Sephora Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sephora Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2017

2.6

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora in June 2017.

Interview

My interview started at 4 and was over at 5:30. Me and 2 other girls had a group interview together. Similar to most other peoples interviews there were blocks on a table and one person got to look at the picture for 15 seconds and instruct the other girls, only using words, how to do the blocks and we did 2 different shapes. The next part of the interview was called "The Next Big Thing" where you had to pick from 4 different ideas/events that would help sales in a certain department of Jcpenny. Then you get 10 minutes to write a sales pitch on your paper and why you think it would drive the most sales. Then you will present to the group and after that you and your group will discuss together who you think had the best pitch and nominate them. Lastly, we just wrote our full names and availabilities on a piece of paper and it was over.

Some things I would recommend to do:
1. Get to the interview 15 minutes early and start conversation with the other girls and smile at them and seem interested in getting to know them
2. Show that you can work with a team and be a leader at the same time
3. Don't be overpowering and seem like you have to be right. It is ok if your pitch doesn't get chosen.
4. Going back to 3, if your pitch doesn't get chosen then vote for who you think did the best and really compliment everything good about their pitch.
5. Really stress in your pitch that jcpenny and Sephora is more that just a store that it is a family and that it is important to make sure everyone feels welcomed.
6. If you don't know that much about make up make sure that you make it clear that you want to learn and that you are good with customers.
7. At the end of the interview ask well thoughtout questions that show you are really interested.
8. Again, SMILE SMILE SMILE

"You can learn how to do eyeshadow perfectly and how to do eyebrows but you can't learn a passion and a love to work with others and make them feel uplifted"

Interview Questions

• No questions were asked. We just did the group activities.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Sephora

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

This was a relatively short interview. Usually in larger groups but I only had one other person in mine with two managers. Very nice, respectful, open interview to get to know you and your passion for beauty

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

May go through 2-3 interviews, with specialist and then store manager and then even district manager depending on position applying for. Asked basic questions on experience and abilities. Then interviewed on what you can bring to the company if hired. District manager interviews are mostly for management positions and possibly for employees being made permanent from seasonal positions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Pretty easy it was a really chill environment the people who interviewed me were very nice and professional I interviewed with one other girl as well the overall process was good I was just very nervous. DONT go into a Sephora interview nervous

Interview Questions

• Name one time you've dealt with a dude customer and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Viejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sephora (Mission Viejo, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was mislead on interview times and process by mgmt. I think its hard to get hired if your outside thier clique. When I called her back she place me hold for a hour.

Interview Questions

• I have couple basic questions about background.   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sephora in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online, and received a call back about a month later. Surprisingly the manager calling went ahead and set up a one on one interview with me that same week.
    When I got to my interview I waited a little bit until he came out, then we went to the food court to sit down and begin with the questions. He was super friendly, yet remained professional. Something he told me that will continue to stick with me & hopefully you guys is that he told me " I wouldn't hire anybody that I wouldn't invite into my own house."

2cd interview was a cashier demo- since no one else has managed to put this experience & interview down, I figured I would. So for the demo, it was me and another girl that they had decided to bring back. When they were ready for us, they brought us to the back , where there was a little cart , set up with the rewards items and a bunch of random items in a bag. So basically what they had us do was take turns at being the cast member & being the costumer. They very briefly explained the beauty insider card to us and had us "act out" how we'd be on the cashier. There was no scenario ,they just wanted to see how you would interact with the paying costumer. The other interviewee gave me absolutely nothing to work with, but the manager said that my personality still shines through so it was okay. So even if your partner is giving you one word answers and answers short, TRY to spark convo anyways, they definitely look for that. So what you want to say as a cast member is stuff like
    •how's your day going?
    • I can see you've been doing a lot of shopping, what kind of cool stuff did you get ?
    • do you have a beauty insider with us today? No? Would like to sign up for one? It's completely free ! (Make sure you know what it is and how it works, and if you don't know, make it up!
    The second "scene" we did was a return, they wanna see how you would hand a return scenario"
    What you wanna say is stuff like
    •what was it you didn't like about it?
    •if you want, I can grab ""Emily" from our skin care and what she can do is find what DOES work for you , and what will perfectly suit you.
    -show you care, try to either get them to exchange or buy something else that will be better for them.

3rd interview was with the store director. Again, super friendly, but remained professional. Asked me questions about my availability, why Sephora , what I'm looking for our of this job, basic questions like that. This is the most import interview, it will ultimately decide whether you get the job or not.

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Why Sephora?   1 Answer
    • Has there been a time where you went above and beyond for a costumer.   1 Answer
    • What does costumer service mean to you?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

3 interviews. First. With hiring manager in a group of 4 people. You want to make sure you stand out from the crowd. Then u do another interview with the manager in charge of the store. It was a quick process. In the last interview is were I got the job offer.

Interview Questions

• Why u want to work at sephora?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (Syracuse, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I participated in a group interview with two other people. We were asked a bunch of typical retail questions. Three days later I was called back for. Second interview with the store directer. That interview was more personal. It was more of a Q&A on my experience and more casual. We spoke for about ten minutes and she ended up offering me a job. But she said I was over qualified for cashier and told me she was putting me up in color. Better than I could have expected.

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sephora (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2016.

Interview

I did not have a group interview. I applied online for both Cashier and Color Consultant positions and nearly a month passed without hearing any thing back. I decided to print my resume and hand it in to the management in person. While in the store, one of the managers asked me a few brief, casual questions about why I wanted to work there and what my availability was. I then received a call back in the next 3 days.

I was scheduled an interview with the Assistant Store Director a week later, and another week later, I interviewed with the Store Director. It took her another week to call back and finally offer me a position.

I gave this a neutral position because I was told by the Assistant Director that it was a permanent position, but later told by the Director that it was only for seasonal. The process took almost 2 months. The positions were posted online in late July, but they told me they do not officially hire until October.

Interview Questions

• What made you want to apply for Sephora?   Answer Question
    • (For part-time position) How can you balance this job with other obligations in your life?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (Edison, NJ) in September 2016.

Interview

Process was fast, they called the day after I applied. Began two weeks after I met with the hiring manager and store director on two interviews. They asked basic customer service questions on the first interview, the second was just to talk with the store director so they can see your people skills.