SendGrid Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SendGrid Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at SendGrid

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Anaheim, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I was interviewing for their Anaheim Location in California. It was a long, but a relatively easy series of interviews. Beware though the Co-Founder makes the final decision even if you get along great with the team and are very technically skilled--you may still not get the job. Please read my experience below!

I was initially contacted by a recruiter, after submitting my resume, who asked me questions based on past experiences and typical HR questions. I was then scheduled for a technical phone interview with one of their web architects. The technical phone interview questions mainly focused on algorithm type questions (find unique values in array, etc.). After successfully completing the phone interview, I was then scheduled for an on site interview where I met with them team i was going to presumably work with and one of the co-founders.

I first met with two members of the group, separately, where they asked a few technical questions (showed me PHP code and asked what it did), but they focused more in telling me about the group and making sure I would be a fit for their group. We got along great and I'm sure they would have agreed with me that I would have been able to fit in perfectly.

I then finally met with one of their co-founders who asked me how a Hash Table is implemented and explained a little bit about the company's history. Afterwards I asked many questions about the business and then we got into the discussion of how I would fit in. He told me he was going to have me come in for one final interview to be considered for a position as a Release Engineer (which made no sense since I thought I was already being considered for a position with the group i just interviewed with). Ultimately he said that I would be considered for the other position as well. And right before I left he said that he has received really good feed back from the rest of the team and that I would be contacted for a final interview.

A few days later, after waiting for my next interview to be set up, I got an email stating i was being rejected......How does somebody ask you to come for a final interview only to cancel on you and reject you later. Supposedly he said after thinking about it more he thought that I wouldn't have been a "good fit", even though I got along great with the team. My Technical skills also weren't the issue since he said that I was very intelligent and my motivation was impressive.

Its sad because everything was going so well and I really liked the team there!!. Would have loved to work at SendGrid, but ultimately their Co-Founder thought differently. Oh well his LOST!!!!! :)

Interview Questions

• How is a Hash Table implemented?   1 Answer
  • Other computer science questions asked where directly taken from Google Code Jam!   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for SendGrid

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid.

Interview

Had two phone interviews, one with company recruiter and one with a developer. Both seemed to go okay. In the developer interview I had coded with collabedit. Then I was given a relatively complex coding assignment and was asked to return it in one or two days. I did that at a large amount of inconvenience. Didn't hear back for two weeks and then was given a generated email rejection.

Interview Questions

• Culture seems to be big here, so there's lots of unexpected questions around that.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at SendGrid (Denver, CO).

Interview

Went through the HR screening process and was later scheduled to have a technical interview with one of their senior software engineers. The technical interview went over generic questions about design patterns like "what is polymorphism", etc. and later went on to use a collaborative text editor only to be asked to implement a binary search method. The description of the position listed PHP as the primary language and made no mention of any language were you would ever need to [re-]implement something like this, thus I ended the interview. Forming this same question as a pre-interview exercise would have been much more appropriate. I would never take a position where I had to solve difficult problems that require concentration while having someone breathing down my neck, and for the same reason I would never take a position that screens employees utilizing this setting.

There is an unlimited list of programming concepts that one needs to selectively navigate depending on the requirements of the specific role or craft you want to work in/with. Asking questions that do not apply to that role during an interview is poor form. Test the knowledge and experience relative to the role instead of just trying to test what a candidate doesn't know (you'll pass up on plenty of great programmers). I've worked with plenty of people in the past that were better at reading technical articles and explaining design patterns while not knowing when and when not to apply them, much less being able to get work done in a reasonable time-frame.

Interview Questions

• Implement a binary search method; I fully expected the next question to be "describe a btree structure and it's variants". :)   2 Answers

3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid.

Interview

Applied online. 1-2 weeks later received call from recruiter. The recruiter asked basic questions about my resume. The recruiter did not have a deep understanding of the role. A second phone screen with a hiring manager was more technical. The person asked specific questions about the programming language they intended to use. They assigned homework which was required to completed in 24 hours. After that was a video interview.

Interview Questions

• there were questions about the fundamentals of programming languages, events, architecture, and how previous experience related to the role.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at SendGrid (Denver, CO) in February 2019.

Interview

Initial 30 minute phone screen consisting of behavioral questions, technical questions, and inquiries about previous projects.
    I passed this phone screen and advanced to the next stage which was a take-home technical challenge. This challenge involved building a simple single page web app in HTML, CSS, and jQuery after fetching data and images from a provided API.

I spent about 8 hours on this technical challenge and showed it to some colleagues to look over before submitting. As far as we all could tell, it worked perfectly, satisfied all the requirements, and contained several features to make it look more like the provided comp (even though these features were not listed as requirements).

The SendGrid recruiter I was working with informed me about a week later that they would not be proceeding with my application, but was friendly and offered to answer any questions I might have. I wrote back asking for some feedback about my submitted tech challenge to learn if I had inadvertently made some mistakes. No response, as is unfortunately typical for many companies. Whether it was due to the companies lack or organization or consideration for candidates who invest time in these challenge, I don't know.

Interview Questions

• Phone Screen
      -Describe a project you've been working on recently and a new technology you're interested in.
      -Describe a project you're proud of.

Tech Challenge
      See above   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Orange, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I met them at a career fair and talked to one of the engineers, who was really nice. I had a technical phone interview which consisted of various CS concepts. On-site was one round of coding and hiring manager. Overall, straightforward interview process with Leetcode easy questions.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Denver, CO) in December 2016.

Interview

Two parts: a phone screen asking basic experience/skillset related questions. That was followed by an onsite with two rounds. First round a technical interview with 2 engineers on the team involving some data structures/algo questions + role-specific applied technical questions. Second round was with a manager and involved behavioral questions.