Schlumberger Field Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2017

628 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Field Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Austin, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Attended campus career fair, where I met with a recruiter who encouraged me to apply online. One week later I got a call scheduling for an on-campus interview. The interview consisted of behavioral and specific questions about Schlumberger, so understand the company .

Interview Questions

• Why Schlumberger?
    Describe a time you did something wrong in the field.
    Describe a time you had hands on experience.
    What do you know about what Field Engineers do?
    Are you willing to travel/commit to your job/not being home often?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Schlumberger

Field Engineer Interview

Interview

After phone interview from third party recruiter went to Oklahoma City. Didn't wear a suit. Group style. Went to some well sites and a yard. Went drinking with the recruiters and fellow interviewees. Be yourself

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be here?   1 Answer

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

Got the interview from a campus recruiting event. Shortly after, I interviewed on campus for about 20 minutes. About a week later, I received an email regarding a second interview. It was a 3 day interviewing process. First night is intros, presentations (you have to make a short group presentation with the group youre assigned), and some ice breakers. This goes on until about 2 am. The next morning you head to a rig and do a tour of that then you come back to the hotel and do exit interviews followed by a group dinner.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Houston, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

One of the best experiences to go through as an entry level engineer, the recruiters were field engineers before too and they invited other engineers to talk about the segments they worked on and the type of training and hour of work they had. they make sure they tell you, this job is not for everyone, it is 3 year of training and learning with working at least 80 hours a week and can get up to few days to few weeks if the job is not done. also, they told us some of their hard times were they had to stay more than 3 weeks next to the rig until the job was done.

my first interview was a normal quick behavioral questionnaire phone interview. they are just trying to make sure that you understand what are applying for.
    the second interview started around 6 pm with everyone introducing themselves then we talked about all the segments have openings available, with presentation from the us about segments we were asked to prepare for as groups or by engineers came to introduce those segments. we kept going until 4 am.
    the next day we woke up at 7, had a quick breakfast then got in a bus to visit the testing labs. we had a long tour from 8 am- 3 pm, looking over multiple labs and visiting a testing rig. after that, we went back to the hotel for exit interview and choosing the segment we want to be working for. then we went to eat and we were free to go home.

Interview Questions

• why do you think you will be good for this segment? and why would choose working > 80 hour in a field over 40 hours office job?   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

First interview was a standard phone interview. The recruiter contacted me by email after finding my application through SLB's careers website for resume drops -- we set up a time and date and then he called me. Got questions like "Why SLB? Why field engineer? Describe a time when you've had to adapt to something really hard. Etc." Afterwards, got an email inviting me in for a second interview.

Second interview was same as others have described here. They flew me out to one of their sites, where I gave a presentation (topic assigned two days before, and working in a group with three other people) on an SLB segment. Then they had us do a team building activity ("build a thing in a limited amount of time with these random objects" kind of thing) and kept us up until past 2am with more presentations about the company.

Second day of second interview (the whole thing, plus travel time, eats up three days) they have you wake up around 6-7am for breakfast and take you out to a sample rig. You wander around, ask some questions, make sure your safety gear is on at all times, etc. Then they bring you back to the hotel and start exit interviews.

From what I could tell, the exit interviews were pretty brutal. Several people on my team actually came out crying, or very shaken at the least. Be prepared to have your conviction questioned. Be prepared to be asked extensively about WHY you want a certain segment, or to be out in the field at all. These guys REALLY want you to be sure that you know what you're getting into. The exit interview isn't for impressing the recruiters anymore -- it's for convincing them that you know exactly what you're getting into, and that you actually, actively want this job, more so than anything else, and that you aren't just trying to come in with half-assed convictions.

Then there's a dinner where you can chat with more field engineers. Very laid-back and fun, and nice after the grilling from the exit interview. You fly home the day after.

Ultimately, although I likely won't be joining them in the future, I feel it was a well-designed process. The recruiters were very friendly and accommodating, yet at the same time blunt and truthful about how hard the job would be. You think that, after reading a few things on the internet, including many of the reviews here, you KNOW you would be willing to do this job? The interview process is really designed to make you question that fully, and if you, like me, realize at the end that it's not for you, the process will have worked and they won't be unhappy at you for it.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job over literally anything else you could be doing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Midland, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Eye opening and Interesting Process. It confirmed my strong interest for the position. The process spanned over two days. They had us busy the whole time. The final evening wrap up was somewhat confusing. It was a social gathering complete with alcoholic beverages. Not quite sure what they were looking for during the night out. One on ones were greatly helpful and informative. Hope to hear positively this week.

Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

Application

Interview

The interview process was long, but informative. Through the first evening there are presentations, ice breakers, and dinner. This was very informative where you learn about all the opportunities available for field engineers; however, it lasts well into the night (2-3 AM). The next day it's up very early for a trip into the field to see some aspect of operations. After the trip to the field, you get to freshen up for exit interviews. I didn't think the exit interview was intense, but I think it flustered some people.

Interview Questions

• They asked what your biggest hesitation to the job was.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Denver, CO).

Interview

I had an initial phone interview in which they asked me typical interview questions, as well as whether "I even really want this job". Their tactic seemed to be intimidation. I got the second interview and then flew me to OKC for a 2 day interview with 15 or so other candidates. The activities started in the evening, where we met and got to know one another. They then presented information on Schlumberger and the different types of field engineering. They kept us up until 3 AM and we had to be on the bus the next morning to visit a rig site. We had exit interviews in the evening of the second day, then they brought us to dinner and then we were free to leave.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any reservations for working for Schlumberger?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elk City, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Elk City, OK).

Interview

Interview went well. It was a one on one 30 minutes interview which involved a few behavioral questions. It's important that you show how handy you are and also capable of working long hours

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger in April 2017.

Interview

Very brief interview about 20 minutes, all basic questions. Be prepared, and answer every question as if you would love to be a Field Engineer if you want to advance to the next interview. I think the reason why I didn't pass the interview was because I asked about days off and pay etc. Ask questions more about the experience and seem willingly to do anything on the interview if you want to pass.