Sephora Seasonal Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sephora Seasonal Cashier Interview Questions

Interviews at Sephora

2.3

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online, got a call for an interview about 8 days later. Interviewed the following day. The interview was very short, kind of informal but I just assumed it was because the store was so busy and because it's a seasonal cashier position. Asked the basic questions - whats customer service to you? What can you bring to Sephora? What was your last/most recent job like? It took about 15 minutes overall. I think I waited more to meet with the hiring manager than how long the actually interview took place. Called the following Monday because I needed to tell my job at school that I would be unable to work for them. Was offered the position. Overall very fast and easy process.

Other Interview Reviews for Sephora

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sephora (Portland, OR) in November 2014.

Interview

So basically, I applied online and then a week later, I get a call. But I missed the call because my phone was charging and the girl on the phone tells me that she would like me to come in for a group interview at noon the next day. Then she tells me to call me back to confirm. So I do and the next day, I come in for an interview at noon. I got there 20 minutes early and they told me to wait by the fragrance section, which is right next to the entrance to the back. There's already a girl waiting there so I wait there too. Then as noon gets closer, there's 10 of us total. 8 girls, 2 guys. Mind you, EVERYONE is wearing black but you need to find a way to be different from others. How you do that is up to you.
    As soon as it turns to noon, the girl on the phone collects us all and takes us to the back and sits us on stools and chairs. She also brings another woman with her and they begin the interview.
    We're sitting in two rows so they go down the rows, asking us what days we're available and at what times. Then they asked us the interview questions and the last question was what world we would want to work in. Most people said color or skincare. But the interviewers told us that they were those positions were mostly full and they were looking for more people in cashier and fragrance. (Cashwrap is like a business inside of a business. It has its own manager and half the employees who get hired work at cashwrap during holiday season.)
    They open up the last few minutes for Q&A for anything you're curious about or whatever else you want to ask them. This interview ended up taking an hour and a half. So, time accordingly.
    Also, they said that they were hiring around 40 people for the holidays and seeing how Black Friday is soon, they needed to make a decision quickly. So they said that the decisions would be finalized by the next day and everyone who they wanted to extend an offer to would most likely receive a call before 4:00pm.
    So about 45 minutes after the interview, the first girl calls me and offers me the job. She then tells me that I have to accept the offer online and that I start training on Monday. She also told me to bring my ID and Social Security Card by the next day to work out my payroll.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer a very structured work environment or one with a lot of freedom?   1 Answer
    • What did your favorite supervisor do that made them your favorite?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a co-worker asked you to do something dishonest?   1 Answer
    • Let's say you own a store that sells fragrances. A customer comes in and buys a bottle of perfume and is extremely excited about it. 20 minutes later, the same customer comes in, clearly upset, explaining that they dropped the bag and the perfume broke. What would you do?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time you experienced good customer service. What made it good?   Answer Question

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Interview

Filled out an application online and received a call back 3 weeks later. They left a message in my voice-mail to go into a group interview a few days later. I showed up ten minutes early and wore all black because I knew that's what the uniform is. I let one of the workers know that i was there for the group interview and she directed me to a spot in the store where the interviewees were to gather. Once the time hit the clock that we were supposed to be there, the director in charge & a supervisor came out and lead us to a location outside the store where we would all be able to sit together. They introduced themselves, talked a little about the company & what we would be doing if hired, and then dove right into question's. First thing they asked was for us to give a brief intro about ourselves & tell them a little about our previous job & what we did there. Second question, why do you want to work for sephora? Third, tell me about a supervisor you really liked and one you didn't like & why? Last question was the scenario where they tell you that you need to pretend a customer drops a bottle of perfume after they purchased it and they come back wanting to replace it. What would you do? That was basically the end of the interview & i got called back two days later letting me know that they want to continue to the next phase of the interview with a "demo." So i went in and was asked to demonstrate at the register how i would ring up a customer which is super easy. Just be yourself!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a supervisor that you really liked and one you didn't like and why?   Answer Question

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Interview

Got called in to do the first interview witch is a group interview. It was about 5 girls including myself. The managers seemed pretty nice. The questions were general questions they ask you on any other job. They gave everyone a chance to speak so it wasn't any jumping to answer first.

Interview Questions

• If you own a store and someone buys a perfume and they drop it and it shatters. What would you do ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sephora (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

I first went in for a one on one with the manager and that went well. She asked me what I was studying in college, and why I was interested in the company.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

The group interview and only question for everyone to talk about what you can bring to sephora. I will say people here have much more makeup experience as expected. So, please exaggerate your experience related to this area and it will help you more.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

I read reviews here and talked with my friends who are employees, so I felt confident about my chances. The group interview lasted about an hour, and there were four candidates to two hiring personnel. The questions were standard interview fare: what about your last job, the perfume bottle question, how would you handle someone asking you to be dishonest on the job, who was your favorite/least favorite employer and why. We were in the employee locker room on stools around a high table. It was awkward, and the interviewers did not make follow up replies or ask questions to help develop our answers. It was agonizingly awkward. Luckily I got my rejection email just a few minutes after I left.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sephora (Anaheim, CA).

Interview

I walked into the sephora at Downtown Disney and asked to speak to the hiring manager. I asked if she was hiring for the holidays and she told me yes. I gave her my resume and told her I already completed an online application. She told me she would call me.
    The same evening she called me and invited me to a group interview the next day at 6pm.
    At the interview there were 5 other girls. I mingled a little before the interview started to take the edge off.
    The interview went well, the staff was friendly and I felt their energy! They made me even more excited to join their team just so I could have some of that energy! They seemed happy and to really like their job.

The interviewers asked questions and went around the table for everyone to answer. At times she asked who wanted to go first, volunteer to go first.

There was also a roll play. Just a basic cash rap scenerio. Try not to choke. It's very casual. That's why mingling helps if you can. That way you aren't so nervous or shy when your on the spot. Have fun with it! After all, it's SEPHORA!

Interview Questions

• 3 words a former employer would use to describe you.   Answer Question
    • what your retail exp is and your job description.   Answer Question
    • Your fav supervisor. your least favorite supervisor.
      and why.   Answer Question
    • the famous broken perfume question.   1 Answer

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

The process took less than a week. I applied online and got a phone call the next day to schedule an interview. I couldn't do the first day she suggested so I did the following day ( so it must mean there was another day/round of interviews before me). I wasn't told it'd be a group interview but it ended up being me and another girl. I wore black dress skinny pants, black silk tank with a black cardigan over. Both the other girl and I were dressed in all black. As for makeup, I applied a smokey eye and a bold cat eye. I had to wait an extra ten minutes but the interviewer was really nice and was really good at making the interview really casual and conversation-like (definitely didn't feel competitive). The questions were pretty basic, but surprisingly very few were customer service scenarios. Instead, I got questions like 1) What stores have the best displays and why, 2) What do you think about structure in the work place, 3) Have you ever had problems with your boss/co -workers, 4) Tell me about your last job, 5) How would you promote a discount event to a VIB Rouge customer. We were both offered an invite to the 2nd round of interviews on the spot, which took place a few days later.

For the 2nd interview, I was dressed in a black shift dress that is similar to the current uniform, with black tights and ankle boots. I applied soft eye makeup with a bold cat eye and a coral lip. Even though the other girl did get offered a 2nd interview with me, she didn't come for a reason I'm unaware of. I interviewed with a woman higher up this time and she was also very warming but I could tell she was really tired. This time I got the questions 1) [repeat] Have you ever had problems with a boss/co-worker, 2) Tell a time you experienced really good customer service, 3) Tell a time you went above and beyond for a customer, 4) What are some things that make a good shift/worker, 5) What do you plan to do in the future, 6) What did you like best/least about your last job, 7) what is something good and bad your previous employers would say about you. Throughout the interview, I was worried that the interviewer was uninterested because she yawned a few times, but at the end she told me that she and the first interviewer were really excited to get me aboard but she would have to touch base with her first and that I should hear back within the next few days. I got a call the next day with an offer and I took it.

I surprisingly didn't get any questions about the broken perfume bottle, interacting with difficult clients, why Sephora, what do you know about Sephora, or "what would you do, if..." scenarios. Also, I'm almost positive, they WILL call your references so make sure to put down ones that really know you and would speak highly of you without hesitation.

Overall, emphasize how important it is for an employee to be able to work at the cashwrap (can give a good lasting impression no matter what happens out on the floor), customer service over interest in makeup, and your opinion that Sephora is a long term career.

Interview Questions

• What stores have a good display?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They gave what I wanted, so I didn't bother to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online, heard back from them about two weeks later; they invited me to a group interview which consisted of 5 other girls. General manager asked us about our past jobs, why we would like to work at sephora, and what customer service means to us. All in all, the interview last about 50 minutes, she had then informed us we would receive a call the following week if we fit the criteria. About 3 days later, I received a call from the director asking me to come in for the second interview; this was a one on one. The interview it self was pretty straight forward and super easy, he asked similar questions as the general manager did. He told me that they would be checking my references and I would get a call if everything checked out.

Heres where things get sticky, the HR recruiter chose to call my references on a holiday. I had informed them before hand that they would have to call in the morning. When i called to check in, just to make sure she was able to contact my references, they informed me that she wasn't able to get through. But its complete bs, 2 of the 3 references had informed me that they received no call at all. Super annoying, but the HR recruiter had no interest in speaking with me, I had to pass the message along by another employer from that store.
    One of my references did call the store, but they didn't put her through with the HR recruiter.

The store itself is great, so were the manager and director. But the last part of the interview stage can break it or make it; make sure you put down references that will pick up the phone at a moments notice.