Save-A-Lot Food Stores Assistant Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Save-A-Lot Food Stores Assistant Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2017

2.8

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores.

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple. Did a phone interview with a HR representative and then did a face to face with a district manager. A few weeks later done another interview with another district manager and regional manager. They asked basic scenario and retail questions to get a feel for my knowledge of the business.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Save-A-Lot Food Stores

Anonymous Employee in New Port Richey, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores (New Port Richey, FL) in May 2016.

Interview

It was pretty laid back for the most part. I handed in my resume, & the woman interviewing me basically just based her interview questions off the resume. She just verified certain info with me that was included in my resume. The one-on-one interview took a total of 45 minutes. I actually really liked the lady that handled the interview. She was extremely informative & very nice.

Assistant Manager Interview

Interview

over all it was a process. submitted an apllication, two days later a recruiter called with a ton of questions. called back a week later with a store tour to go on to see what its like. like two weeks later had an interview with two people. two weeks later human resources called with an offer. talked to another person went to get drug tested. a week later was ofiicially hired. overall it took like six weeks.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores in January 2015.

Interview

I made my resume public on a major job site and was contacted by a recruiter. I was asked to go fill out the online application, which I did after a little research. I was set up for a phone interview with the recruiter within a few days. There was nothing extraordinary about the phone interview.

The next step is an online test. This is one of the most difficult online tests I have come across mainly revolving around general business skills (scheduling, profit margins, etc.). I was sure I tanked it. They call you to let you know if you pass it then you are set up for a store tour.

The tour consists of walking around with a store manager telling you some basic expectations and you are free to ask questions. This is as much a physical job as mental so I'm sure they want to get a look at you as well.

Then is the sit down interview with a pair of DM's. Again nothing extraordinary, basically work history questions. I had done my research on the company so it went very smoothly. I did not walk out of there very confident that I landed the job at all but I got the phone call the next morning.

My best advice going into these interviews is to show your knowledge of the company and grocery business. Then when answering the work history questions use examples of your willingness to do anything. You are interviewing for a hands on job more then a manager position so let that show.

Interview Questions

• No difficult interview questions but the online test was extremely difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pay rate was discussed during the interview process. The offer came in higher then the amount we talked about so I accepted it.

Assistant Manager Interview

Interview

Basic questions. If you have basic management skills you will be fine. Phone interview with recruiter. Next was face to face with district manager. Then a phone call with another district manager. Process was quick after that.

Negotiation

Simple negatiation

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores (Cleveland, OH) in June 2014.

Interview

easy. no questions were difficult to answer. most were not even relevant to the job. more like why did i want to leave current job, what did i do there, what do i know about retail.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores.

Interview

Strung along by an HR person, the initial process takes up to 2 months (including interview). You interview with whatever DM is in the interview rotation. Each DM is different and the majority have no formal (or informal) interview training. Judging by the quality of ASM's we get, and my own experience, I would be surprised if a candidate experienced a tough interview process.

Interview Questions

• Standard boiler-plate. Know your numbers, have a few stories / experiences, typical stuff. Keep it simple. No one will be impressed with how smart you are and if you show off too much you might noe be deemed a good fit.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I faxed a copy of my previous paycheck and they matched it. Simple.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores (Dallas, TX) in March 2012.

Interview

First, I was given a phone interview in which the screener asked what I knew about the company's philosophy and market. I said it was a low-income market and the company focused on promoting their own private brand which would help trigger higher gross profit than the average grocer. I also stated that the company focuses on a smaller, more specific inventory, so as not to have a million things to confuse or frustrate customers. The company wants customers to be able to come in, purchase their necessities, and get out without long lines or aisles. I was sent to the "Training Store" in the DFW area which was run by a female manager. She basically told me that 80% of your job will be stocking and merchandising the store. They need to know that the people they hire can physically handle the labor involved, as well as, have retail experience to learn the operational side of the business. I got a call a few days later saying I would have a 1:1 interview with the District Manager. It was a guy, and he seemed nice and the interview went well...or so I thought. He asked me more operations side questions about my current company's sales:payroll percentage, MTM sales, GP%, my availability, my reason for wanting to leave my current company, and my salary requirements. It isn't a salary position. It is an amount you request (let's say $45k) which will be broken down into an hourly rate, and you will be guaranteed 40 hours. You typically will be closing 3-4 days a week leaving the store somewhere between 10:30 to 11:30 depending on how busy or short-handed you are. Anyway, I left thinking I did well, but I got a phone call from the corporate office letting me know they chose someone else. So, the plus side is that you will hear something from the corporate office either way via a phone call, if you make it this far. The negative is that the phone call might not be a happy one. Hope this helps

Interview Questions

• After being with your current company for so long, what about our organization makes you feel you will be happier with us, as opposed to where you are now?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores (Atlanta, GA) in February 2011.

Interview

Was some what of a long hiring process with online assessment tests and phone interview and then finally a face to face interview.

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Save-A-Lot Food Stores (Cleveland, OH) in January 2011.

Interview

Long, tedious, and painful

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation