Seattle Genetics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Seattle Genetics Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2017

2.8

Chemist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Seattle Genetics.

Interview

They replied very quickly over email and set up a phone interview. The phone interview was to the point but was relaxed. They asked questions about my career goals and standards questions like that and then asked me more specific questions that pertained to the job and my qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Specifics about analytical instruments and spectroscopic identification.   1 Answer

SharePoint Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bothell, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Seattle Genetics (Bothell, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

- Applied online, process took 2 hours using Taleo (horrible software as many know)
    - Two and half weeks later got email from in-house recruiter to setup phone screen
    - One week later had first phone screen, it went very well, great experience
    - One week later phone screen with HR, went very well, insisted that I set a salary number
    - Two weeks later in person interview:

In person panel interview, took about 3.5 hours and met with about 12 people in groups.
    Talked about different technologies and what I would do and select in different scenarios.

The negative:

- After last interview, was informed that I would know within 10 days if I was selected. After two weeks I have not heard back, contacted HR and no response. After another two weeks, I contacted HR again and no response. Then few days later, and a whole 39 days after last interview I got a canned response that they went with someone else.

They made me wait 39 days and I had to ask twice for an update. This is not a good way to treat your potential employees, it's inhumane.

Overall start to finish, the process took 3 months.

Associate Director, Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Seattle Genetics (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

The company HR personnel approached me to see if I would be interested in AD position in Business Development since I had necessary expertise that they were looking for. I was informed that they were having trouble getting candidates since it includes move to Seattle and therefore the position was open from long time. I wasn't actively looking for opportunities and at the outset it seemed like a good opportunity so I decided to interview, however, I only found out how wrong I was after finishing the interviews. It all turned out a waste of time and I eventually declined the very good offer (from Compensation perspective) they gave me and would highly recommend everyone to stay away from this company and this position due to its outdated technology, dysfunctional team environment, backward thinking scientific and management team which is not open to newer outside technologies. Its not conducive environment for a BD professional to learn, do deals and make impact

1) SGEN's ADC technology is outdated and unproven outside of HL with Adcetris. All of their attempts over years have failed in solid tumors and even liquid tumors outside of HL. Additionally, this technology's (MMAE and MMAF) patents are expiring relatively soon, so if SGEN doesn't find other ways to innovate it has no future. Other competitors (DSI, Immunogen and Mersana) are innovating are already ahead of the curve.
    2) Given the outdated ADC technology you would expect the organization (Scientists and Management) to actively look outwards for new technologies to grow their platform. However, I found out during the interviews that Senior Scientists and even management is reluctant to do deals and look at other technologies. Any attempts to bring in new ideas are met with skepticism and held to much higher standards than their own internal pipeline. Being a company led by founder CEO who is married to ADC technology makes it extremely difficult to innovate in such environment and not good place for BD professional who has to constantly try to thread the needle and face potential disappointment on loosing good deals that you bring in after lot of hard work
    3) It was very apparent that the team is inward focus and doesn't want to look outside. There is no strategic planning done at SGEN and scientists including the CEO decide which molecules go ahead and churn more and more ADC molecules in the world of immuno-oncology where they may not be relevant. There is no concerted effort to look at oncology landscape and study the white space to ascertain if developing a molecule would be commercially attractive. However, by their own admission during interviews I learned that they just churn out molecules from targets that they can use and exploit in ADCs with their technology, sure recipe for disaster and subpar returns in long term on the pipeline R&D dollars
    4) The team seemed pretty dysfunctional, one Director in R&D that I spoke to was bad mouthing one of their asset in Phase 3 (33A) and betting that it most likely will fail. I dont know if it was due to territorial/ownership reasons within organization or if it was really true (If true may actually explain their play to acquire late stage asset from Immunomedics which has gone south and resulted in lawsuits). One Dir in Management was very abrasive and was trying to make me fall on my face with constant interruptions, uptight attitude and trying to belittle my experience. I was asked questions like, how would you deal if member of Senior Management were to scream and yell at you. I appreciate the honesty but this is not a work environment I look forward to working in and I was already looking forward to running out of there with such line of questioning
    5) The BD opportunity involved looking for more technology supporting their outdated ADC technology (new linkers etc. ) and support on other matters. The BD team is not as strong with members themselves lacking good understanding of current oncology landscape and science behind them. I was asked multiple times what types of technologies I would look at and they were writing down my responses and their follow-up questions suggested no basic understanding of the current landscape. They recently overpaid for the questionable Unum technology platform and got themselves into lawsuit over Immunomedics deal

Overall, at outset it seems like good opportunity but would not recommend it since it focuses on enhancing their outdated ADC technology, working in dysfunctional team where everybody is very inwards focused and not receptive to new ideas (this is antithesis of BD role) and questionable future. I regret my decision to go for interview there, it was waste of time but I would never have found out about all these details from outside, so hopefully this is helpful to other candidates.

Interview Questions

• What is your style of negotiation?   1 Answer

I didnt like the organization, team and the role

Biostatistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Seattle Genetics (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Questions about previous experience on resume, behavior questions by HR, presentation. Talking with different groups managers and other senior and junior statisticians. HR are helpful to schedule the interview process and make reservation for flights and hotels.

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Seattle Genetics (Bothell, WA).

Interview

Straight forward process, phone screen with HR rep, come in once or twice to meet with manager and peers. After all candidates interviewed, interview team meets to discuss candidates and offer opinions to hiring manager.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Seattle Genetics (Bothell, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

I had a phone screen interview. I was informed of the role I would be doing if selected. I talked about my skills, how I manage my day and my goals. After a 20 minute conversation, I was informed by interviewee that I had the job.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I handle a hectic day or schedule. What my attitude is when working with multiple people and groups.   Answer Question

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Seattle Genetics (Bothell, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by one of SeaGen's internal recruiters. We initially discussed the position and gauged my interest level. We scheduled a formal phone interview to probe into my background, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. I had a one-on-one lunch with what would be the HR partner to the role, someone I would work very closely with. On another day I had one-on-one interviews with each member of the recruiting team, followed by lunch with the hiring manager. Throughout the process the hiring manager was very communicative and kept me in the loop regarding the process. My final interview was on another day with the VP of HR. While the process was somewhat lengthy and involved a number of people I soon discovered it was all part of the inclusive culture within Seattle Genetics.

Senior QA Specialist Interview

Interview

Typical - telephone followed by in-person with a group of people. It was fairly typical until it got to the peers and supervisor of the hiring manager. It seemed they had their mind made up even before I walked in the door. Left with a feeling why did I travel all this way and spend the major part of a day for a position that I was not really being considered for.

Interview Questions

• During the interview, the questions were typical. Explain achievements, conflict resolution, and positive/negative experiences.   1 Answer

Manager, Portfolio, Program and Alliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bothell, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Seattle Genetics (Bothell, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

It was the worst interview experience I have had - and I have worked in management consulting. I was contacted by HR for phone screen. She asked me various situation based questions. I had questions regarding the position for which she replied that she is just a HR. She scheduled a 1:1 with hiring manager. During the discussion with hiring manager, it became clear that they are actually looking for a project manager with experience in later stages of drug development rather than a portfolio manager - which was fine as that is what the interviews are for. Anyhow, I dropped a note to the HR who had reached out to get the email id of the hiring manager to drop a thank you note as a courtesy - I never heard back. Well, they do need training in professional etiquette.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bothell, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Seattle Genetics (Bothell, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

It was an interesting interview, however it was a bit overkill having to be interviewed by numerous people for a simple contract position. The people interviewing me were great but the interview process was too long. I lost some job opportunities as I waited for the interview process to move along. It is a mistake I won't be making twice.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions by some of the team members who interviewed me (they were five people in total). Position-specific question by only one member in the group (ex: How comfortable are you working with Photoshop?) The one question that stood out the most was: "Can you work well under stress?"   1 Answer