Scripps Institution of Oceanography Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Scripps Institution of Oceanography

2.3

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Scripps Institution of Oceanography (La Jolla, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

They asked me about my schedule for Fall Quarter. I ended up working three hours on Monday and three hours on Friday. During the interview, they showed me around the lab, indicating all the people and machines I'll be working with.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any relatives working at UCSD?   1 Answer

CAD Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Scripps Institution of Oceanography (La Jolla, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

the interview was informal, we went over my resume and job experience then glance over the job description for the position, then i was asked to draft a fairly simple part and a schematic drawing in solidworks. I got the offer on the spot.

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Scripps Institution of Oceanography (San Diego, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Sent in the application, got a call back about a week and a half later. Had an interview by someone in the Education department. About another week later they let me know I did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• What was the most interesting research project you have been a part of?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla Shores, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Scripps Institution of Oceanography (La Jolla Shores, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

very nice. friendly staff who asked mainly about academic and professional interests. After that, resume was reviewed and conversation about technical skills and future goals. Process took 1 month for interview and discussion and an additional month for background check etc.

IT/Mac Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Scripps Institution of Oceanography (La Jolla, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

Applied through Port Triton, got an email for me to meet at their offices. The interview consisted of 4 people interviewing me, one asking mainly about networking experience, but others mostly about Mac experience. Asked me general questions about what applications I used the most often, which applications were in Adobe CS Suite, how would I go about troubleshooting a theoretical problem with a customer, what would I do in case of hard disk failure etc.

Interview Questions

• A user gets an error when trying to open a corrupt Word document, how do you go about solving this?   Answer Question

Able Bodied Seaman Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Scripps Institution of Oceanography (San Diego, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

It was very easy. They needed an AB, and I was there handing in my resume. There was conversation of being hired on with other research vessels, but as I said before this is a temporary position for the time being short while the vessel finds a new owner.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was great

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Scripps Institution of Oceanography.

Interview

- emailed resume to (future) boss
    - boss arranges meeting for interview
    - asked about programming experience during interview
    - asked if I would be capable of designing a software system while I'm here <-- very much appreciated, he went straight to the point instead of jumping around loopholes of how good am I with programming, etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Scripps Institution of Oceanography.

Interview

Respond to posting online. Contacted by one of the lab's staff member. Took a quick tour of the lab and were asked some fairly straight forward questions about interests in the lab and personal interests.

Data Processing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Scripps Institution of Oceanography (La Jolla, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Just basic behavioral questions, asked what I wanted out of the job. Then showed me around the office and described what they were planning on doing and why they needed some help.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with terminal?   1 Answer

BYA (Aquarium Instructor) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Scripps Institution of Oceanography (San Diego, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

resume and 2-3 personal contacts; through UCSD job listings/postings; University clears you first before Aquarium receives your resumes and calls for an interview; interview is usually done with the Education Coordinator and/or Specialists which are the people above you

Interview Questions

• Design a game or activity for kids on the spot.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation - they told me how the sliding scale salary would work and what contracts I would sign through the University