Sears Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sears Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sears in January 2017.

Interview

The first round was a phone interview with the senior manager. It was purely technical, I was asked questions about time complexities, OOPS concepts and two design questions. It was more like a discussion. Next It was a 5 rounds of skype interview with 5 different people moslty Sr.Software engineers and architects. Mainly asked about my previous work experience and Java related questions, One simple coding question where I had a code in collab edit.

Interview Questions

• First round was difficult compared to the remaining. Design questions like how will you design a traffic signal system.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Sears

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sears in October 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter online, saying that they are building a new team with machine learning guys, and they offer great salary and sign on bonus, and the position is 100% remote.

After two weeks, they scheduled a phone interview. After passing this round, there was another phone interview in the following week which lasted only 10 minutes, and I got an offer.

This process is much different than other software position interviews, only two rounds, and no onsite. In fact, second interview didn't ask any technical related question, except what the difference in JavaScript between == and ===.

It was really wired that they gave me an offer even they didn't evaluate me carefully, and the offer is not competitive at all. I tried to negotiated with them and asked if I can remote work. Then a HR called me saying that I was required to relocate to Chicago and I said "yes, I can." Then she asked me if I have H1B, I said no, then she said they are not e-verify company, so they want to hold on my offer. I guess they just want to cancel my offer by making any reason. If they are not e-verify, then the HR don't need to ask me if I would like to relocate, just the first reason didn't work. I also checked online to see if they are e-verify, and they are!

I didn't waste much time with this company, but the experience was really bad, they canceled my offer without any reason. They are just lying. Don't waste any time with this company, and I will never purchase from Sears, just like what I used to do so far.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sears.

Interview

I applied online and then received a personality test that I filled out online. After that, I was contacted by the recruiter asking for a 30 - 45 minute phone interview with an engineer there. He asked me about a prior internship in detail and then asked me to code problems for him on a code editing/sharing site. I was contacted by the recruiter a short time after with an offer.

Interview Questions

• He asked me to reverse a linked list, which I did iteratively and recursively. He then asked the time and space complexity of each, and then asked me a few optimization questions.   Answer Question

I haven't declined, but haven't accepted either (yet). There's no option for that.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sears (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

The whole process took 1 month. I was first contacted by phone, then they scheduled an OCR interview session which consist of 2 back to back 45 minutes interview with a director and a senior software engineer. The questions were fair and if you did practice you should be fine.
    Then I was invited onsite at Chicago, where you will have a super day interview with multiple directors, engineer and architects. They mostly asked behavior questions and ask about your past experiences except some of the architects will try to grill you with hard coding questions.

Then you can go home and wait for a response, it is usually very fast because they discuss about your performance right after the interview.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Sears.

Interview

Campus Interview for 1 hour; Two guys there, the first man was very friendly but the second was kind of rude and impolite anyway. Not sure why they would send someone with terrible communication skills and hiring knowledge. Half hour for either of them.Questions in first talk were unbelievable easy but then I met the second guy who is doing coding things in the company. Basically they use Java in Sears.

Interview Questions

• In circus people own characteristics of height and weight and can stand on other one's shoulder if lower and lighter. I was asked to find the maximum combination of this game in finite number of people. It belongs to the algorithm questions and is hard among the categories easy, medium, and hard.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Sears in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through University. There were total 2 rounds of interviews on campus. results were declared within 2 weeks of scheduled interview.

Interview Questions

• Both the interviews were technical in nature. Asked me everything from my resume. Question on design, coding were asked. Java was main focus. Interview ended with few questions on SQL. Prepare oops concepts properly. Also have a refresher of your past projects in case they were done quite a time back.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sears (Bloomington, IN) in February 2015.

Interview

First round was on campus.
    It had two 30 min rounds.
    1 technical interview from a senior developer and 1 behavioral by a manager.
    Technical round was easy to moderate as the questions started based on resume, skill set. Later it moved on to specific questions from the interviewer like Binary search trees, Java Collections, few problems using collections.

Interview Questions

• Common Algorithms, Binary Search Trees, Linked Lists, Java Collections, projects in resume, and some typical behavioral questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very standard - A phone interview followed by an onsite interview.
    Phone interview: Java skills were tested along with basic algorithmic skills on sorting.
    Onsite Interview: Behavioral, Algorithms, DS, Java, Knowledge about other technologies.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Sears.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, one after another one shortly. Nothing difficult and the interviewers know what they are asking. Overall the interview quality is one of the best that I had. Still waiting for the invitation for on-site interview.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sears (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Hiring process apparently was pretty organized. Had 2 rounds (1 technical + 1 behavioral) on campus. In technical they started the discussion with projects that I had undertaken and later on java(mostly basic stuff). Since, I had mentioned Angular js on my resume, I was asked to write a basic MVC architecture for Angular js application. Apart from this they questioned on threads, JSP and Data Structure(pretty much the regulation questions).

Within 2 weeks they scheduled for Onsite interviews(3 technical : each 45 mins). They focussed on Design Patterns like Singleton, Factory and Observer. Apart from this they interviewed us for concepts/technologies like Database concepts(basics), Java,Threads, Angular Js and Struts. In last interview they gave scheduling problem to solve and later asked to optimize it.

Overall, it was decent interview experience. Prepare OOPS, Data Structures, Design Patterns and Algorithms. It will be good to have understanding of any framework or new javascript libraries like angular.

The HR responded back within a week with an offer. Package offered was very competitive.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual. Everything asked was pretty standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Package offered was very competitive. Still they were open for a negotiation.