Schlumberger REMS Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 6, 2017

30 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

REMS/Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Multi stage interview process. Found Schlumberger at a career fair, had a great conversation, and went to their info session the next day (I think this is very important). Two weeks later, I was called in for an on-campus interview, which pretty much consisted of going through my resume. Two weeks after that, I was flown out to Houston for an interview there. The first day was just a site tour and an info session (pretty much the same one as before). The next day was a 7 minute presentation, followed by four 30-45 minute interviews. These were both technical and behavioral. Within two weeks, was offered a full time position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Sugar Land, TX).

Interview

Talked to the recruiting team during info session, then I was invited for an on-campus interview second day. Received on-site interview invitation one week after. The on-site interview was a 3 day process, consisting of 2 days filled with activities helped you get to know Schlumberger and final day for the interview. Questions are mostly resume based questions and they are very easy. Interviewers are nice.

Interview Questions

• What was you take aways from your previous internship. Which section(s) in SLB do you want to work and why. Describe tools used in the section you wanted to work for and tell me about challenges associated when designing those tools.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Blacksburg, VA) in October 2015.

Interview

Dropped resume at the career fair, was called for interviewing a few days later. Interviews were held on campus, coordinated nicely. The HR person and the technical person very approachable. Overall, very pleasant treatment.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, difficult situations faced and how did you overcome, leadership roles etc. All typical behavioral interview questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online and met with recruiters at job fair. Had an on-campus interview 2 weeks later. Received an on site interview (Rosharon, TX) about 1.5 weeks after the on-campus interview. That will take place early November.

Interview Questions

• The on-campus interview was very short and the only question asked was tell me all I need to know about you and you most recent project experience in 25 minute. It was very casual and laid back and we had a nice conversation.   Answer Question

REMS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

Met with Schlumberger at the school career fair and dropped off a resume, also applied through the campus career center. Was scheduled for an on-campus interview a couple weeks later.

Had a 1 on 1 interview with one of the mechanical engineers (I'm an ME as well) that lasted ~30 minutes with behavior questions at the start and a couple technical questions at the end.

Interview Questions

• Asked general behavioral questions: Name a time you faced a challenge in a project, etc.   Answer Question
    • Was also asked a couple fairly basic statics related questions (how to hang something, safety factors), and also about the direction of a moving piston, given system constraints.   Answer Question

REMS (Manufacturing Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Houston, TX).

Interview

I got the first interview through my university career fair. I had an interview on campus. Basic questions about thing son resume and behavioral questions.
    After 2 weeks(exactly) heard back for a 2nd round on their site. We were flown and driven there. Nice accommodation and hotel arrangements. We then met at a hotel, they gave a presentation about the company. Then we had a group activity(the usual; making a catapult). It was just for fun and team building. Don't think they were judging anything coz only recruiters came to the event, no managers.
    Next day, we left for the company early morning. We had our presentations which was pretty easy. The questions asked in the end were very simple and straightforward. The managers had no expressions on their face !!
    We then had 4 one on one interviews . Basic questions about past experiences. Some asked rapid fire lean questions. So be prepared with definitions of the basic Lean terminology.
    We also went on a quick tour of the plant. Was not like what I expected. It was rushed and fast.

I was told I would hear back in 2 weeks. I didn't and my follow-up e-mails were ignored. I finally got through them after 4 weeks to know that even though they liked me, they weren't going to hire because of the problems in the oil and gas industry. It was a disappointment.

REMS Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Schlumberger in October 2014.

Interview

Handed in my resume at campus career fair, got a on campus interview next day. Just went through my resume, no very hard questions asked. Got the on site invitation one month after.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever feel like enlightened when you learned something in class that you never know before?   Answer Question

REMS Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

Basic behavioral questions were asked pertaining to previous project work, leadership experience. The interviewer shared his own experiences while at the company ans was very friendly overall. The questions were pretty straight forward and expected first round questions.

REMS Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Sugar Land, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Started out with talking to one of the recruiters during career fair (was a huge line and waited for almost an hour until i was able to talk). This was almost a short mini interview and consisted of talking about what languages i'm good at (they seem to like C++, C#, Matlab) and then asked about projects i did in school or a internship. Although i didn't know then but from what i know now this part is important since each of the interviewers have a card that is marked 1-10 in terms of what they think of ur skill level and another box for "yes" or "no". At the end they will throw out all the no's and non 10's so do your best during this very short career fair mini interview that is about 5 - 10 min long. Also i strongly suggest waiting in the line with the interviewer that spends a lot of time with each person because everyone goes through candidates in different speeds. The more they let you talk the better

Then I had a interview on my school campus that was 45 min long. Talked about the various projects i did, the technical aspects of it and what i am interested in and asked basic programming questions like stack/heap, virtual classes, etc. No paper and pen or white board.

Then i got to the final stage. The interview is about 1.5 days. You arrive the day before during the afternoon. You get to check into your hotel and then you go on a 1 hour tour of the sugarland campus. Afterwards you have a dinner where you are given a presentation about the company and you are split into tables of your same majors. (mech, EE, CS) and there is at least 1 manager of the relevant field in each table. The manager on your table will be one of your interviewers the next day so its a good idea to get a good impression from him/her. After dinner you split into groups and do a team building exercise. In my case we had to build a catapult for marshmallows using pop sickle sticks, pencil, rubber bands, etc. Then you have a competition using it. The managers during this time will go around and see what everyone does. This event may be just for fun or they may be gauging you on team work and creativity i have no idea though.

The next day, interview took place in the hotel, not on sugarland campus. All the candidates are broken into groups of their respective field/major. Then each person does a 7 min presentation on a past project one did with a room full of managers of your respective field with 3 min for questions at the end. Then there are four 45 min interviews with different managers and 15 min break in between. Each one asked different things. They like asking questions on projects you did, what classes you liked and why. What you look for in this company. They will also ask questions like "what was the coolest project you've seen?", "what do you think technology will be like 5, 10 years from now?" "what kind of version control do you use?". They asked basic questions on object oriented principles, threads, and stack/heap. They also asked for technical and design details regarding the project you have presented as well as basic behavioral questions: "leadership, managing time, organization, etc". This last phase of the interview had no white board or paper/pen coding. Make sure you think of questions for each one of the interviewers since they will always leave room for questions at the end. After this was done they had me fill out a feed back regarding interview process and was told i would hear back from 2-3 weeks. I heard back after 1 full week.

Interview Questions

• what is the cost for context switching for threads?   1 Answer

Negotiation

was very happy with the starting salary so i accepted without negotiation

REMS Electrical Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied on the company website and called for a on campus interview within a week. The guy who took an interview was really nice and friendly. Got selected for a second round in Sularland Tx. It was presentation followed by 4 one on one interviews. Most of the questions were from resume