SendGrid Interview Questions in Boulder, CO | Glassdoor

Interviews at SendGrid

2.4

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Boulder, CO).

Interview

They threw way more people into the interview than necessary. It seemed they were just trying to get interview experience for current employees, but they value they added was marginal. Process took way too long (over 30 days) and my job title ended up being changed the day I started anyways, so the job I interviewed for is not the job I got, which I didn't realize until later.

Interview Questions

• What superpower would you want (seriously)   1 Answer

Negotiation

Have another offer, and negotiate hard to market rate base salary. You won't see another pay increase until you get an "external promotion" aka "leave for somewhere better".

SendGrid Response

Feb 27, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on the interviewing process and we're glad that you made the decision to join the team. From a salary increase perspective, we do have an... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Boulder, CO) in April 2013.

Interview

I applied through the website, and received an email back with options for scheduling an initial phone screen with one of their recruiters. After the 1/2 hour phone screen, I had a 45 minute technical screen, which involved doing a couple of programming exercises on CollabEdit.

I passed the phone technical screen, and was invited to an in-person technical interview at their Orange County, California office. It was a three-hour interview.

The in-person interview was technically challenging right from the beginning. Although I had studied up on core computer science concepts prior to the interview, the first question was on a topic I hadn't reviewed (merge sort), and it threw me off. Later, I was asked to write a binary search algorithm. I wrote the base algorithm, but I had a logic error that took me a long time to find.

There were four interviewers - three software engineers and the VP of engineering.

Interview Questions

• Given two arrays of numbers, write a method to combine and sort the two arrays.   1 Answer

Human Resources Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Boulder, CO) in July 2011.

Interview

Recommend in through a trusted connection. Phone interview w/ CFO to learn more about the role. Met VP Sales, CFO and CEO all in one day. Decision to hire came within 1 week. Overall a great process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Easy and collaborative, a win/win

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Boulder, CO).

Interview

I applied in December, it took about 3-4 weeks to set up an interview. I had a phone screen that lasted about 10 minutes because, clearly, I was more than qualified. I was then called in for an interview. I went in for the interview and it was awkward. It is an extremely causal atmosphere, large open room with all of the desks back to back; no cubicles. It's also incredibly noisy. Everyone is very young (maybe a few over 40). I spoke with 3 different people, one of which was a phone interview. It seemed they really didn't have any viable questions and they were either unprepared, didn't want to be doing the interview or they were just trying to get it over with since I was an employee referral and they were all leaving for their company trip to Mexico the following day. Either way, they were all preoccupied and I left there feeling pretty degraded and insignificant. I was qualified, in fact, over qualified for the position, but they're looking for a personality fit instead, which is fine. I'm convinced that I was eliminated due to my age, just from things that were said and the disinterest in all of the interviewees. If you're over 50, you may want to reconsider as this is a very young company. If you do interview, don't dress up - you'll be over dressed.

Interview Questions

• None. It was all small talk, which was a dead give-away that I wasn't being considered for the position, in addition to comments like, "all employee referrals get an interview".   Answer Question

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SendGrid (Boulder, CO).

Interview

Unorganized. Very poorly coordinated. The interview was scheduled for a time that would be physically impossible to arrive by and they booked the flight! They scheduled onsite including out of state travel before initial phone screens were done. Zero follow up after the interviews. I only received a rejection form email after I submitted travel expenses a week later.

They talked about candidate experience in the interview a lot. Hopefully because they know they need to improve their's.

Position being open a long time is not surprising. Nobody could tell me why their CEO was recently fired. I got three different answers to how many employees will be working in Redwood City office. Nobody is on the same page about anything.

Interview Questions

• What do recruiters get paid out there? Yes that was actually asked.   1 Answer

Business Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Boulder, CO).

Interview

Screen phone call with someone from HR with some general behavioral interview questions; followed by a phone call with my future manager with some scenarios & questions trying to assess my ability to reason & think outside the box. After that, I went in to the office for 3 30 minute interviews with all of my future managers and a 30 minute tour of the office. They all appeared to be asking questions off of a Google doc.

Perhaps it's because it was at the end of the typical intern hiring season, but the whole thing was a 2-3 week process. I got an offer the same day of the in person interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at SendGrid? What do you do for fun outside of work? Describe biggest failure, etc.- typical interview stuff.   Answer Question

Customer Billing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Boulder, CO).

Interview

Seemed like a great company. Lots of perks such as a casual work environment. The culture seemed fun. Had a phone interview with the recruiter, which went well. Was called in for an in person interview. Thought the interview went very well and was told that I would be contacted within a few days about their decision. In fact there were many things that led me to believe I had the job, but 2 weeks later I received the standard reject email.