Sephora Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 22, 2017

2.5

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Sephora (New York, NY).

Interview

It was really weird, it was a group interview they only asked us 3 questions then they had us build a little sculpture out of different colors blocks as a teamwork exercise; and then it was over.

Fragrance Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sephora (San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

A group interview was conducted backstage amongst myself and 5 other people.
    We were asked various questions about engaging with clients, and asked what certain words meant to us in the retail environment.
    Each person was able to answer in their own way as the hiring manager took notes.

Interview Questions

• What does having a sense of urgency mean to you?   1 Answer

Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sephora (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

The process overall was quick and easy. Since it was two weeks before Christmas, I got to meet with the Store Director, General Manager and one of the Lead Managers. They asked about my past experiences and it was not at all scary.

Senior Education Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora in May 2017.

Interview

This consisted of a group interview, an interview with the DM, and an interview with the regional education consultant. This process takes hours of your time. The initial group interview took two hours. Each additional interview took one hour. This is not counting getting ready in your best makeup and driving there. It is a very long process. But, I understand why. They really want to get to know the people that they may be hiring. The group interview was better than I expected. There was an opportunity to showcase your leadership skills in the group activity, but the rest of it is individual. The district manager was late to my interview and said he had forgotten about it. The interview with the DM is more like the typical interview. He said that it wouldn't be like the typical interview. He asked me questions and listened to my responses, which is about as typical as an interview could be, in my opinion. The third interview was a phone interview with the regional education consultant. In my case, they told me that it was in person. I got a new outfit, carefully applied my makeup, and headed through bad traffic to the store. I was a little flustered from the traffic when I got there, but calmed down and went to the office. It is locked so I stood there knocking for 10 minutes. When I eventually got in to the office, NO ONE WAS THERE. I went down to the store and asked an employee and neither the person I was interviewing with nor the person I set up the interview with were there. I waited for the store manager to get back from lunch, and she called and texted around till she figured it out. It was supposed to be a phone interview when they had specifically told me to come into the store. I was so flustered and embarrassed (even though it wasn't my fault) that when I had the phone interview in the office, I could barely think straight. Also, the interviewer kept interrupting me. I was trying to be succinct, but it didn't seem to matter, almost everything I said was interrupted. I left that interview feeling as if I has said nothing. She said I would be hearing from them by the end of the week. I had to call them on Monday, because the poor communication had continued at this point. They apologized for not calling me and told me the position had been filled. I accept that they need to pick the candidate they think is best suited for their business, but I feel like the lack of communication in the whole process has been very disrespectful. If you say that you are going to let me know by the end of the week, do it. That phone call will take 30 seconds and there is really no excuse not to follow through with what you have said. By the end of this process, I was feeling apprehensive about working there due to this poor organization and communication.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview stuff. They ask a little about makeup, but it is more about management and customer service.   Answer Question

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora in August 2016.

Interview

I was at a job fair and got interviewed on the spot. The process was smooth and easy, asked a few questions and your experiences in the past. Be prepared and know who you're speaking to. It is also best to not look nervous and just be yourself. The process took about 2 weeks, first week is being interviewed by one of the supervisor and then the 2nd week you will be interviewed by the head manager.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

Group Interview that lasted approximately 45 minutes (group of around 8 of us). There was one manager and one supervisor with us. There was approximately 10 questions. The questions were asked and there was no specific order to who was answering it so make sure you are vocal with your answers as they will skip over people who hesitate in answering.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer dropped a perfume bottle they paid for immediately after buying it.   Answer Question

Skin Care Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sephora (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2014.

Interview

I had 3 interviews in total, each time with a different person. The questions were standard and they make you feel comfortable. In the last one I had to put make up on to the person that was interviewing me. I enjoyed the process, it took two weeks in total for them to let me know if I was hired. To my surprise, I was!

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sephora (Short Hills, NJ) in June 2016.

Interview

I began by emailing my resume to a lead at the store. I followed up with calls. I was initially not going to be hired due to time but received a call back which I accepted. I had an individual Interview and group training. Loved it.

Fragrance Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora (Roseville, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Wow! Just wow! 3 freaking interviews for a minimum wage part time retail job? Are you kidding me? Round 1 is a group interview, to which i was the only person that showed up! I thought this looked well on me. 15 minutes early and the only person to come. Round 2 is a one on two. I had the store manager and hiring manager whom was new to the position and different from the one whom onterviewed me first and invited me back for round two. We spent 45 minutes shooting the breeze and I thought it went very well until I had to call over a week later to find out that I was no longer a candidate. They promised to call and never did. Round 3 is an onsite practicuum apparently. Still. 3 interviews for a part time job? No thanks. It also took almost three weeks for the two interviews and I had to call to find out the job was no longer available.

Interview Questions

• What do I want when I grow?   1 Answer
    • Do you like having down time, being busy or being super busy at work.   1 Answer

Skincare Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora (Portland, OR) in June 2017.

Interview

They called me the next day to schedule an appointment for an over the phone interview and then I did that and then an in-person one. The process took about a week and a half.