Sears Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 14, 2017

2.1

300 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sears.

Interview

I initially applied over Indeed.com and was given a call back within a few days. When I arrived, I was taken into a small back-room in a hallway behind their breakroom with the hiring manager. She sat me down and asked me about my availability and experience with power tools. Once we got past those questions, she led me outside onto the sales floor to give me a tour and showed me the different types of power tools that I would be selling. Part of the interview was that I had to pretend to sell a power drill to her using some key sales points she'd instructed me to use earlier. I felt it was a bit forced considering I was applying for a sales position at the mall. In any case, I understood it was necessary to see if I could sell power tools (I'm a 5'2" girl). Unbeknownst to her, I'd worked in manufacturing for several years and was able to comfortably handle the "faux sales pitch". Afterwards when I successfully finished that portion of the interview, she led me back into the hallway room and offered me the position at minimum wage. I told her that with my prior manufacturing and managerial experience, I was expecting to negotiate at a higher rate but she was utterly firm and took on a tone that suggested she didn't believe I was telling the truth.

All in all, I felt like the interview process was incredibly extensive and over-drawn for a position that only firmly offers minimum wage with zero benefits and with the expectation to work overtime. I ended up turning down the job offer and went to work elsewhere.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Sears

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sears in June 2017.

Interview

Very friendly. They make it clear with what they want and I appreciated the amount of detail they gave me for the role I was applying for. The managers I spoke with were very light-hearted and we shared a few laughs. They're also very flexible with college students which is a plus for people who are also working on their education.

Interview Questions

• What are some hobbies that you like to do?   1 Answer
    • What did you expect from your manager at your previous workplace?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lake Grove, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sears (Lake Grove, NY).

Interview

Quick typical sales interview, was disorganized, interviewer asked me to "sell" him a piece of office equipment. Was offered a position on the spot, and accepted simply because I needed work immediately.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell me this stapler?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Weatherford, OK

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sears (Weatherford, OK) in May 2017.

Interview

I was taken into the back office with the owner. I was asked where I lived and if I had reliable transportation. I was given a job on the spot.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sears.

Interview

Brief, really just filling this out so glassdoor will let me see their info they try hiding until you fill some things out. Take this all with a grain of salt. Pay no attention to it. It means nothing.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sears.

Interview

I was emailed to set up an interview and I decided to call back. While waiting to call back I asked the lady to pull up my resume. 1) She couldn't find it even though I spelled my name to her 2) When I asked her the regarding policy for the drug testing (Not mentioned in the application when I applied) I asked her what Sears policy was on drugs and if they handled their drug testing at a federal or state level. She scoffed at me. Literally laughed over the phone like I was joking and I felt pretty perplexed at such a response. At her response before she even bothered talking again I felt pretty disinterested in her lack of professionalism at the question. I told her I didn't want to pursue to follow the screening into the group interview they had coming up afterwards.

I felt like it could have gone better, but I believe Sears should take some time to teach their employees to be more professional. Even had I not been using a Medical card or not, the level of professionalism was sub-par to poor. Not impressed.

Anonymous Employee in El Cajon, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sears (El Cajon, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I liked the people I worked with but management was awful and had no idea what they were doing. They kept hiring new people but didn't have enough hours to go around.
    I waited 3 weeks for orientation and was told I would receive training on the computer. It neber happned. I had no idea how to use the register and had no knowledge of the floor. My first day I was alone and closed by myself. I even ended up being locked in the store after hours alone.
    My other coworkers complained about hours as well. I'd get 8 hours in a month. It was not paying the bills.

Anonymous Employee in Caguas, PR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sears (Caguas, PR).

Interview

They ask you about the things that you can bring to the company. How do you work in group. The interview is very professional and organized. The process is not difficult.

Interview Questions

• What is your vision for this company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

It was formal but very non up tight. Was in an small office and lasted for around 20 mins. Afterwards I received a follow up can withing three days. My hire was prompt after returning to the store. And about a weeks worth of training before I was set loose

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Park, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sears (Cedar Park, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Sat down with the sales manager, talked about past sales experience, was informed of how sales work with Sears, did a mock situation, showed basic skills in adding attachments to a sale, started the next day.