Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego Interview Questions

Updated Oct 26, 2016

2.5

Development Engineer Interview

Interview

It was a standard interview process. Nothing special. Standard questions pertaining to the job card. Most jobs require at sea time or travel due to the nature of the job as stated in the job card.

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Sent in the application, got a call back about a week and a half later. Had an interview by someone in the Education department. About another week later they let me know I did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• What was the most interesting research project you have been a part of?   Answer Question

BYA Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Apply online through UCSD job website. Then they send most qualified resumes to the people who will interview you. I had the 2 education program managers interview me. They told me in advance that I would need to prepare a 5 minute lesson on tide pools to school children and that I would have props to use. It was a typical interview. They called me back after what seemed a considerable period of time (maybe 3 weeks?) and offered me a job. Many of the people that work here were volunteers at one point, or had some experience working at Scripps or as a student, so that could be a good way to get relevant experience and get known (though it won't guarantee you an interview, as you must meet the qualifications and also I was persistent, having not made it through the HR screening previously).

Able Bodied Seaman Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

It was very easy. They needed an AB, and I was there handing in my resume. There was conversation of being hired on with other research vessels, but as I said before this is a temporary position for the time being short while the vessel finds a new owner.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was great

Assistant Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Pretty lengthy. Started with a call to screen. Then a lengthy phone interview. Then in person interview. Overall from applying online to job offer, the process took about 2 months.

Student Assistant IV Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego.

Interview

Respond to posting online. Contacted by one of the lab's staff member. Took a quick tour of the lab and were asked some fairly straight forward questions about interests in the lab and personal interests.

Aquarium Gift Shop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Had a nice interview outside with typical questions. I ended up not getting an offer because my student schedule was too restrictive. It was nice to be able to go inside and look at the aquariums and fish while waiting for my interview to begin.

Student Assistant IV Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego.

Interview

- emailed resume to (future) boss
    - boss arranges meeting for interview
    - asked about programming experience during interview
    - asked if I would be capable of designing a software system while I'm here <-- very much appreciated, he went straight to the point instead of jumping around loopholes of how good am I with programming, etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

BYA (Aquarium Instructor) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

resume and 2-3 personal contacts; through UCSD job listings/postings; University clears you first before Aquarium receives your resumes and calls for an interview; interview is usually done with the Education Coordinator and/or Specialists which are the people above you

Interview Questions

• Design a game or activity for kids on the spot.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation - they told me how the sliding scale salary would work and what contracts I would sign through the University

IT/Mac Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

Applied through Port Triton, got an email for me to meet at their offices. The interview consisted of 4 people interviewing me, one asking mainly about networking experience, but others mostly about Mac experience. Asked me general questions about what applications I used the most often, which applications were in Adobe CS Suite, how would I go about troubleshooting a theoretical problem with a customer, what would I do in case of hard disk failure etc.

Interview Questions

• A user gets an error when trying to open a corrupt Word document, how do you go about solving this?   Answer Question