Sears Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sears Store Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Sears

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sears (Detroit, MI) in April 2014.

Interview

Asked about previous experience as store manager . How you were able to drive sales. What was your most successful accomplishments and how did you achieve them. Very relaxed and comfortable with who I interviewed with

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult situation with an associate to handle   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Sears

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sears (New Brunswick, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

Waited forever, over 30 minutes past my appointment time, in a horrible looking environment and no one even said hello to me. All I listened to were the current employees complaining and cursing about their job or their Manager and really talking about how much they hated the store and the manager that was running the appliance department. All they kept saying was that she was useless and really dumb and lazy and should fired because she speaks to her people like they are pieces of garbage.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself ? Really ? What brings you to Sears ? Really ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sears (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with HR recruiter, onsite interview with Store manager where I was walked through his location, onsite with DM, then interview with Regional, it took about 2 weeks total.

Interview Questions

• three part questions, your past work experience how many employees have you managed, customer based questions what does customer satisfaction mean to you, analytical questions overall expenditures with running their unit with a sales volume of.......   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sears.

Interview

Management is given a behavioral based interview guide. All questions are "give me an example....., describe a situation where..... Most managers ask additional questions (traditional interview questions) but the bulk are behavioral based.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you have complete a project with limited resources. What did you do? What was the results?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sears (San Diego, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Desperately poor. I have an impeccable retail cv with 25 years of solid experience managing 7-8 figure stores throughout California and the UK so when I applied for a job managing the sears outlet close to home I knew that I would at least get to the interview stage. I had previously been offered, and turned down, a store manager position in Orange County so I really thought a lot of this would be a formality.

My CV returned me an almost instant telephone interview and I got up at 4 am to be well prepared for that phone interview (they interview outside of California where I live.) Less than 3 minutes into the phone interview I got the email notification that I had progressed to the background check stage - this means that I was interviewing - the chap interviewing thought I was good enough to move onto the next stage - sight unseen - on the strength of a 3 minute long conversation (the interview actually went on a fair bit longer.)

I finished my interview - knowing I did an outstanding job - and then proceeded to fill out the lengthy background information part of the interview process. Three weeks went by with nothing from them.

I finally did a follow up call and was told I had not been successfully shortlisted for an interview - I was rather amazed.

A quick bit about store manager roles - in general, these are mid-level managerial roles normally requiring a BA at Sears/Walmart/Target levels. Internally, you can progress to store manager - but it's hard to do if you have college grads coming in to fill the vacancies - so this wasn't an internally filled role - it was an open competition. Normally, 25+ years of retail ought to passport you into a DM level position - but if you are changing countries, or have had an absence (say pregnancy, or education) then you stand a much better chance of going in at a lower level and working your way up quickly.

I won't go into my retail background - but in addition to a VERY impressive CV spanning a quarter of a century - I have a Masters Degree from one of the top three universities in Europe, and 2 post graduate degrees. When I finally got to speak to someone about the process to try and figure out what went wrong she literally just tried to pick apart my cv - here are a couple of almost verbatim exchanges:

HR: "but on your CV, from 1999-2003 you did not hold any managerial positions"

ME: "I think you'll find that is incorrect - look at my cv under the years "1999-2003""

HR: "yes I see that you had some managerial and supervisory positions - but you did not have a consistent managerial position for the whole four years"

ME: "well yes - that is true – I supervised for one of those – do you see why that is though?"

HR: "well no - that's the problem - your CV doesn't explain that"

ME: "I think you will find it very much does - look at "education" under the years 1999-2003"

HR: "you were at university it says"

ME: "yes, obtaining a master's degree. So not only did I have managerial and supervisory roles during this time contrary to what your associate told you was a reason for rejecting me - I actually held those roles with responsibility for 13 million dollars' worth of sales annually - while I was studying FULL time for a master's degree"

HR: "well yes - but you also have a gap between November 2011 and March 2012"

ME: "yes a four month gap"

HR: "well you didn't have any managerial positions during that period"

ME: "true - I didn't think it would particularly be an issue given that I had prior managerial experience going back to the 1980s"

HR: "well our HR associate did not feel you were as qualified as other candidates"

ME: "okay - and i can accept that you may have had other candidates with over 25 years of proven retail management experience in multi-billion dollar organizations who also have a masters degree and two post graduate degrees - but you really had so many of us applying for a sears outlet store manager position that you couldn't invite me to interview to ask these questions about my CV?"

It's really not worth the rigmarole they put you through although I think I was more incensed that they tried to attack my credentials more than anything else (I was already working at the law firm I am currently at - but I wanted to be closer to home) but it does make sense of the relatively vapid approach to customers sears employees are taking these days - if that is how they treat potential candidates for running their stores - god knows how they treat other applicants and I don't even want to think about how employees are treated!
    I subsequently withdrew every application I had in with Sears and closed my account this really is a terrible way to treat people.

Interview Questions

• how did you here about this position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sears (Englewood, CO) in June 2014.

Interview

It took several days for the manager in charge to even call me back for the interview -- I followed up with the manager and HR to schedule an interview and It took a week to get someone to respond with an update. When I finally I contact, it was one of three interviews. After offered the job, it took yet another 2 weeks to make the offer official. Really bad overall.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sears (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Interview was very intense, first a phone interview they 2 more with DM. They explain they are looking for commited individual with the desire to grow with the company, process driven and self motivated.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work history   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sears (Denver, CO) in January 2011.

Interview

Long questionnaire, a few interviews with people who don't know how to run stores. They were mainly focused on how good I was at inventory, but their system was so antiquated, there wasn't much that could be done.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever stolen anything? Are you sure? Are you really sure?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Interview

5 interviews...only 1 in person. Interview questions were not specific and some of the interviewers you could tell really didn't care...they were just trying to push you thru. The regional interview was the biggest joke. The district manager is not very bright. The district h.r. is incompetent.

Interview Questions

• What kind of management experience do you have   1 Answer

Negotiation

Typical low ball offer which i countered and then they countered back

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sears (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Called for a phone interview with in a week after filling online application. General screening questions. Week after phone interview set up with a face to face interview with current store manager. Great conversation about daily duties and what to expect from the position. Following week was set up with interview with DM. More great conversation about my experience and the qualifications of the job. Then called for a interview at their corporate office with a "panel" round of interviews. There was no panel , just a regional vp who didn't seem to want to be there. Asked 3 questions,pre concerned about locations of my previous jobs than my experience.

Interview Questions

• Unbelievably asked if my store made any profit( Sears hasn't made a profit in 7 years!)   1 Answer