Sears Consultative Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sears Consultative Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Feb 7, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sears (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied on the Sears website and within minutes received an invitation to a phone screen interview and a link to schedule a date and time. I did exactly this, and would end up having to reschedule twice because the phone screener either never called or “had something come up” right before the scheduled phone screen. I ended up having the phone screen almost a full week after it was originally scheduled and feel this may have ultimately cost me the position. The phone screen went very well and I ended up being scheduled for a formal phone interview with the hiring manager a few days later. That interview also seemed to go well with the hiring manager often sounding like she was going to offer me the job on the spot. Only that wasn’t the case as several days later I received a canned “thank you for your interest but we have decided to go with someone else” letter. The rejection stung tremendously as I really felt like I was doing them a favor by even applying. Sears has been struggling with a lot of turn over. I would have been a great hire someone who not only would have been great at the job but who also would have stuck around and moved into other positions. This would be kind of like being shot down by the homeliest girl in school or Payton Manning offering to come out of retirement and Quarterback The Cleveland Browns but being told “no thank you, we aren’t interested.” The position required very little experience and I brought to the table 12 years of effective selling experience. Apparently the “talent acquisition” people either have no idea for talent, or have an eye for it but feel threatened by it.

Interview Questions

• Name A Time When You Had To Deal With A Difficult Customer And How Did You Handle It?   1 Answer
  • Why Do You Feel You’d Be A Good Fit For This Position?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Sears

Consultative Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sears.

Interview

The hiring process begins with completing the online application at the Sears website. The online application takes about 30 minutes to complete if you already have your resume and cover letter ready to go, and involves basic questions and scenario - based evaluations of how well you would function on the sales floor.

If your online interview goes well, it takes up to three weeks for you to hear back from the company requesting an interview. Be patient. Don't bother calling the company asking for your application's status- the managers at the store level will conduct your interview but they do not select hiring candidates to bring in for an interview. That is done by corporate.

If corporate likes you, they will schedule an interview for you at the store you applied to, which will be conducted by a store manager. If your interview goes well, they will contact you within a week to complete your paperwork and start training.

Interview Questions

• What hours and days are you available to work?   Answer Question
    • How long do you anticipate you'll be working with us?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer
    • Who is your favorite superhero and why?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you were able to calm and resolve a problem between other people.   Answer Question
    • What did you like about your last job? What did you hate about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sears (Winchester, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

Wasn't interviewed-transferred from another internal position. Took an online and personality test that took about an hour to an hour and a half to complete. Spoke to manager to ask questions about position. Didn't have much of an interview since I transferred internally from an internal position and the management already knew me and my work.

Interview Questions

• Spoke to manager in advance of getting position to learn about the position.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Same pay as former internal position

Consultative Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sears.

Interview

The process has changed over the years, You can apply on line. Lot's of questions on application. Not everyone passes because there are a lot of gotcha questions, just have to take your time doing it and think. but it's easy to get hired. They are always hiring because they have lot's of turnover.

Interview Questions

• You must have weekends available because it is retail.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sears (Fort Worth, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process went pretty smoothly. I got called in not long after I applied and went about the process. Both the Sales and Store managers interviewed me and that was it.

Interview Questions

• How am i going to try to sell more than the other guy?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Coeur d'Alene, ID

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sears (Coeur d'Alene, ID) in August 2015.

Interview

We did two separate interviews, one with the direct supervisor of my department and one with our merchandising lead. Both interviews were laid back and simple, no complicated questions or over-the-top "go team" messages. Due to my scheduling, the interviews were done on different days, but I was given immediate feedback on the interview each time and offered a position at the end of the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to overcome an objection from a customer that caught you off guard?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sears (Saint Louis, MO) in August 2015.

Interview

Lies, RUN!!!!! You have to get away they will drain your family and rip you off. They want your vehicle and savings to get a couple of referral remodel jobs from your family and friends and then your broke going to meth trailers for improvements!! RUN...RUN...RUN... I cant be serious enough! this is a very...very...very bad gig!!! Managers have no soul, and he brags about it!! Get OUT!! Please listen! Then they will mess up the jobs they do, and just pray you don't give them your family and friends to work on!! RUN!!!!!

Interview Questions

• None, He'll show you skewed numbers to lie to you....RUN!!!!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sears (Peoria, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with an assistant manager, he asked 2. behavioral-based questions. Just a few questions about my work history and then he said he wanted to send me to a second interview with the store manager. The store manager was busy and ask him if you were sure you wanted to hire me when he said yes he said go ahead and do it and forgo the second interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had an upset customer what it was and how you dealt with it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Concord, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sears (Concord, NC) in June 2015.

Interview

People were very nice and cordial, made me envision myself working there. Everyone on staff seemed to have great chemistry as well. Both hiring managers were very nice and approachable. Also visitors to the store seem very friendly. Next, I was given a clear run down on policies and protocol. Overall I felt it would be a great place to land my first job.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you got a customer to purchase an item, even though they did not intend to make a purchase.   Answer Question

Consultative Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sears in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was straightforward in that you were asked to describe your skillset and the interviewer was very precise in giving information to what the companies expectations were and giving you the opportunity to present what you bring to the company. Overall the interview is to be viewed as being a smooth process as well as being informative. Even though I did get an offer for the position. I would definitely applied for another position and be willing to go through the interview process again with this company.