Santa Clara Valley Medical Center Manager Level Role Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Santa Clara Valley Medical Center Manager Level Role Interview Questions

Interviews at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center

1 Interview Review

Manager Level Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center (San Jose, CA) in March 2019.

Interview

I usually don't write reviews like this but it's been a few days and my recent interview experience didn't sit well with me and wanted to let future applicants, specifically other veterans, be aware of how they answer questions.

I've applied for the same role twice. The first time, I made it past the phone interview and went on to the in person panel interview. Although I didn't get the job, the interview experience was pleasant and when I got the rejection letter for not getting the position, I made sure to send a thank you letter to the Director, thanking them for the time and consideration.

The second and most recent time was a little different. I had a phone interview and it was pretty standard questions and I felt confident in my answers and explanation of my background. However the interviewer, although pleasant, mentioned two things that took me back and I wasn't sure how to respond. First, she made it clear to me, in my opinion, that they were specifically looking for a woman to hold one or all of the open positions(the interview was for 3 open positions). I'm not opposed to that at all but if that's the case, why would I be interviewed other than to just go through the motions? It felt like I was just a number on a list that they had to contact in order to get who they really wanted. I understand this is a common practice in recruiting I just didn't know how to respond.

The second thing that bothered me was the questions about my military experience. I typically try to down play my military experience on my resume and elsewhere because I understand that a lot of employers either don't understand the job or don't want veterans in the organization, especially here in the Bay area. However, I can't completely take it off my resume because no matter how much I try to down play it, it still takes up a significant portion of my work history.

During the interview, I don't remember the exact wording of the question but the interviewer asked something similar to "The military experience is good but how does that help us?" I can't remember exactly what else was asked but I remember fumbling around my answers after that because I felt like I was being told that my military service wasn't good enough. Prior to this, I thought I had done a good job explaining the value I could bring and how my experience related to the position but I'm not sure if it was enough.

After the phone interview, I felt pretty confident that I wouldn't be called back to move forward. I don't fault the interviewer necessarily but want any other veteran that applies to a similar position to be very careful about how they word and explain their service. In my humble experience, a lot of employers, including the county, aren't very military friendly and a lot of times we have to go above and beyond to prove our worth.

From my understanding, SCVMC is a good organization to work for but like others, it's difficult to get past the screening process with a military background.

Interview Questions

• How does your military service help us?   1 Answer