SendGrid Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at SendGrid

1 Interview Review

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Anaheim, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

An employee gave my contact information to their local recruiter, who contacted me. We set up a time to talk. It was a one-hour conversation, very chill, mostly focused on cultural fit and personality. He explained the interview process, was forthcoming with details about the position and why it was open.

Very shortly after talking to him, a coordinator contacted me to set up a phone interview with a potential peer. It lasted ~45 minutes and questions started out kind of crazy (ice breakers, maybe?) but then focused specifically on the role. Some behavioral, some about philosophy/approach behind the role, some tactical. Wasn't sure how I did after hanging up and was worried that I'd bombed.

The next business day, I was contacted and scheduled to come in for the final round of interviews. The interviews included a peer, the hiring manager, a lead developer from another group, and a lead developer from the group I would be working with. All went very well and I left feeling confident that I had a good shot at an offer.

Within a few days, was contacted by a more senior HR person to gather information about my past salary. The note implied they were putting together an offer, but of course left plausible deniability in case they decided not to. They also asked for references, and sent spreadsheet surveys to them. At that point I knew they were serious and an offer followed in about a week.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions around working with difficult people, setting up the scenarios so that there weren't any win-win answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much room for negotiation. Offer was nontrivially lower than past salary, and did not include a bonus. They explained how compensation is determined and it seems they are constrained by paying within a narrow range to all employees of a certain job. Equality is good, but some people have more experience than others and should be compensated for it, IMO. Was able to bring them up about 5% on compensation and no more.