Sephora Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sephora Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

2.5

Seasonal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sephora in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Rcvd a call back within a few days. Interviewed on a Tuesday, rcvd a call to confirm my references & request a supervisor reference on saturday. Rcvd a background check request on satirday also. Rcvd offer the next thurday.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didnt negotiate due to entry level position. Also offered more than minimum wage

Seasonal Color Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted my application on line and then followed up at the store where I was told to call the manager in a week, scheduled an interview which went well, then a demo which did not go so well.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sephora in October 2016.

Interview

Group interview ran for about 15-20 minutes than you did a test run on the floor to see how you would do under a scenario very easy and fun!

Mobile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sephora (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I recently completed the interviewing process with Sephora. At least I think it’s completed, the inhouse "technical talent partner" never followed up with me weeks after my technical conversation.

In terms of the team, Sephora has five iOS engineers at the moment (soon to expand to 6). While the focus is on the phone app, there is also an iPad app “which we don’t talk about” (it hasn’t been updated in over a year and may be actually managed by a different agency or team, either way Sephora doesn’t seem to care about the iPad app except that it does earn them some income which is why they keep it around on the app store).

The initial technical phone conversation took a combative tone from the first moments, where I was confronted with some stark technical and leadership questions (and by "stark", I mean they were strongly worded where it definitely felt like he was looking for a specific set of answers and he was certainly not going to provide any hints or inspiration as to what he was looking for). It didn’t help that during the entire conversation, the entire time I was speaking with this manager, he was doing transactions at a Walgreens drug store, then walking to the office down San Francisco's busy (and noisy) Market Street.

I’ve included the technical question at the bottom of this review.

For the leadership question, this scenario was presented: Sephora’s mobile app gets their code from offshore teams around the world (India, Belarus, Costa Rica, etc.). Assuming the “burn rate” (i.e. an Agile term for describing how tasks, tickets and stories are closing according to estimates) is barely on time, if a pull request is opened (where the incoming code builds and the QA people say everything is working), but the actual code is terrible (i.e. bad looking or conforming to standards, not "DRY", etc.), what would I do (as a lead mobile engineer). Different companies would have different answers (e.g. some companies would move the goal posts to get features & underlying code done just right; other companies would remove features from a release to put it into a later release). For Sephora, they have specific release dates (usually corresponding to marketing schedules and/or holidays or seasons), so the answer I gave him was “bring the bad code in, mark it as ‘technical debt’ in a ticket to be fixed asap, give constructive criticism to the offending offshore developer, and hope that s/he learns and grows from that mistake and doesn’t do it again”. I suspect this answer wasn’t the one the my interviewer was looking for and why I didn’t get to continue the interviewing process.

Hopefully my experience flunking the Sephora interview process will help you to prepare to pass your interviewing day. If you find any of the information in this review helpful, please let me know by voting "Yes" on the "Helpful?" question below (this helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible).

Interview Questions

• For the technical question, I was asked which third party frameworks I’ve used for doing ECommerce and how would I cause a JSON stream to be converted into a strongly typed object (e.g. not just an abstract Dictionary or Array containing “id” or “void” objects but an actual native object).   1 Answer
    • What does "DRY" mean?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sephora in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received a voicemail the following week asking if I would be interested in coming in for an interview. I called back and told the manager yes of course! She then asked me some questions over the phone such as, my availability and if I have worked in makeup before.

Today I had my 1 on 1 interview and it couldn't have gone any better! She asked me two questions really, my availability and why I wanted to work at Sephora.
    DO NOT SAY BECAUSE YOU LOVE MAKEUP!!!! Later on she mentioned to me she was so glad to hear me say something other than makeup and I honestly think me mentioning my passion for helping people sealed the deal! It was about an hour and a half long and mostly we just talked about makeup and some of the benefits and what I would be doing.

(Also do not bash other makeup stores. This is probably a no brainer to some but I slipped up and talked down on Ulta's rewards programs and she corrected me lol but thankfully I was able to recover and win her over!)

A lot of people say wear all black to your first interview. I actually did not. I wore a long flowy maxi dress, with gold buttons that showed off my style and personality. And I went full face makeup. Remember what products you used because I was asked what products I was wearing.

Key Holder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied for Key Holder through the Sephora online application—this particular location was hiring for lead.

They called me back within 2 days of applying, had a short interview, and was to have a verbal interview scheduled the next week with the co-manager. The verbal went great; I was asked if I was willing to go part-time. I thought, "you can be part-time as a lead?" So I went with it.
    I was then scheduled a makeup demo with the co-lead, followed by another brief interview with the store manager.

However, I had concerns about the position I was being interviewed for. Was it for lead or for something else? It was never clarified to me what position it was. (Advice: make sure you always clarify what position you're applying for; especially if you have a position in mind).

After speaking with the store manager, I asked things like, "what's a day like for a lead position?" And the manager was taken aback and asked me if that was the position I was interested in. I said, yes, that I applied for Lead online. She said they were under the impression that I would be a color consultant. I don't know where they got that from, especially when I addressed my cover letter AND my resume with an interest pertaining to "LEAD".

All in all, after a few interruptions by staff during my interviews and a large miscommunication, I was offered a PT position for much less. I declined. It seemed like a great store with a great employee atmosphere, and everyone was really nice. But lack of details and miscommunication is what really hurt their reputation.

Interview Questions

• ** How would you drive sales on a slower day?   Answer Question
    • ** Tell us a time you delivered exceptional customer service   Answer Question
    • ** Name 4 must have skincare routine products   Answer Question
    • **Rate 1-10 how confident you are in makeup, skincare, and fragrance   Answer Question
    • **How do you handle really busy traffic in store?   Answer Question
    • ** What is your best skill in makeup & what might you need improvement on?   Answer Question

Miscommunication from store as to what position I was actually applying for. It was insinuated that they only hire leads internally; if that is the case, then please pull your applications from online so no external applicants will apply.

Cast Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

My interview process was very simple it was one on one with the store manager I interviewed for a brand-new store. She was very nice it was my first beauty retail job but I had a lot of retail experience going into it she asked what I wanted to do with the company and was very helpful, training is awesome you get everything given to you. They prepare you for anything

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you be a good fit tell me about yourself what's your favorite products ect   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (Syracuse, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I participated in a group interview with two other people. We were asked a bunch of typical retail questions. Three days later I was called back for. Second interview with the store directer. That interview was more personal. It was more of a Q&A on my experience and more casual. We spoke for about ten minutes and she ended up offering me a job. But she said I was over qualified for cashier and told me she was putting me up in color. Better than I could have expected.

Sephora Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Trumbull, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sephora (Trumbull, CT) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got a call to schedule an interview 3 days later. I met with the store director and training educator named Lisa and Ashley. I got there 30 minutes early. We walked out to a quiet area and they asked me typical customer service and makeup related questions. I'm an experienced makeup artist and have years of customer service experience so it was a very easy process. The interview was over in 15 minutes and they contacted my references the same day. Got the call today that I got the job!

Interview Questions

• What would I do if I had an agitated client?   1 Answer
    • Who inspires me and why?   1 Answer
    • Am I naturally artistic in other areas?   1 Answer
    • How do you keep up with the latest trends?   1 Answer

Negotiation

My last job I was being paid over $20+ an hour. I went high and met them in the middle.

Store Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Sephora (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Four month process. Two phone screens and two in-persons. After the third round and second in-person, they never contacted me to tell me if I had/had not received the position. For a company so established, it seemed very unprofessional. On the up side, there was no project round of this interview.