Schneider Truck Driver - Regional Dry Van Interview Questions | Glassdoor

5.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Truck Driver - Regional Dry Van Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Schneider (Green Bay, WI) in August 2011.

Interview

Went to HG to talk to recruiter, then had to apply online at home. Phone interveiw and setup for Drug Test ( urine and hair folicle) and DOT Phyisical (waived due to having it done just 2 months prior). Called back with Test ID numbers and was emailed the next avaible orientation dates, time, hotel information.

Go to Green Bay, WI and stay at hotel (Ramada Plaza) which had horrid Key Cards that require at least 1 recharge per day. Consiere service driver drives the van like he's a stunt car driver (AVOID HOTEL TRANSPORT). Room is free for 1 week orientation time; must be able to wake up by 6am to get on Schneider's Bus which is driven by the training teacher.

1 Week training in classroom and Road. They will expect you to do old school trip planning even though they use the Qualcom system which has a GPS. The lunch provided at the training building is mediocore, but better than the rationed breakfast they serve at the hotel at 5:00am.

After 1 week Oreintation, they will tell you who your road trainer will be, or if one hasn't been found.. call you with their name. Recruiter told me you get a week off after the week orientation before going road training. My trainer called me the same day wanted me out in Janesville, WI to meet him Sunday night at 10pm.

You'll be expected to skip up to 3 gears when accellerating or decellerating as your driving; My trainer has the Qualcom GPS and his own (non-truck) GPS in the truck which made directions confusing for me. You'll drive up too 500 miles radius from where you where picked up and be the runner for the trainer to open doors, strap loads, and interact with the customers. You'll have to bring money for your own meals and other monetary items. My trainer only ate at resturants on the road. Bring a pillow for sleeping ( I didn't and used my backpack i brought with my things as a pillow). They'll expect you to bring everything (and it's ALOT) from the Green Bay facility with you.

Total you could spent back to back up to 4 weeks away from home training. You only get 450$ per week during training from the 1 week at Green Bay, WI til your hired on. You can only be hired on if the training driver okay's you for road service.

Interview Questions

• How Long ago did you get your CDL?   1 Answer
  • Do you have reliable transportation?   1 Answer

I was accepted thru training up to the final day of my week training on the road. But I couldn't get the hang of the "bump n run" shifting ( the required Schneider Shifting method of skipping 3 or more gears as you down or up shift). The training driver agreed and after a talk with the Driver Support Manager, I was told either I could stay in the truck another week with the trainer, go back to Green Bay, WI, or opt out for now.

I chose to opt out because I didn't have the money to stay another week, nor to go back to Green Bay, WI for another week. The shifting style they use is very demanding and how they teach it adds alot of stress and confusion to your already full plate while operating the truck. Most of the time I was told to watch the mph... then the tachometer. Shortly after I was told not to and to just listen to what the truck sounds like. All very counter-intuitive from what I learned in my driving course in Sun Prairie, WI.

They are a great company to go to if your fully versed in their shifting techniques or are very good at multitasking while driving. You may also have a good time at training, They require roomates in the hotel rooms; so you might get a nice roommate ( i didn't...) and both laugh at the instructor who sounds like arnold shwartzaneger.