Schlumberger Field Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Schlumberger Field Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Denver, CO).

Interview

I had an initial phone interview in which they asked me typical interview questions, as well as whether "I even really want this job". Their tactic seemed to be intimidation. I got the second interview and then flew me to OKC for a 2 day interview with 15 or so other candidates. The activities started in the evening, where we met and got to know one another. They then presented information on Schlumberger and the different types of field engineering. They kept us up until 3 AM and we had to be on the bus the next morning to visit a rig site. We had exit interviews in the evening of the second day, then they brought us to dinner and then we were free to leave.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any reservations for working for Schlumberger?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Schlumberger

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Madison, WI) in March 2017.

Interview

A hiring manager visited a college campus where interview slots were given every thirty minutes. The hiring manager took applicants one by one into a personal interview with only him. He talked about the company and the expectations and then went over my resume and asked a mix of personality questions and trick questions.

Interview Questions

• If there were three light bulbs in another room with three switches in the room you are in, with opening the door once and using the switches only when the door was closed, how could you determine which switches corresponded to which light bulb?   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kharagpur, West Bengal (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Kharagpur, West Bengal (India)) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied via Campus.One the first day of capus recruitment at iit kahargpur Schlumberger came.and called all the shortlisted candidates basically all the candidates above 7 cgpa.The Personal interview was about for 30 mins , in which questions were asked from the major and various projects done at the university

Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Lubbock, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

First round interview was stressful, and involved a few brain teasers and basic conceptual questions. I have listed them in the interview questions section. It took about a week to get a response from my recruiter. I highly recommend going to a information session at your university before the interview, and introducing yourself to your recruiter this had a huge positive in my column.

The second round interview took place in Oklahoma City for me, there where 15 other students from across the US, we flew into OKC the first afternoon where we started by doing some team-building exercises, presented a slide set with our groups that we had to prepare before attending the interview, and then listened to a presentation by some employees. This process took until around 3 am. We started the next morning at 7 am, and went to a job site to see a full scale of what one of the subsections looked like. We came back to the hotel for exit interviews, upon everyone completing their interviews we went to dinner and where released from the interview around 9. People who drove where free to go home, most of us went to a bar in town and hung out. The next morning you take your flight back to your original location, some flights where as early as 5 am.

Interview Questions

• Tell me two ways to get the volume of this mint tin?   1 Answer
    • If you have an anchor in a boat then throw it in the water what happens to the water level?   1 Answer
    • Three lightbulbs are outside this room, these three switched control them. How do you find out which switch goes to which switch with only stepping out of the room once?   1 Answer
    • *puts four quarters on the table (in a square pattern)* can you arrange them in a line with only four moves, after each move the quarter must be touching to other quarters.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elk City, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Elk City, OK).

Interview

Interview went well. It was a one on one 30 minutes interview which involved a few behavioral questions. It's important that you show how handy you are and also capable of working long hours

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novosibirsk (Russia)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Novosibirsk (Russia)) in April 2017.

Interview

30 mins for math and logic test, extremely easy ones, these definetely do not require higher education

logic one was about matching 9th picture with other 8
    math had trigonometry, simplification, economics and arithmetics

Interview Questions

• How many q's you answered correctly?
      How many is enough to be selected for next stage?

also q's about background and salary expectations
      Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

First interview was a standard phone interview. The recruiter contacted me by email after finding my application through SLB's careers website for resume drops -- we set up a time and date and then he called me. Got questions like "Why SLB? Why field engineer? Describe a time when you've had to adapt to something really hard. Etc." Afterwards, got an email inviting me in for a second interview.

Second interview was same as others have described here. They flew me out to one of their sites, where I gave a presentation (topic assigned two days before, and working in a group with three other people) on an SLB segment. Then they had us do a team building activity ("build a thing in a limited amount of time with these random objects" kind of thing) and kept us up until past 2am with more presentations about the company.

Second day of second interview (the whole thing, plus travel time, eats up three days) they have you wake up around 6-7am for breakfast and take you out to a sample rig. You wander around, ask some questions, make sure your safety gear is on at all times, etc. Then they bring you back to the hotel and start exit interviews.

From what I could tell, the exit interviews were pretty brutal. Several people on my team actually came out crying, or very shaken at the least. Be prepared to have your conviction questioned. Be prepared to be asked extensively about WHY you want a certain segment, or to be out in the field at all. These guys REALLY want you to be sure that you know what you're getting into. The exit interview isn't for impressing the recruiters anymore -- it's for convincing them that you know exactly what you're getting into, and that you actually, actively want this job, more so than anything else, and that you aren't just trying to come in with half-assed convictions.

Then there's a dinner where you can chat with more field engineers. Very laid-back and fun, and nice after the grilling from the exit interview. You fly home the day after.

Ultimately, although I likely won't be joining them in the future, I feel it was a well-designed process. The recruiters were very friendly and accommodating, yet at the same time blunt and truthful about how hard the job would be. You think that, after reading a few things on the internet, including many of the reviews here, you KNOW you would be willing to do this job? The interview process is really designed to make you question that fully, and if you, like me, realize at the end that it's not for you, the process will have worked and they won't be unhappy at you for it.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job over literally anything else you could be doing?   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online via the Schlumberger careers page. Was then invited to an assessment day 1 month later. The day lasted from 09:00 to 17:30 and consisted of aptitude tests, group exercise, presentations and an individual interview. The day was enjoyable and the interviewers done a question and answer session before lunch which was good.

The individual interview only lasted 30 minutes and was primarily based on my CV which they had beside them. I'm still waiting to hear back regarding my interview.

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

It was a nice interview. Question were simple like "How do u handle stressful situation??" Rescruiters was friendly and easy-communicating. All process of assesment took a full day till the night.

Interview Questions

• There wouldnt any unexpected question if u were prepared for assesment process   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Midland, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

First round interview took place on campus and consisted of a 30 minute interview of all behavioral questions. After this I was invited to a second interview in Midland that lasted 3 days. The first night was team building excercisrs and a formal presentation. The second day was a field visit and exit interview, then flew home on the third day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had a conflict in a group project.   Answer Question