Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 11, 2017

3.2

Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pullman, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. (Pullman, WA).

Interview

First they conducted a phone screen. Once I cleared that step, there was an on site technical interview, then taken to lunch to get the feel for me as a person.

Interview Questions

• Name a component you've designed in Solidworks and describe why you designed it that way, how did that affect the manufacturing of that component, and how did your design affect the assembly process.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

Interview

I sat down with the manager of R&D Department and he walked me through what the company did. After that, we had a very interesting conversation and interview. He focused a lot of it on asking about previous experiences and trying to find out my work ethic.

Technical Communications Editor Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

Interview

I only made it to the 1st round of interviews. The interview was conducted by an employee in HR. The questions were in rapid succession. The first 1/3 were general questions about the company and my resume. The second 2/3 were from the department, and nearly all "Rank yourself on a scale of 1-10." Not realizing that there were would be 15+ of these ranking questions, I had to adjust to the mind-game part way through.

Interview Questions

• Rank yourself on a scale of 1-10 on your flexibility   Answer Question
    • Rank yourself on a scale of 1-10 on your ability to work independently   Answer Question
    • Rank yourself on a scale of 1-10 on your ethics   Answer Question
    • Rank yourself on a scale of 1-10 on your ability to work on a team   Answer Question
    • Rank yourself on a scale of 1-10 for your project management skills   Answer Question
    • Rank yourself on a scale of 1-10 on your ability to use MS Word/ Powerpoint   Answer Question
    • Can you create complex animations on PowerPoint?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. (Plymouth, MI) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online then got a phone call two weeks later (from headquarters in Washington) to schedule phone interview. Had phone interview with HR intern. Mostly going over resume questions, asking about experiences, what I knew and didn't know, salary expectations. Asked me one or two basic technical questions (AC vs. DC, etc.) Didn't hear back until two weeks later when HR called again to schedule in person interview for the following week.
    In person interview was very relaxing. Three people each taking a turn to ask you a question. Mostly behavioral, but there are a couple of power questions and KVL question. Behavioral questions were a lot so be prepared. "Describe a time when..." and so forth. Finally, they asked me to write one of my technical papers or projects (like a circuit) on the board.
    Took me on a tour of the place and introduced me to members of the team.
    Let me know I will hear back within two weeks.

Two weeks later I got invited for a "social" interview where I was taken out for coffee. While out, they offered me the position and answered any additional questions I had.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between AC and DC?   Answer Question
    • Describe KVL in your own words.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to be a leader in a group.   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had a lot of things to do and how did you prioritize them.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you disagreed with a classmate/co-worker and how did you proceed.   Answer Question

Power Systems Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. (Pullman, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

The interview was completely technical about Electrical Engineering concepts. They will test your understanding of basic protection methods, configuration of devices for protection, relay coordination. I finished interview answering 8 questions correctly out of 12 questions. I didnot receive a callback for them about my status.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

Interview

Two over the phone interviews (initial interview with HR and technical interview with the department group) and a final in person interview (involved a technical interview, general interview with department head, give a presentation)

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pullman, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. (Pullman, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone interview was the first step with HR intern, then formal interview with the team you would be working with, then technical interview with the other technicians, then offer letter provided

Proposal Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Very Technical, even for first interview. Were not clear on job duties, and area of focus. Questions jumped around from various disciplines within organization. Was not sure exactly what employer wanted from the intended position

Interview Questions

• Describe How you would do a communication block diagram   Answer Question

Interview

SEL has a relatively lengthy interview process, even for its interns. The technical interview questions were generally difficult and involved-- but they're designed to test your problem solving skills as much (or more so) as they are testing your book knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Hardware interns can be expected to answer basic circuits questions as well as power related questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer - Embedded Systems Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. (Pullman, WA).

Interview

Phone screening with HR and Technical questions followed by a programming question which one must send back in 30-45 minutes. The HR took almost 10 days to schedule next round of technical interview (with team member). Later I was called for onsite interview to Pullman, WA. The planning for onsite interview was meticulous. On the day of face to face interview they took me around manufacturing facility briefing about stuff and technology they use. The HR took me around the SEL campus before bringing to me meet the hiring team where interviews where scheduled through out the day. Firstly, I did presentation on one of the project I was most interested in followed by 2 white board interviews and one interview director. The team took me to local restaurant for lunch and they were really helping. My interview ended with HR briefing about privileges followed by closing session. Although I had done very well I was rejected saying team needs match better with other candidate. Over all it was a good experience for me.