Seneca Family of Agencies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Classroom Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Seneca Family of Agencies (San Leandro, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

I applied online and got a screening phone call one day later. We scheduled a group interview for next week with 5 other candidates for similar positions. After I got a call for an interactive interview at my specific site.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if it was your first day and a student calls you a B word?   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Seneca Family of Agencies.

Interview

Group interview, computer test, onsite interview. It is a long process, but I enjoyed all of it. everyone was friendly and professional. The Group interview included 4 interviewees and 1 interviewer, we all took turns answering the same question. We were told the group interview was so that they could see all of us interact with each other and to help hurry the process.

Parent Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Seneca Family of Agencies (Anaheim Hills, CA).

Interview

Called for phone screening then brought in twice for interviews. The phone screening took about 20 minutes am the in person interviews took about 1 hour each on separate days. The interviews took place in Santa Ana.

Interview Questions

• 2 separate sessions 1-2 weeks apart with 1-2 interviewers -Scenario questions , why should we select you? type questions   1 Answer

Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Leandro, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Seneca Family of Agencies (San Leandro, CA).

Interview

Contacted for phone screening and group interview scheduling 10 days after application submission. Group interview with a few other candidates and two recruiters for various other positions at their San Leandro office. Contacted with invitation to schedule second interview with local team 4 business days after the group interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you interacted with someone that was culturally different from you.   Answer Question

Youth Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Seneca Family of Agencies (Oakland, CA) in October 2019.

Interview

First they called and did an interview over the phone. Afterwards they invited you to a group interview with around 8 or 9 other people. We were all asked a series of hypothetical and anecdotical questions that we answered taking turns. The interview took around 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• Some questions that came up were "speak of a situation in which you've had to relate to someone that was very different to you" or "children are very curious, how much of your private life would you share with them?"   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Seneca Family of Agencies.

Interview

The group interview lasted about 1.5 hours. The interviews gave several scenarios to which each interviewee had to answer. This made the interview feel quite long. But, the interviewers were very friendly and did not rush anyone, which was a bonus. the last half of the interview was the the interviewers providing information on the company and what to expect if hired.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a student who has screamed profanity at you in front of an auditorium?   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Seneca Family of Agencies.

Interview

A screening call, a first interview and then a second interview. The second interview included a computer test on Microsoft Word and Excel.
    The whole process was made very easy by Seneca. They were incredibly kind and made the interview a lot less stressful. Both interviews were one on one, meeting with different people each time.
    They checked my references shortly after the first interview, and were very communicative throughout the process of doing so. Overall, I would say it was a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were faced with a challenge that didn't have a good outcome   Answer Question

Classroom Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Seneca Family of Agencies (Oakland, CA).

Interview

The whole process took me about 5 weeks. First, they contacted me via phone to set up a group interview. The group interview took 2 full hours and included 6 other people who were mostly interviewing for different positions in different locations, so it didn't feel too competitive.
    Next, they called me to invite me to interview with 2 directors of the program. This was a pretty straightforward interview with standard questions (strengths, weaknesses) as well as requiring examples of your past experiences and how you handled them.
    They called me immediately to set up a 1 hour interactive interview at one of the public schools they work with. I had no guidelines on how this interview was supposed to go or what was expected of me. When I arrived, the interviewer was unfriendly and I could tell she immediately disliked me, or was extremely annoyed I was disrupting her day. She told me that she would be watching how I interact with the kids and adults, but not to be too coddling or give the kids too much attention. I was confused, but I feel I did my best considering the vague instructions. I only got to spend 20 minutes with the kids outside for recess and 10 minutes inside the classroom, so I couldn't really get a feel for the job. She ended the interview by asking me a few questions, and I left with a bad gut feeling.
    Sure enough, a few days later HR called saying I was not recommended for that position, but I might be a fit for a position in one of their non-public schools, which is what I originally applied for anyway. I had to do yet another interactive interview, except this one was 3 hours, 2 hours in the classrooms and 1 talking to the director. This one went much better as I was able to actually see how the job would be like and interact more with the kids. About a week later, I was contacted with an offer.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if the kids asked you personal/inappropriate questions?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

Interview

I submitted an application after confirming that the job was still open, despite the fact that it was posted on their website for 2 months. About a week later I got a voicemail from HR asking if I could call back because they want to "discuss the position" with me. I (wrongly) assumed they wanted to let me know about changes to the position, and was surprised when I called back and the first question I was asked was, "why do you want to work here?" Luckily I had an answer ready! I was then asked a series of basic questions such as, do I have a valid drivers license, can I legally work in the US without sponsorship, am I over 21 years old. I wonder why HR does these over the phone - seems like it could be much easier for applicants to fill out a form online along with their application.

About another week later I got a call from the staff person who's hiring the position. We had a great chat about the role and they asked me questions like, why am I interested in the role and my relevant background, etc. We talked for about 30 minutes and they went over details of the position and also answered my questions. They said the interview timeline was pretty straightforward - they are doing more phone screens, and hopes to bring in candidates for in-person interviews the following week.

After a few days I get an email from the same staff person asking if I could come in for an in person interview the next day. She meant to ask me sooner but had sent the email to the wrong email address. Minutes after I get the email, they text (!) me on my cell phone to see if I've gotten the email, and if I can come in for an interview the next day. They also offered me another option - come in for an in-person the following week. I chose the next week option since I didn't feel like I'd have time to adequately prepare for an interview the next day, particularly given that they scheduled a one hour interview AND a one hour "performance task." I have no idea what kind of "performance task" I would've been asked to do. I was definitely surprised that they decided to text me. It is totally fair to make a mistake in sending someone the wrong email, but it seemed like they were trying to rush me in for an interview and that didn't feel good, particularly since it wasn't my fault that the email didn't get to me right away. But anyway, we scheduled the interview for the following week, so I decided to let the text/email thing go.

Two days before the in-person interview and performance task I get a call from HR telling me that the position has been filled. Oddly, the HR staff referenced a different position than the one I applied for, but HR assured me it was the same position. The titles were drastically different, i.e. one had "assistant" and the other had "manager" in the title, so not sure what's going on there.

Okay, companies, staff, anyone who does hiring. Here's the deal. If a candidate asks you if a position is still open, be honest - say that it is open BUT that you're already interviewing candidates (if that's the truth!). This gives transparency to the process and lets the applicant know that there is a bit of urgency. I was pretty shocked to learn the position had been filled given that the timeline I was told was pretty standard, and it sounded like the process was just beginning. If I had known they were as far in the process as they were, I would've taken the offer to interview the next day, not waited until the following week.

Also, I thought it was incredibly unprofessional that the staff hiring the position texted me to try to schedule the interview. I understand they had sent the email to the wrong address and were trying to work quickly, but it came off as very disorganized. Moreover, I as the candidate should not be penalized for not taking an in-person interview the next day. My interview should have been honored. After the interview they could've turned around the same day and said, thanks for applying, but we filled the position - this would have at least made my time feel respected. Submitting applications, preparing for phone interviews, and preparing for in-person interviews takes a LOT of time - and it's really important that applicants' time is honored and respected. So in the future I hope this company is more honest about their hiring processes and doesn't waste applicants' time by accepting applications for months, only to hire out of no where. You never know what's going on behind closed doors and there could be a totally reasonable explanation for the cancelled interview, but I wish (again) that there had been more transparency in the process all along.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Why are you a good fit for the position?   Answer Question

Seneca Family of Agencies Response

Oct 4, 2019 – Digital Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your interview experience. We strive to have clear and efficient communication with all of our applicants! I’m sorry that you did not experience this to be the case in this instance. Many of our applicants tell us that text messaging is a useful way of communicating along the way and but it’s helpful to hear the feedback that this is not for everyone. I am sorry that the position was filled before you had an opportunity to interview in person. As you mentioned, this position had been opened for a number of weeks at the point you applied and we had many candidates at different stages of the process. We apologize for any inconvenience that caused you in terms of time spent preparing. I am also available to speak with you personally regarding your experience if you would like to contact me directly at 510-427-8637. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! Jenny Ventura, Director of Model Implementation and Assessment

Youth Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Seneca Family of Agencies (San Jose, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

I went in for an initial group interview in a room with 3 other candidates and one interviewer. we were asked a lot of hypothetical based questions to see what we would do in those situations. I moved on to a solo interview a few weeks later, where more personal questions were asked about myself.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if it's your first day on the job and a child calls you the "B" word?   Answer Question