Sears Backroom Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 16, 2017

1.9

32 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Backroom Associate Interview

Interview

I applied online and about a week or two later I got an email from a manager saying they want to interview me.
Interview was simple and easy. Didn't take too long either. Manager said he would email or call me the following Monday. Monday came and I didn't get anything so I emailed him back on Tuesday. No response. Gave him Wednesday to respond. Nothing. I emailed him again Thursday. No response. Weird how he has responded to my emails before, but now he decides to ignore me. I dropped it after I sent the two emails but got no reply.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Sears

Anonymous Employee in Valley Stream, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sears (Valley Stream, NY).

Interview

The interview process is simple. They ask basic interview questions about your experience with customer service, working as a team, etc. I recommend that you prepare questions to ask the interviewer about the job as it shows true interest in the job and you would also know what to expect.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time when a colleague needed assistance working on a project and how did you assist them without neglecting your job duties.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daytona Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sears (Daytona Beach, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

A little odd,I got a email telling me to go to sears 1 day after i applied online.They made me wait for the manager for about 10min,after that a guy took me in the back and gave me a basic interview,we determined at i would be better as a merchandising/pricing associate instead.After it was done,he said that they dont handle the HR side of things and that i should expect a online message<i guess for the next step,im not sure>.

Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sears (Augusta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied for the Backroom Associate but the manager decided to hire me as MCA. She was very friendly and laid back. This job will be a part time job for me and she decided that she didn't want to overwork me and felt like the backroom associate would be too much on a person with another job. I was actually pleased that she took this into consideration. She asked a few questions and we talked like we new each other for years. After the questions she told me right then that she was going to hire me, I asked her if this was something she had to think about or was this her final decision because I had another interview somewhere else the next day. She told me to call them and tell them that I've accepted a job at Sears!

Interview Questions

• 1. Are you capable of working alone?
      2. Do you set goals everyday? If so do you meet these goals and deadlines?
      3. Do you work well with others or alone?
      4. Availability
      5. Any retail or merchandising experience?
      6. Are you able to upsell, are you comfortable with asking people to open credit accounts?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Janesville, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sears (Janesville, WI) in September 2016.

Interview

I was escorted to the office area where I was greeted by the manager, Clinton Miller, who was doing all of the seasonal interviews himself. There was some friendly conversation and exchanging of pleasantries. Very well-mannered and professional, I was very impressed. He didn't do the standard interview interrogation, but he conducted the interview like a casual conversation; for example, "Why don't you just tell me about yourself? Some things you like to do for fun and what kind of jobs or work you've done in the past. I want to get to know the people we work with because at the end of the day we're a family."

He was very honest about the store's performance history and what areas they could improve in. Also gave some enlightening answers to the questions I asked. Very complimentary and he gave feedback near the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you had to go out of your way to help a customer or be creative in how you solved their problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sears (Rockford, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Meet with manager in employment office, talk/answer questions about job duties, your availability, and salary. This is apparently half how they tell if you are right for this job, the other half is your skills/qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Are there any duties in this position that you would rather not perform?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indiana, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sears (Indiana, PA) in June 2016.

Interview

Was called and invited to interview. It was a brisk 20-30 minutes. The following day met with the department lead for a tour of the backroom. Both the interviewers were very friendly and amicable, however I did not get a good impression of Sears company as a whole. They looked very understaffed and the general atmosphere was very depressing. At the end, the offer was for minimum wage, extremely variable hours ranging from 15-20 hours per week. Even if I was accepted for this position, I would have declined after the experience. Company DID NOT send any kind of email or notification informing that I wasn't selected for the job, I had to check my application status online to figure that out.

Backroom Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sears in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received a call 3 days later. I went in for 2 interviews over 2 weeks. At the end of the 2nd interview, the woman said they would call me with a time for a 3rd interview because the store manager wasn't there. Haven't heard back since

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you have helped others
      Why do you want to work at Sears?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cutler Ridge, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sears (Cutler Ridge, FL) in May 2016.

Interview

Did an application got a call back the same day, came in about 3 days later for my interview.The interview was fairly easy , they asked very simple questions it shouldn't be too difficult if you been interview before. Got the job on the spot , was giving papers to take for the drug test and waited for the background. I'll say the whole process took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you was face with a difficult issue and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Capitola, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Sears (Capitola, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

I arrived ten minutes early and ran into one of the actual backroom associates rolling out a package for a customer. He called the manager over the speaker and I waited for ten minutes. The worker came across me again and he texted the manager and I waited another ten minutes. One man walked out of the backroom and gave me an odd look, then talked to the worker. He came out and greeted me with an even more astonished look on his face. Here, you interview in the job area you're applying for. He asked me what position I applied for as if I'd made a mistake in where I was.

I am a woman.

They set me in another office for about ten or fifteen minutes while they just walked around and talked to each other, then finally the real manager came and greeted me with an equally astonished look on his face. I instantly knew I was not going to be hired for the position just from the looks on their faces and the feeling of the room. He kept emphasizing having to constantly move around and all the boxes you have to carry and the "heavy" products you need to roll out to the customers.

The ones you put on a dolly that you wear a back-brace with. As if I've never worked a dolly in my life.

I've worked inventory positions before and stocking positions before and I've done cashier position before, all of which I described, and I said twice that I prefer working in the backroom. Being on the floor really agitates my social anxiety disorder and working in the back lets me have an income that I can handle. That part I didn't say for obvious reasons: I'm already a woman, talking about mental health would have certainly doomed me. I figured from the look on his face that I'd end up being recommended for the sales floor. A woman called me today and sure enough said the manager recommended me for a sale floor position.

If you're a woman in my area you better look like a man or else you probably won't get the position. The thing is, my mother is 57 years old and works at a hardware store and carries around 60 lb tubs all day and she's maybe ten pounds lighter than I am. She's the only woman who works there.

For people who don't think race and gender play into what job you get just because it says on the application "We do not discriminate", think again.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you provided outstanding customer service.
      What do you look for in a manager?
      Can't remember many of the others, but they were more basic "what did you do at your last job" kind of questions.   1 Answer