SendGrid Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SendGrid Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at SendGrid

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Denver, CO) in January 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with HR / Recruiting, Phone screen with manager, screen share coding interview, in person technical interview.

Screen Share coding interview was straightforward and not difficult. Basically, they give you a jUnit suite and some stub code, you have to write the method bodies to make the tests pass.

Group coding exercise was difficult for me. Multithreaded programming question, not necessarily difficult in itself but I'm most comfortable with Java and the machine was not really set up as a Java dev box so that took some time, and on top of that, I don't really mess with low-level Java thread code too much, so I had to spend a lot of time Googling. Was a bit nerve wracking.

Whiteboard architectural talk went OK, I felt like the interview team had pretty much made up their minds already by that point.

Finished with 1:1 interview with a manager, more of the soft skills interview questions. Lots of things that felt like trick questions. Really pays to think carefully about why interviewer is asking these questions.

Eventually rejected saying they wanted a candidate with "more coding experience" which I take to mean, they wanted someone who gives the aura of being able to handle multithreaded code with ease. Fair enough, from talking to them they run a very high volume operation and I'm sure threading / parallelism is a big day to day concern.

Interview Questions

• How do you think your co-workers would finish the sentence "<candidate name> is great, EXCEPT..."   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for SendGrid

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Redwood City, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

One of the most political company I have ever interviewed with. They say that they 4H (honesty, hungry, humble etc) but I don't think that these guys have any integrity. They maintain double standards when you are interviewing in CA vs Denver. Two of my friends also interviewed at sendgrid (CA) and like me both were offered a role less than their current role even though we are overly qualified for the position. CEO of the company is interested in having a development team in Bay area but the Denver team (who would do your interviews) will ensure that you will get a role less than what you currently are by stating extremely lame reasons so that you would reject the offer. Even their own recruiter is frustrated about this as there had several rejections of offers due the Denver team's strategy of giving lesser roles. Their interviews are extremely easy at least for me. The fact that they have no engineers in bay area is a clear assertion of my conclusion. I just want to bring this to their CEO's attention so that he can take proper steps to address the problem.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Orange, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Standard hiring process involving an initial call with an in house recruiter to discuss the company, basics about the role and salary requirements. This was followed by an hour long call with a hiring manager that proceeded to ask me questions related to basic data structures (difference between an array and a list) and networking (how does TCP/IP work) as well as object oriented programming related questions. The third phase involved a HackerRank like quiz that involved fixing some code (Java) to get some unit tests to pass. Unfortunately the environment where this was done was buggy and unrepresentative of a real development environment. The company decided to end the process in spite of the problem being with the coding environment.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between an array and a list?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid.

Interview

Overall, it’s a 4 step process.
    Recruiter call, followed by hiring manager (discussed about projects, tech background and small coding problem). Once it is through, there is a online coding challenge.

The final round is onsite interview:
    Team is very friendly and helpful all the time.
    It’s a 4 round interview:

Hiring manager interview
    Cultural fit interview
    Coding interview (not so complex, but I could not make it on time with some hints)
    Design interview (distributed caching design, and some questions on consistent hashing and on AWS)

Overall, interview/questions are so not tough and it’s a positive experience with all interviewers.

One thing I think they could do better is: provide feedback or response (at least after few days) after the interview is complete.

Interview Questions

• Design distributed caching system?
      How to handle hot keys?
      How to handle node failure, rebalancing?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Boulder, CO) in April 2013.

Interview

I applied through the website, and received an email back with options for scheduling an initial phone screen with one of their recruiters. After the 1/2 hour phone screen, I had a 45 minute technical screen, which involved doing a couple of programming exercises on CollabEdit.

I passed the phone technical screen, and was invited to an in-person technical interview at their Orange County, California office. It was a three-hour interview.

The in-person interview was technically challenging right from the beginning. Although I had studied up on core computer science concepts prior to the interview, the first question was on a topic I hadn't reviewed (merge sort), and it threw me off. Later, I was asked to write a binary search algorithm. I wrote the base algorithm, but I had a logic error that took me a long time to find.

There were four interviewers - three software engineers and the VP of engineering.

Interview Questions

• Given two arrays of numbers, write a method to combine and sort the two arrays.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at SendGrid (Denver, CO) in October 2019.

Interview

The fastest process ever. I was contacted by recruiter through linkedin, quick intro call, hackerrank.
    Next day after I passed hackerrank I was invited 4 hours long onsite with 4 people.

All interviewers were friendly and generally very nice persons to talk with, definitely one of the better experience so far.

Interview Questions

• 1. Hackerrank with easy to medium questions.
      2. onsite with design, coding, hiring manager and culture match   Answer Question