Sensata Technologies Mechanical Design Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 5, 2017

3.2

29 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sensata Technologies.

Interview

After speaking with one of the recruiters at a career fair where they did a mini technical interview, I had an on campus interview. It was with two engineers who basically asked me to walk them through my resume and one of my projects in more depth. After about a week, I was invited to an on-site interview for their Friday Fun day. There were about 20-30 people interviewing for internships and full-time positions. There was a short panel presentation with younger, new employees about their experience and why they chose Sensata. Then the interviews began. There were four separate 1on1 interviews--three with engineers and one HR. The technical ones were pretty straight forward, basic engineering foundations and some had physical products with them they asked about.

Interview Questions

• Looking at this part which is for x application, how and what would you change so it could be used in an application where the forces the interface would experience are 3 times greater>   Answer Question
  • Basic beam deflection questions, but applied to interesting applications.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Sensata Technologies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sensata Technologies (Providence, RI) in November 2016.

Interview

I met some current engineers at a cereer fair. Almost immediately, I was handed a product they were working on and asked about ways it could be improved. Apparently I did well enough to get an interview a couple of days later. The interview was ~30 min. and was all technical. I got maybe 2 minutes to ask questions about the company.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about a project I recently worked on, then kept probing deeper into the physics/engineering. They also gave some hypotheticals and asked what I thought would happen.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sensata Technologies (Worcester, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I got a on-campus interview from WPI Career Fair. It was about 30 minutes and non technical. The recruiter asked me about my projects and past experience, and I never heard back from him.

Interview Questions

• How does your past experience help you to build up knowledge?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Attleboro, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sensata Technologies (Attleboro, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

I met Sensata at my university's career fair. They immediately asked me technical questions. I was then contacted via phone and asked to set up a 30 minite phone interview. Although that interview was with an engineer, he just asked questions about my resume and then had me ask him questions. Make sure you have question to ask! A few days later I received an invitation to Sensata's "fantastic Friday" where there was 1 HR interview and 3 technical interviews.

Interview Questions

• Draw a stress strain curve, where is the plastic and elastic range, how do you add resistors in parallel   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sensata Technologies (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Poor preparation from their side. The interviewers were picked on the spot which extended the time I was waiting for someone to show up to meet me. Interviewers didn't review my resume prior to the meeting. There was no sign of an HR department coordinating the process. They had no interest in knowing my qualifications or background, their main interest was on testing my knowledge of shafts and joysticks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Attleboro, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sensata Technologies (Attleboro, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Four interviews: three technical, one behavioral. Technical interviews are with engineers of various experience levels and behavioral is with HR rep. Technical interviews tend to focus heavily on topics learned in classes listed on resume and are fairly evenly distributed among those projects. Ask about projects that you've worked on and they may ask specific questions about those projects.

Interview Questions

• If you take a rock in a boat and dump it over the side, what happens to the water level.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Attleboro, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sensata Technologies (Attleboro, MA) in September 2015.

Interview

They found me online and HR gave a call, setup a phone interview with their VP. The VP asked technical questions about structural mechanics and material science. I have worked on some high tech projects so he was already impressed and told me they would want me to come for onsite interview. The onsite was very easy. They asked technical questions and also personality questions. 1 HR, 2 Engineers, 1 VP. They gave me offer in next 2 days but was actually told by VP indirectly that they want to hire me.

Interview Questions

• HR asked questions about best word to describe me, what are my strengths, describe ur interests in3 words. The engineers asked me about my project experiences, technical questions related to ansys and cantilever beam deflection. They ask questions related to engg. fundamentals so study that.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer - Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Attleboro, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sensata Technologies (Attleboro, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

I got their call the next day after campus career fair. And I was invited to their Fantastic Friday next week. We had 3 technical interviews and one HR interview.
    The first Technical interview went well for me and we had nice conversations.
    HR interview was good also(I thought).
    Then I started to fell tired, because I got too excited and did not sleep the night before.
    The 2nd technical interview was not all about technical, he asked me a lot on my past experience . At last, he picked a component and asked me how this was made.
    The last technical interview was similar to 2nd one. He asked about my past experience and at last he asked me a intelligence question about how to arrange 4 people to go across a bridge with just one flash light in the night. I have limited time and I felt exhausted and I didn't give out the answer.

Anyway, as my 1st interview in my life , I did my best. I'm an international student from China. I would call this interview a positive experience for me. If they knew me better, they would know that I was the best candidate. But how would they knew me as well as I did?

my advice is: relax and be your self. U can never be fully prepared. I spent a whole week on this interview and they had questions that caught me off guard. relax, you have plenty of chances in the future.

Interview Questions

• Heat transfer(not simple at all, u have to use ideal gas eons and mass conservation);
      component;
      intelligence question .

No need to prepare these questions, as I said, relax and be your self.   Answer Question

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sensata Technologies in February 2015.

Interview

The hiring manager never reviewed my resume and was shocked to see the kind of work i do at my current job. The interviewer works on joysticks and pedals and all he knows is how shafts work and their applications. 9 out of 10 questions included shafts and he never asked any question related to mechanical design. He thinks he is a very intelligent and had no clue on basic mechanical design questions. Its just waste of my time and their money to invite someone onsite without reviewing the resume. They do care "technical aptitude" but it is very confined to their work area and the interviewer never knew what ABAQUS was but he runs simulations in other software's.

Interview Questions

• Joystick....joystick and joysticks again..!!   1 Answer

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sensata Technologies.

Interview

After the career fair, I got a on-campus interview from sensata. They asked me questions about heat transfer, how does engine works and thermodynamics. Also asked about my previous project and let me ask some questions about the company. The question are not that hard if you understand, it's hard to prepare because they are in different fields.