Sephora Makeup Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sephora Makeup Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at Sephora

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2019.

Interview

I first applied on Sept. 12th, waited about a week before I decided to walk in, and introduce myself to one of the hiring managers, during which I talked to them, handed my resume, and went over where I worked, what I was looking for in this job, etc. Nonetheless, I never got a call back for an in-person interview, and my application was rejected as of October 8th. To be honest, I’m just disappointed.

My feedback for Sephora as a company is to actually take the time to get to know and interviewing the candidates before even saying no, you never know what may come out of those interviews, or even if those that you may choose to reject could be your next star performers.

I love Sephora as a store as well as their products, but get to know your candidates before saying no, otherwise don’t expect people to want to work for your company if that’s how you’re going to treat them. They also didn’t have the section for individuals to identify as disabled, so that’s another thing that Sephora should improve upon.

Other Interview Reviews for Sephora

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (Austin, TX) in July 2019.

Interview

I was first called and had a short phone interview. A few days later I was called again but missed the call, when I called back the manager that had called was no longer there so I had to wait through the weekend for a call but I never got one so I called again and was told they did want time to come in for a group interview in a few days.

The group interview was good, there was about seven of us and took about an hour. It was a little weird because they just took us to the bac storage area and every 15 minutes the AC kicked on and we had to practically yell our answers. About three days went by when I finally received a call again but again I missed it and it took another 2 days to finally call at the right time to get the hiring manager on the phone - note: I just had the stores phone number and no other personal contact info so if the manager wasn’t there or was busy I had no way of contacting her otherwise. When we talked she informed me of the ridiculously low pay I would be receiving even though I have both a college degree and cosmetology license in two states. She was very honest and candid about this though which was nice.
    Oh also apparently almost all Sephora jobs are part-time which I did not know at the beginning.

Interview Questions

• Who was your best and worst manager in a previous job and why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Ashland, MS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (Ashland, MS) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I called the next day to see if I could speak to a manager to inquire how long the process generally was. There wasn't a manager available. I ended up going in a few days later to introduce myself. I met the color lead and she went back to tell the manager I was there. I waited for about 30 minutes for her to come out. I used that time to familiarize myself with the store and mingle with the cast mates. When the manager did come out, I introduced myself and she asked me a few questions. We talked for a few minutes and then she told me her Assistant Manager actually initiates the hiring process and asked if I could come in the next day for an interview.

I went in the next day and interviewed with the Assistant Manager. It was not your typical interview at ALL. It was basically like a 15 minute conversation between friends. She didn't ask me a single "typical" interview question. It was very comfortable. We ended by her telling me that I would be a great fit and asked if I could come in to do my beauty interview 2 days later. She said they don't normally hire people as a Makeup Artist until they go through training with the company, but she wanted to see what I could do.

I came in a few days later with my model and did a "glamorous day look." The "Beauty Educator" watched me the whole time and wrote notes on how I spoke to my "client," how sanitary I was, how well I explained the products, etc. When I was finished, she gave me rave reviews. She especially loved how well I matched the foundation to my model's skin. (I had never done her makeup before doing it that day...seriously!) I thanked the Assistant Manager as I was leaving and told her I appreciated their time. She said she would call me with the next step. That was on a Saturday so I didn't expect to hear anything until the beginning of the week.

The Store Manager called me Wednesday evening to tell me they couldn't get in touch with my references. (My workplace had gone through a merger after I left and changed phone lines, so none of the numbers were correct). I gave her their cell phone numbers and she said she would be in touch with them soon.

On Monday I still hadn't heard anything, so I called to make sure they had gotten ahold of my references. She said she hadn't worked since Wednesday and would be calling them soon. She did call them that day, because my old boss called me and let me know they said they were definitely going to be offering me a position. The Store Manager called me Tuesday and asked me if I would be interested in a Management Position instead (I was in Management before). I told her no, that I would rather work from the ground up as I had done in my last job. She said she understood and I would hear from her the next day.

Wednesday I got my letter offering me the job! The whole process from submitting the application to getting the job offer was 16 days.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. I accepted their offer.

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sephora (Miami, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was called in for an interview. They asked many questions and asked me to show my abilities. I was asked to explain the usage of several different products. Then i was asked to do show how the product worked. I was tested on how well i can memorize information and also guessing what certain products do and how they work.

Makeup Consultant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

I applied during holiday and got hired to be a seasonal cashier but after seeing me with customers and my talent they quickly got me certified and put me on the floor. The interview process I would say was very easy and basic questions were asked. If you have common sense you will most likely do perfectly fine. The only thing that I would complain about is that the manager was very unorganized.. She mixed my application with another and my references were all messed up. She was let go a week after I was hired

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Handed in application to store, they called me within two weeks and scheduled an interview. Arrived at store for interview and was interviewed by a store manager, for about an hour. Was called back a little after a week and offered a position. I accepted and was called back a week later with details of training dates. Training was 4 weeks long and during that process was given uniform and title.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sephora (Dallas, TX) in March 2010.

Interview

Applied in person with a resume. I had previous makeup experience. They called back for an interview. I brought a REAL portfolio and showed early. The interview was with the manager and assistant manager. It lasted about 30 minutes. I had strong reccomendations. They said I'd here back in a week or two but heard back in 3 days.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Sephora   2 Answers

Negotiation

no. Always ask for a higher amount and you'll get above their avg. starting rate.