Sephora Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 22, 2017

2.7

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Sephora (New York, NY).

Interview

It was really weird, it was a group interview they only asked us 3 questions then they had us build a little sculpture out of different colors blocks as a teamwork exercise; and then it was over.

Assistant Merchant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

Face-to-face interview at the corporate office. I met with the merchant and director. According to HR, salary is capped at 70k. I'm not 100% sure on bonus structure, but I think it's 12-24%. Very difficult to receive qualitative feedback as to why I wasn't hired- they used the cookie cutter explanation that another applicant was better for the role. It would've been much more helpful if they briefly explained why. This is my main reason for rating it a negative experience.

Before the interview, I highly recommend you visit one of their stores and study the category for which you are applying, for example, color. Choose a brand and do a SWOT analysis. This will prepare you in case the hiring manager asks for your perspective, which is most likely.

Interview Questions

• If you walk into our store, what is one thing we excel at? What can we improve? How would you market this product or brand? How do you deal with having difficult conversations with the brand? What are some of the beauty trends right now? What are some of the upcoming beauty trends? Who are you favorite social influencers? How is your previous work experience relevant to this position? What cross-functional teams have you worked with? What is your greatest career accomplishment? Name a mistake you made and how you solved it. What is your working style? Describe your ideal manager. What is your favorite and least favorite job and/or manager you've had so far and why. Name 3 strengths and weaknesses. How do you deal with multiple priorities and pressure? Why do you want to work for Sephora?   Answer Question

Store Director Interview

Application

The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

I was contacted by the regional recruiter through a job website. We had a great discussion and believed it went very well. I was excited for the opportunity.
    I took the time and money to book an appointment with a Beauty Advisor. Again, another great experience.
    Next was an interview with the DM. She showed up late and was very distracted throughout the interview. It made me uncomfortable and seemed like she wasn't interested.
    I received a message saying the position had been filled.. for the next month the job was still posted.
    I asked for feedback and never received any reply, from the recruiter or the DM.
    I was very disappointed. There are a number of people who I've worked for in the past that are currently employed by Sephora. I have a great respect for them and they never returned my calls or emails.
    I'm a very positive person and rarely write negivtive reviews, but I felt I should make persons aware of my experience so they are prepared before interviewing with Sephora.

Senior Education Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora in May 2017.

Interview

This consisted of a group interview, an interview with the DM, and an interview with the regional education consultant. This process takes hours of your time. The initial group interview took two hours. Each additional interview took one hour. This is not counting getting ready in your best makeup and driving there. It is a very long process. But, I understand why. They really want to get to know the people that they may be hiring. The group interview was better than I expected. There was an opportunity to showcase your leadership skills in the group activity, but the rest of it is individual. The district manager was late to my interview and said he had forgotten about it. The interview with the DM is more like the typical interview. He said that it wouldn't be like the typical interview. He asked me questions and listened to my responses, which is about as typical as an interview could be, in my opinion. The third interview was a phone interview with the regional education consultant. In my case, they told me that it was in person. I got a new outfit, carefully applied my makeup, and headed through bad traffic to the store. I was a little flustered from the traffic when I got there, but calmed down and went to the office. It is locked so I stood there knocking for 10 minutes. When I eventually got in to the office, NO ONE WAS THERE. I went down to the store and asked an employee and neither the person I was interviewing with nor the person I set up the interview with were there. I waited for the store manager to get back from lunch, and she called and texted around till she figured it out. It was supposed to be a phone interview when they had specifically told me to come into the store. I was so flustered and embarrassed (even though it wasn't my fault) that when I had the phone interview in the office, I could barely think straight. Also, the interviewer kept interrupting me. I was trying to be succinct, but it didn't seem to matter, almost everything I said was interrupted. I left that interview feeling as if I has said nothing. She said I would be hearing from them by the end of the week. I had to call them on Monday, because the poor communication had continued at this point. They apologized for not calling me and told me the position had been filled. I accept that they need to pick the candidate they think is best suited for their business, but I feel like the lack of communication in the whole process has been very disrespectful. If you say that you are going to let me know by the end of the week, do it. That phone call will take 30 seconds and there is really no excuse not to follow through with what you have said. By the end of this process, I was feeling apprehensive about working there due to this poor organization and communication.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview stuff. They ask a little about makeup, but it is more about management and customer service.   Answer Question

Cast Member Interview

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Sephora in April 2017.

Interview

Interview was very short & there were simple questions based on past work experience & how they would contribute to the position applying for. Most cast member seen at the store don't even wear makeup while working & most of the time have their hair in what looks like a slept in bun. The only skin care knowledge they know is based off the skin IQ screen that tells them what a product is used for and how to use it. I'm very knowledgeable about makeup and skin products and not even 3 years of customer service experience in high-volume atmospheres was enough to get a job offer. Go to the interview with no makeup skills or knowledge and you just may be hired with a 20/hr per week part time job since apparently they only offer full time positions to "few" and "certain" employees.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were doing a facial and you were the only one on the skincare floor due to call outs & you had 10 other customers waiting in line?   1 Answer

Fragrance Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora (Roseville, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Wow! Just wow! 3 freaking interviews for a minimum wage part time retail job? Are you kidding me? Round 1 is a group interview, to which i was the only person that showed up! I thought this looked well on me. 15 minutes early and the only person to come. Round 2 is a one on two. I had the store manager and hiring manager whom was new to the position and different from the one whom onterviewed me first and invited me back for round two. We spent 45 minutes shooting the breeze and I thought it went very well until I had to call over a week later to find out that I was no longer a candidate. They promised to call and never did. Round 3 is an onsite practicuum apparently. Still. 3 interviews for a part time job? No thanks. It also took almost three weeks for the two interviews and I had to call to find out the job was no longer available.

Interview Questions

• What do I want when I grow?   1 Answer
    • Do you like having down time, being busy or being super busy at work.   1 Answer

Operation Consultant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

My 1st interview 1:1 with Store Manager. The 2nd one ,was a group interview on a game like "Ginga"...The purpose for this game is to watch out for communication style, teamwork,leadership and if you're having fun while you work. Keep an eye on you opponents behavior while playing so that YOURS will shine over them. They will call me in 2 days to let me know if I will be havind a 3rd interview with DM.

Interview Questions

• what would you have done diffrently during the game?   1 Answer

Corporate IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sephora (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Hurry hurry hurry - then disappear.
    I was contacted by an external recruiter. Good fit for the job, possibly exceeding experience. Recruiter phone interview, Hiring manager phone interview, in person interview with multiple counterparts.
    Great people and great conversation. A bit sparse on the "creature comforts": no offer for a break over a whole morning (I had to ask for a glass of water), no comping of parking, not well organized overall.

No follow up. Ever.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Pretty easy it was a really chill environment the people who interviewed me were very nice and professional I interviewed with one other girl as well the overall process was good I was just very nervous. DONT go into a Sephora interview nervous

Interview Questions

• Name one time you've dealt with a dude customer and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Skin Care Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview which consisted of another applicant and I. The skin consulting and overall store manager made us feel at ease, she had a simple look to her and helped us by taking the lead and taking about herself first.