Schlumberger Field Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Schlumberger Field Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Midland, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Eye opening and Interesting Process. It confirmed my strong interest for the position. The process spanned over two days. They had us busy the whole time. The final evening wrap up was somewhat confusing. It was a social gathering complete with alcoholic beverages. Not quite sure what they were looking for during the night out. One on ones were greatly helpful and informative. Hope to hear positively this week.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Schlumberger

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Denver, CO).

Interview

I had an initial phone interview in which they asked me typical interview questions, as well as whether "I even really want this job". Their tactic seemed to be intimidation. I got the second interview and then flew me to OKC for a 2 day interview with 15 or so other candidates. The activities started in the evening, where we met and got to know one another. They then presented information on Schlumberger and the different types of field engineering. They kept us up until 3 AM and we had to be on the bus the next morning to visit a rig site. We had exit interviews in the evening of the second day, then they brought us to dinner and then we were free to leave.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any reservations for working for Schlumberger?   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

First interview was a standard phone interview. The recruiter contacted me by email after finding my application through SLB's careers website for resume drops -- we set up a time and date and then he called me. Got questions like "Why SLB? Why field engineer? Describe a time when you've had to adapt to something really hard. Etc." Afterwards, got an email inviting me in for a second interview.

Second interview was same as others have described here. They flew me out to one of their sites, where I gave a presentation (topic assigned two days before, and working in a group with three other people) on an SLB segment. Then they had us do a team building activity ("build a thing in a limited amount of time with these random objects" kind of thing) and kept us up until past 2am with more presentations about the company.

Second day of second interview (the whole thing, plus travel time, eats up three days) they have you wake up around 6-7am for breakfast and take you out to a sample rig. You wander around, ask some questions, make sure your safety gear is on at all times, etc. Then they bring you back to the hotel and start exit interviews.

From what I could tell, the exit interviews were pretty brutal. Several people on my team actually came out crying, or very shaken at the least. Be prepared to have your conviction questioned. Be prepared to be asked extensively about WHY you want a certain segment, or to be out in the field at all. These guys REALLY want you to be sure that you know what you're getting into. The exit interview isn't for impressing the recruiters anymore -- it's for convincing them that you know exactly what you're getting into, and that you actually, actively want this job, more so than anything else, and that you aren't just trying to come in with half-assed convictions.

Then there's a dinner where you can chat with more field engineers. Very laid-back and fun, and nice after the grilling from the exit interview. You fly home the day after.

Ultimately, although I likely won't be joining them in the future, I feel it was a well-designed process. The recruiters were very friendly and accommodating, yet at the same time blunt and truthful about how hard the job would be. You think that, after reading a few things on the internet, including many of the reviews here, you KNOW you would be willing to do this job? The interview process is really designed to make you question that fully, and if you, like me, realize at the end that it's not for you, the process will have worked and they won't be unhappy at you for it.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job over literally anything else you could be doing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elk City, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Elk City, OK).

Interview

Interview went well. It was a one on one 30 minutes interview which involved a few behavioral questions. It's important that you show how handy you are and also capable of working long hours

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger in April 2017.

Interview

Very brief interview about 20 minutes, all basic questions. Be prepared, and answer every question as if you would love to be a Field Engineer if you want to advance to the next interview. I think the reason why I didn't pass the interview was because I asked about days off and pay etc. Ask questions more about the experience and seem willingly to do anything on the interview if you want to pass.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Midland, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

I spoke to them at career showcase and got an email a few days later for an in-person interview. Then got accepted to second interview for an on-site rig interview. It was a really cool learning experience. I loved it. Don't expect to get ANY sleep and be prepared. A week before you will get a group presentation with other candidates and will be easiest to collaborate over google docs and some sort of video chat to practice.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in that segment and what equipment will you be using?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrence, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Lawrence, KS) in April 2017.

Interview

I went to a company presentation at my college where I talked to the recruiter and applied online. I received an email a few days later to schedule a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you were working with your hands and had to come up with a creative solution to a problem.   Answer Question
    • Estimate the height if you were to stack a million one dollar bills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Lubbock, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very simplistic and not academically challenging. Pretty much about biographic interview.

Interview Questions

• How can you guarantee that you will not leave for a better pay after acquiring much needed experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Midland, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

First round interview took place on campus and consisted of a 30 minute interview of all behavioral questions. After this I was invited to a second interview in Midland that lasted 3 days. The first night was team building excercisrs and a formal presentation. The second day was a field visit and exit interview, then flew home on the third day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had a conflict in a group project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Madison, WI) in March 2017.

Interview

A hiring manager visited a college campus where interview slots were given every thirty minutes. The hiring manager took applicants one by one into a personal interview with only him. He talked about the company and the expectations and then went over my resume and asked a mix of personality questions and trick questions.

Interview Questions

• If there were three light bulbs in another room with three switches in the room you are in, with opening the door once and using the switches only when the door was closed, how could you determine which switches corresponded to which light bulb?   Answer Question