Schlumberger Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 14, 2018
1,783 Interview Reviews

2.9

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

Phone interview. Lasts about half an hour. Just like traditional technical interview. We talked about my course project experiences, course I have taken, and fundamental algorithm questions like quicksort and mergesort.

Interview Questions

• Project experiences, algorithm questions, technical details about python and C++   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rosharon, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Rosharon, TX).

Interview

Phone interview with HR then face to face interviews with 3 managers. After the interviews, one of the managers gave me tour of the facilities and office areas.

Interview Questions

• How do you define a load path?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable with working in sometimes harsh outdoors wearing safety gear environment?   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

First interview was a standard phone interview. The recruiter contacted me by email after finding my application through SLB's careers website for resume drops -- we set up a time and date and then he called me. Got questions like "Why SLB? Why field engineer? Describe a time when you've had to adapt to something really hard. Etc." Afterwards, got an email inviting me in for a second interview.

Second interview was same as others have described here. They flew me out to one of their sites, where I gave a presentation (topic assigned two days before, and working in a group with three other people) on an SLB segment. Then they had us do a team building activity ("build a thing in a limited amount of time with these random objects" kind of thing) and kept us up until past 2am with more presentations about the company.

Second day of second interview (the whole thing, plus travel time, eats up three days) they have you wake up around 6-7am for breakfast and take you out to a sample rig. You wander around, ask some questions, make sure your safety gear is on at all times, etc. Then they bring you back to the hotel and start exit interviews.

From what I could tell, the exit interviews were pretty brutal. Several people on my team actually came out crying, or very shaken at the least. Be prepared to have your conviction questioned. Be prepared to be asked extensively about WHY you want a certain segment, or to be out in the field at all. These guys REALLY want you to be sure that you know what you're getting into. The exit interview isn't for impressing the recruiters anymore -- it's for convincing them that you know exactly what you're getting into, and that you actually, actively want this job, more so than anything else, and that you aren't just trying to come in with half-assed convictions.

Then there's a dinner where you can chat with more field engineers. Very laid-back and fun, and nice after the grilling from the exit interview. You fly home the day after.

Ultimately, although I likely won't be joining them in the future, I feel it was a well-designed process. The recruiters were very friendly and accommodating, yet at the same time blunt and truthful about how hard the job would be. You think that, after reading a few things on the internet, including many of the reviews here, you KNOW you would be willing to do this job? The interview process is really designed to make you question that fully, and if you, like me, realize at the end that it's not for you, the process will have worked and they won't be unhappy at you for it.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job over literally anything else you could be doing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Midland, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Eye opening and Interesting Process. It confirmed my strong interest for the position. The process spanned over two days. They had us busy the whole time. The final evening wrap up was somewhat confusing. It was a social gathering complete with alcoholic beverages. Not quite sure what they were looking for during the night out. One on ones were greatly helpful and informative. Hope to hear positively this week.

Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

Application

Interview

The interview process was long, but informative. Through the first evening there are presentations, ice breakers, and dinner. This was very informative where you learn about all the opportunities available for field engineers; however, it lasts well into the night (2-3 AM). The next day it's up very early for a trip into the field to see some aspect of operations. After the trip to the field, you get to freshen up for exit interviews. I didn't think the exit interview was intense, but I think it flustered some people.

Interview Questions

• They asked what your biggest hesitation to the job was.   Answer Question

Field Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Houston, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

The interviewer was nice and repeated the questions politely when I couldn't hear her well. I didn't get a second interview offer but I had a positive experience considering this was my very first interview to join the workforce.

Maintenance Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2017.

Interview

Mass hiring event, the interviewer didn't even show up so he called me on the phone...and didn't even know which position I was applying for. I had to inform him that I was not applying for an Electronic Technician...even then, I could have gotten that job if I said I had seen static electricity before. I found this out when I got there.

Interview Questions

• Q: Are you alright with dirty jobs in cold/adverse conditions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Denver, CO).

Interview

I had an initial phone interview in which they asked me typical interview questions, as well as whether "I even really want this job". Their tactic seemed to be intimidation. I got the second interview and then flew me to OKC for a 2 day interview with 15 or so other candidates. The activities started in the evening, where we met and got to know one another. They then presented information on Schlumberger and the different types of field engineering. They kept us up until 3 AM and we had to be on the bus the next morning to visit a rig site. We had exit interviews in the evening of the second day, then they brought us to dinner and then we were free to leave.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any reservations for working for Schlumberger?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elk City, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schlumberger (Elk City, OK).

Interview

Interview went well. It was a one on one 30 minutes interview which involved a few behavioral questions. It's important that you show how handy you are and also capable of working long hours

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Two rounds, first round was basically behavior questions with a little bit technical questions. Second round was on-site. 4 interviewers and 1 presentation. It was tough but interviewers were really nice.