Sephora Product Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 2, 2017

2.2

41 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burton, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sephora (Burton, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

It really wasn't an interview, I put in an application, a lady call me on the phone and asked me a few questions about customer service and my experience and then scheduled me for an interview. I went to the interview and there were a few other girls. The managers didn't even ask any questions about our experience, what is customer service to us, why we want to work at Sephora. The managers basically just made us work together to build blocks and make sure they were the correct color and in exact order that was on their tablets???? And with that they determined whether you were qualified or not, which made no sense to me, building blocks don't determine whether you're a good worker or great with people and truly know how to provide great customer service and knowledgeable about products. They humiliated a few girls by sending them out of the room amongst everyone who they felt weren't qualified, instead of telling them privately. Very unprofessional! I did research online on what they may ask or have us do during an interview but I never read that they would us build blocks !

Other Interview Reviews for Sephora

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sephora (Glendale, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

my interview was for JCP. It was a bit odd we had to be placed in groups and use building blocks to create a house. The thing is one person looked at the photo for 10 seconds, go back to your group and not touch a thing but describe which blocks to use and how to place them. Here's a tip, I talked to the manager after being hired, if you were to blank out (being too nervous to remember what you saw) and not say anything to your team just wait for the other persons turn to continue, thats it. Your done. Not that they would ask you to leave but they crossed you off their list immediately and you lost the job.The key was communication. Then we were giving scenarios and we had to do a sales pitch

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a difficult client and how did you hep them   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora (Fort Worth, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

I received a call from Beauty Manager. I returned the call was offered an interview the same day. It was a group interview with 3 other candidates. It was then a two-on-one interview with Beauty Manager and General Manager (JCP) and then I received job offer.

Interview Questions

• Why Sephora?   1 Answer
    • What would your last manager say they felt when you gave your resignation?   Answer Question
    • Besides your extensive experience what do you have to offer Sephora?   Answer Question
    • What's your favorite skincare or color?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lithonia, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sephora (Lithonia, GA) in May 2016.

Interview

I was a frequent customer at this Sephora location and told one of the girls there "I wish I worked here" so she suggested I fill out an application and call back when I was done. Two days later I got a call saying to come in for an interview which went very well (the beauty manager was very friendly and did most of the talking) and my second interview was with the JCPenney store manager along with the beauty manager. Two weeks later after my background check cleared they called me with an offer and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Name an example of good customer service.   Answer Question
    • If a customer bought an item, used it but didn't like it would you return the item for them?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a rude customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (Rockaway, NJ).

Interview

I applied at sephora and sephora inside jcpenny around the same time.

I got a call from sephora inside jcpenny about 4 months after applying. They called me to schedule an interview for seasonal. I met with the manager and was asked simple questions. Just one on one. Lasted about 20 minutes. She told me she would call me for the second interview by Monday.

She called me on Wednesday thank god! I got so upset that I didn't get a call but I think it's because she had a lot of interviews for the holidays.

I scheduled my second interview. I met with one of the seniors at sephora and had a one on one with her. She asked me to sell any product to her so I chose a foundation. Then she asked me to sell skincare to her, based on what she was looking for. It was a lot of pressure to be put on the spot with no training but I guess I did ok since they called me back a few days later telling me I got the job.

They offered me 10 dollars an hour and I'm ok with that. I accepted the offer. Just waiting to get my schedule!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time a customer was really happy about the customer service they received.   Answer Question
    • There is a customer that is not approachable, and upset. How would you treat the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate my pay. My manager said they are giving me more than the minimum wage and I'm ok with that.

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (San Bruno, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Hiring process was quick during the holiday season, great questions & allotted time for me to ask the interviewer questions as well. Interview was approximately 20 minutes long. Asked relevant questions such as "why are you interested in working in the beauty industry" and asked about previous experiences in makeup artistry/knowledge of beauty products.

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sephora (Jersey City, NJ) in January 2011.

Interview

applied online. I had to call the store director to land an interview. Always call. Generally took about 2 weeks or so. It was not bad. I had to do a demo on someone in the store.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any selling experience   Answer Question
    • Role playing: if I were a customer and you had to sell me this product. How would you sell it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sephora (Springfield, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

I was interviewed alone by the beauty leader although this is not common it is usually a group interview. It was brief, after I met with the beauty leader I had an immediate meeting with the JCP store leader who has the final say and was offered the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holyoke, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sephora (Holyoke, MA) in February 2013.

Interview

It was quick.
    She looked at my resume and then started asking away.
    She asked me what I could do for someone who needed my help,
    and I told her I would assist them as best to my knowledge.
    She frowned upon that answer, I do not know why.
    I think they are particularly looking for someone with a skill set related to the work,
    they are not looking to train any newbies.
    Even though I do know of past employees with only high school and some retail experience like myself...
    This store had very many applicants and they were not going to just pick anyone this round.
    I think if you apply through a jcpenny Sephora, you're chances are probably better.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Willow Grove, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (Willow Grove, PA) in October 2012.

Interview

the first interview i had was a group interview was with one other person and the store manger marlene. i had to go back for another group interview with two managers the second time a week later and then another for a cashier and customer service demonstration. i had to go through three interviews before i got the job about a month later. it was a pretty long interview process.