied online, and received a phone interview with the Head of HR. The interview was straight forward. Started with an intro about myself and then dived into a market sizing exercise.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

It was a very quick interview process because they needed to fill the role as soon as possible. They brought me in for one round of interviews in which i met with my entire sales team one by one. I got a job offer that same afternoon and they wanted me to start the following week thus insisting i only give my (previously) current job only 2 days notice.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No room for negotiation. They gave me a base offer of $45,000 - take it or leave it.

Junior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

Got called in after submitting resume online. First had interview screening, then called back for several interviews with senior management. Mainly trying to assess commitment to equity research and general ability to tackle basic financial concepts.

Summer Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

applied through school career center
    first round: one 1-1 interview on campus, interviewed by HR
    after 1 week, HR called and invited me to their office for superday
    second round (superday): six 1-1 interviews during one afternoon. met with 4 senior research analysts, 1 junior associate and 1 office manager

Interview Questions

• Lots of market sizing questions, such as how many Kindle will be sold in 2012   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Phone interview with HR prior to 1:1 interview with HR. Basic case study (along the lines of how many starbucks are there). The HR rep asked me to repeat numbers several times. I don't think she understood all of the concepts I discussed and she was trying to write it all down so that she could relay the answers to someone else. That is a little unfortunate because you can't really get into a serious discussion with HR who are not equity researchers. She also asked my GPA and GMAT scores.

Not a hard interview. The next step would have been a modeling test. I was underqualified relative to my competition and never heard back from them at all. The HR rep told me she would let me no either way but was unresponsive, which is an all to common trait these days. It is not difficult to send people a polite disqualification email.

Again, not a hard interview but dealing with HR is rarely a positive for the interviewee because HR is looking for specific profiles and less apt to an open evaluation of straight-up ability to excel in the job.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

Thorough hiring and review process. Process varies by senior analyst and candidate. Expect a few interviews, possibly an Excel or a writing assignment. SCB almost exclusively hires ivy league.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much room to negotiate. Almost no point in negotiating.