Sephora Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 22, 2017

2.5

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Sephora (New York, NY).

Interview

It was really weird, it was a group interview they only asked us 3 questions then they had us build a little sculpture out of different colors blocks as a teamwork exercise; and then it was over.

Anonymous Employee in Huntington Station, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora (Huntington Station, NY).

Interview

Overall took about two weeks to get hired. Most applicants will do a demo makeover to assess their skills. Applying around the holidays is the best way to get in.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora in June 2017.

Interview

My interview started at 4 and was over at 5:30. Me and 2 other girls had a group interview together. Similar to most other peoples interviews there were blocks on a table and one person got to look at the picture for 15 seconds and instruct the other girls, only using words, how to do the blocks and we did 2 different shapes. The next part of the interview was called "The Next Big Thing" where you had to pick from 4 different ideas/events that would help sales in a certain department of Jcpenny. Then you get 10 minutes to write a sales pitch on your paper and why you think it would drive the most sales. Then you will present to the group and after that you and your group will discuss together who you think had the best pitch and nominate them. Lastly, we just wrote our full names and availabilities on a piece of paper and it was over.

Some things I would recommend to do:
    1. Get to the interview 15 minutes early and start conversation with the other girls and smile at them and seem interested in getting to know them
    2. Show that you can work with a team and be a leader at the same time
    3. Don't be overpowering and seem like you have to be right. It is ok if your pitch doesn't get chosen.
    4. Going back to 3, if your pitch doesn't get chosen then vote for who you think did the best and really compliment everything good about their pitch.
    5. Really stress in your pitch that jcpenny and Sephora is more that just a store that it is a family and that it is important to make sure everyone feels welcomed.
    6. If you don't know that much about make up make sure that you make it clear that you want to learn and that you are good with customers.
    7. At the end of the interview ask well thoughtout questions that show you are really interested.
    8. Again, SMILE SMILE SMILE

"You can learn how to do eyeshadow perfectly and how to do eyebrows but you can't learn a passion and a love to work with others and make them feel uplifted"

Interview Questions

• No questions were asked. We just did the group activities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hilo, HI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora (Hilo, HI).

Interview

It was quick and easy and I thought the interview was pretty standard. It was a group interview with about 4 other girls and three out of the five of us got hired

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a client broke an expensive perfume she had just purchased   Answer Question

Skincare Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora (Portland, OR) in June 2017.

Interview

They called me the next day to schedule an appointment for an over the phone interview and then I did that and then an in-person one. The process took about a week and a half.

Assistant Merchant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

Face-to-face interview at the corporate office. I met with the merchant and director. According to HR, salary is capped at 70k. I'm not 100% sure on bonus structure, but I think it's 12-24%. Very difficult to receive qualitative feedback as to why I wasn't hired- they used the cookie cutter explanation that another applicant was better for the role. It would've been much more helpful if they briefly explained why. This is my main reason for rating it a negative experience.

Before the interview, I highly recommend you visit one of their stores and study the category for which you are applying, for example, color. Choose a brand and do a SWOT analysis. This will prepare you in case the hiring manager asks for your perspective, which is most likely.

Interview Questions

• If you walk into our store, what is one thing we excel at? What can we improve? How would you market this product or brand? How do you deal with having difficult conversations with the brand? What are some of the beauty trends right now? What are some of the upcoming beauty trends? Who are you favorite social influencers? How is your previous work experience relevant to this position? What cross-functional teams have you worked with? What is your greatest career accomplishment? Name a mistake you made and how you solved it. What is your working style? Describe your ideal manager. What is your favorite and least favorite job and/or manager you've had so far and why. Name 3 strengths and weaknesses. How do you deal with multiple priorities and pressure? Why do you want to work for Sephora?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

This was a relatively short interview. Usually in larger groups but I only had one other person in mine with two managers. Very nice, respectful, open interview to get to know you and your passion for beauty

Store Director Interview

Application

The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

I was contacted by the regional recruiter through a job website. We had a great discussion and believed it went very well. I was excited for the opportunity.
    I took the time and money to book an appointment with a Beauty Advisor. Again, another great experience.
    Next was an interview with the DM. She showed up late and was very distracted throughout the interview. It made me uncomfortable and seemed like she wasn't interested.
    I received a message saying the position had been filled.. for the next month the job was still posted.
    I asked for feedback and never received any reply, from the recruiter or the DM.
    I was very disappointed. There are a number of people who I've worked for in the past that are currently employed by Sephora. I have a great respect for them and they never returned my calls or emails.
    I'm a very positive person and rarely write negivtive reviews, but I felt I should make persons aware of my experience so they are prepared before interviewing with Sephora.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora (Atlanta, GA) in May 2017.

Interview

the interview process takes forever, but it seems like it is completely worth it in the long run. you have your phone interview, then a demo (where you bring a model into the store and do their makeup as if they were a client), and then another interview with the store director after that.

Interview Questions

• what made you want this position?   1 Answer

Senior Education Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora in May 2017.

Interview

This consisted of a group interview, an interview with the DM, and an interview with the regional education consultant. This process takes hours of your time. The initial group interview took two hours. Each additional interview took one hour. This is not counting getting ready in your best makeup and driving there. It is a very long process. But, I understand why. They really want to get to know the people that they may be hiring. The group interview was better than I expected. There was an opportunity to showcase your leadership skills in the group activity, but the rest of it is individual. The district manager was late to my interview and said he had forgotten about it. The interview with the DM is more like the typical interview. He said that it wouldn't be like the typical interview. He asked me questions and listened to my responses, which is about as typical as an interview could be, in my opinion. The third interview was a phone interview with the regional education consultant. In my case, they told me that it was in person. I got a new outfit, carefully applied my makeup, and headed through bad traffic to the store. I was a little flustered from the traffic when I got there, but calmed down and went to the office. It is locked so I stood there knocking for 10 minutes. When I eventually got in to the office, NO ONE WAS THERE. I went down to the store and asked an employee and neither the person I was interviewing with nor the person I set up the interview with were there. I waited for the store manager to get back from lunch, and she called and texted around till she figured it out. It was supposed to be a phone interview when they had specifically told me to come into the store. I was so flustered and embarrassed (even though it wasn't my fault) that when I had the phone interview in the office, I could barely think straight. Also, the interviewer kept interrupting me. I was trying to be succinct, but it didn't seem to matter, almost everything I said was interrupted. I left that interview feeling as if I has said nothing. She said I would be hearing from them by the end of the week. I had to call them on Monday, because the poor communication had continued at this point. They apologized for not calling me and told me the position had been filled. I accept that they need to pick the candidate they think is best suited for their business, but I feel like the lack of communication in the whole process has been very disrespectful. If you say that you are going to let me know by the end of the week, do it. That phone call will take 30 seconds and there is really no excuse not to follow through with what you have said. By the end of this process, I was feeling apprehensive about working there due to this poor organization and communication.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview stuff. They ask a little about makeup, but it is more about management and customer service.   Answer Question