SendGrid Database Administrator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

2.0

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Irvine, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

The position was entry level and I went through a total of four rounds:

First Round was a 30 min screening round with the recruiter. Basic HR questions around my background and experience so far, why I was interested in the position, whether I would be able to commute, etc. He had informed me that I would be going to the next round, and sent a mail later the same day.

Second round was a couple days later on-call for 30 min with the manager I would be working with. A few basic technical questions (experience with NoSQL databases, how does a JOIN work) and some background related. He gave me the last 15 min to go over any questions that I might have. Got an email confirmation for the next round the same day.

Third round was the next week with a technical interview on video call with the Principal DBA. A lot of questions around databases and MySQL, but nothing too difficult or that I couldn't answer.

Fourth round was in the office another week later. I talked to four people individually one after the other. The first was a talent manager from the Boulder, CO office, second was with the Senior DBA, third was with the manager I had talked to in round 2 and the last was the the Principal DBA from round 3. The interviews with the DBAs were technical.

I was informed a few weeks later that they had moved ahead with a different candidate.

I would say my overall experience was quite good. Everyone I spoke to was polite and courteous.

Interview Questions

• How does a table join work?   Answer Question
  • What is the difference between relational (SQL) and non-relational (NoSQL) databases?   Answer Question
  • How did you handle a difficult situation at work?   Answer Question
  • What is something you said at work that you regretted and how would you have changed it if you could have?   Answer Question
  • What do you do when you have a bad day at work?   Answer Question