Schlumberger Geologist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Schlumberger Geologist Interview Questions

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, went through a phone interview after which I was invited for a 2nd interview on location. Very straight forward process, delivered a presentation, completed a 1 on 1 interview with the direct manager.

Received an offer within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Q: What do you know about this segment and why do you want to work for us?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Geologist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

Sent in my resume online through my university they contacted me after I was picked for an interview spot. Spots were very limited, most of my classmates did not get a spot. I signed up for a spot online. There was one single person interviewing and the interview was horrible. The interviewer was so tired they kept yawning and mixed up the questions. Moreover, they complained about how much they had to fly and what state they had to be in tomorrow. They could not answer my questions and knew nothing about geology. When I answered a question about my resume they didn't even type any of it in the computer and it was relevant to all sorts of skills. The interviewer barely typed anything I said at all and was just yawning the whole time.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you created something to solve a problem. Like if you had a flat tire and you fixed it with nothing but a paperclip and a string.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Houston, TX).

Interview

First interview, laid back. Second interview, 8 hour day with all-day interaction with managers and some staff.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you were faced with a challenge and came up with a unique solution.   Answer Question

PetroTechnical Engineer/Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Austin, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

I applied through the career services at my university. A month later I was emailed about being chosen for an on-campus interview.

Prior to the interview, there was an info-session scheduled on my school campus, during which attendees could ask questions, but the Schlumberger representatives, including the woman who would be conducting my interview, showed up and started the session an hour and a half earlier than the official time they were scheduled to start, so I didn't arrive until the session was almost over. They apologized for mixing up their own times, but I lost a good opportunity to ask questions prior to the interview.

At the start of interview (described in more detail below), the interviewer was surprised that I was not a current graduate student at the school where the interview took place (I was actually a grad student at another school, but submitted my application through the career services at my undergraduate institution, where I had already graduated from). My resume and application documents should have made it clear where I went to school, so I'm guessing they didn't really review those documents.

After the interview I never got any response from them. I did not find out that I was declined until I manually logged into their career site months later to see that my application was listed as "declined."

This was not the first time I got some "mysterious" results from Schlumberger recruiters either. A year earlier I also applied through my university and was scheduled for an interview, but the time conflicted with one of my university classes, so I requested a different time and the recruiter said he'd call me for a phone interview, but when I didn't get the call, I emailed and called him several times over the next couple weeks to remind him, to which he actually replied at first that yeah, he'll call me for the phone interview, he'll get to it, but he never called and I never found out why. Again, I did not find out that my application was declined until I manually logged into their career site months later to see that my application was listed as "declined."

Interview Questions

• The interview was just primarily a series of standard personality/behavior questions, such as describe a challenge you overcame (the example they gave was fixing a flat tire), or describe a time you were innovative, (the same quetions you've heard over and over in interviews), etc. But they also tried to catch me off-guard with a couple of "tricky" questions, such as showing me two clocks telling me to describe how much time may have passed.   1 Answer

Geologist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2011.

Interview

Met a recruiter at a school career fair and had a next-day interview. Initially, the recruiter was most interested in my undergraduate course work, particularly quantitative/math courses. The interview was relaxed and we mostly talked about my internship experience. I was interested in finding a summer internship and she was looking more for full time employees. She encouraged me to apply for full-time. She was surprisingly disparaging of other interviewees she had talked to. I thought it was somewhat unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• She asked me a GRE-type question as a problem-solving question. How many degrees are between the two hands of a clock at a particular time. I had no trouble as I was studying for the GRE at the time.   1 Answer

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)) in August 2013.

Interview

1. Recruiting manager interviews first
    2. Interview on the job scope, history and career opportunity in Schlumberger
    3. Asked several personal questions like family background, medical condition, relationship etc.
    4. Second round involves 3 employees of schlumberger (senior grade)
    5. Candidates are required to present on their final year projects/technical skills and soft skills.
    6. Candidates have to utilize their problem solving skills in certain situations depicted by interviewers (can be easy or hard)

Interview Questions

• Elaboration on your final year projects as well as your soft skills, required to come out with a 5 minute presentation on the spot.   Answer Question

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Schlumberger (London, England (UK)) in April 2013.

Interview

The process was a lengthy and a bit frustrating, eventually yielding no result. Had two telephone interviews and two panel interviews all with their offices in four different countries. Overall, the people seemed friendly, nice office space and a relaxed work environment. It seems like a good company to work with regardless.

Geologist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

Met Schlumberger at university's career fair and gave them my resume. About 3 or 4 weeks later they contacted me and set up an interview for the following week. Interview consisted of some standard questions mixed in with many of the questions brought up here on glass door which are quite difficult. Questions such as "What is your best McGyver moment," and a brain teaser.

Interview Questions

• If given a boring and tedious task by your supervisor, what keeps you motivated to keep working hard?   Answer Question

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)) in December 2012.

Interview

After introductions each of the candidates were asked to give a 10 minute presentation to the interview panel and the rest of the candidates outlining our strengths, weaknesses and a technical project that we had worked on.
    We then answered questions on our technical project. After this stage everyone was invited for individual interviews which lasted around half an hour.

Interview Questions

• Mainly questions from CV, and a few simple technical questions - oil price, elements of a petroleum system etc.   Answer Question

Geologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

After submitting my resume, Slb recruiters contacted me via email to set up a phone interview. The call lasted about an hour and consisted of general behavioral interview questions. About a week later they asked me to interview in Houston where I had to give a 5 minute presentation on past research, toured the facilities, and interviewed/met with 2 senior geologists.

Interview Questions

• What is the most creative solution you had to solve a problem?   Answer Question