Sears Digital Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Digital Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sears (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

How can I describe this interview... well to begin I was approached by a third party recruiter for this position. I was initially hesitant because I think everybody knows the impression of Sears as a company (IT'S DYING). The recruiter pitched me to the UXSears team in downtown Chicago and got me a interview. When it came time for the first interview (week 1), I met with one of the Creative Directors and I told they had two open positions within the UX team, both Digital Designers. I hit it off really well with the Creative Director and was invited for a second interview The Creative Director even changed my view on the company and told me the overall plan to get the company successful again.

For the second interview (week 2), I met various other Creative Directors and other employees from both Digital Designer teams. According to my recruiter and how I feel the interview was going, they really liked my work and my personality (Personality is the key to this whole story...) After interviewing for the second time, I was left in the dark for a couple days until my recruiter told me that someone got the first Digital Designer position, but the second one was mine to have except they just needed a couple more days to figure it out. I was really excited, but held my breath because I've heard this a lot. After a couple more days (week 3), I got a call from another employee from the 3rd party recruiter saying I needed to go for a third interview.

I was under the impression that I met with everybody and they had made their decision. I was kind of pissed because it's been taking way too long, but I still went on the interview. This time, the interview was a test. I had to redesign one the online pages for mobile since I would be a Mobile Digital Designer. When I had to present the test to the various employees that I already met, they seemed to like it and said they would make their decision very quickly. This is when it started to get interesting...

Two more weeks went by without hearing anything. I contacted the third party recruiter and she had nothing to report until one day when I was presented an offer. Getting an offer usually means the whole process of applying is over, but according to Sears thats wrong. Even though I accepted the position, I had to take a personality test and apply to the position AGAIN for corporate records. I was told the personality test wouldn't change anything, but they lied. The test is brand new for the design team and most employees hated the idea of it. Well anyways I took the test honestly and failed it. The test was ill relevant to the position because most of the questions related to their retail employees and not a designer environment.

After I failed the test, they retracted the offer and shut down all commutation between the third party recruiter and the various other employees at the UXSears team. Overall the whole process was really unprofessional and other designers looking for a position at Sears should know this before going into the interview.

Interview Questions