Sephora Store Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sephora Store Director Interview Questions

Updated May 4, 2017

2.9

Store Director Interview

Application

The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

I was contacted by the regional recruiter through a job website. We had a great discussion and believed it went very well. I was excited for the opportunity.
I took the time and money to book an appointment with a Beauty Advisor. Again, another great experience.
Next was an interview with the DM. She showed up late and was very distracted throughout the interview. It made me uncomfortable and seemed like she wasn't interested.
I received a message saying the position had been filled.. for the next month the job was still posted.
I asked for feedback and never received any reply, from the recruiter or the DM.
I was very disappointed. There are a number of people who I've worked for in the past that are currently employed by Sephora. I have a great respect for them and they never returned my calls or emails.
I'm a very positive person and rarely write negivtive reviews, but I felt I should make persons aware of my experience so they are prepared before interviewing with Sephora.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Sephora

Store Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

The interviewing process was lengthy. I met with multiple store directors, district managers and ultimately the regional director. I felt like this gave me great exposure to the company and the position for which I was hiring.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Sephora (New York, NY).

Interview

Contacted by both phone & email to meet with RRM for a one one one interview. Days before the interview, the RRM decided to move the interview to a nearby coffee shop. The interview consisted of alot of questions about my current job, such as how many people I managed, annual store revenue, who is the C.E.O. of my company, company volume - some questions I found strange as they were never asked of me in other interviews. She then proceeded to ask for references which I provided. The interview lasted for the better part of an hour. 2 days later, I received an email from her informing me that I was no longer being considered due to the different structures between my current company and Sephora's. To put it in shorter terms, I wasn't a good fit.

Interview Questions

• What would be your long-term goal with our company?   1 Answer

Store Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

Overall I had a good experience interviewing with the Store Director and the District Manager. They had a structured interview process with standard retail questions.
    They shared good information on how the organization works.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sephora (New York, NY).

Interview

I was first called by the HR director who conducted a phone interview with me. She asked about my former experience and the phone interview went very well. She asked me in for a on-site interview.
    Once she looked over my resume, she seemed to be drawn to my first job, over 10 years ago because she was familiar with the company. Instead of asking me about my most recent jobs, she only asked about the first one. I had several references but they weren't enough as she wanted one from the first company. I told her they didn't have a corporate office and I don't have their cell phones and she looked shocked and made that clear. She made a point out of mentioning she has references from employers dating 15 years back and finds it very strange that I don't.
    She then explained that she didn't see me as a fit for the position I was applying for, but instead for an entry level position even though I had more than enough experience for the management position. I asked why that was and she shrugged and said that's just what she sees me at.
    I'm not sure what happened but I don't think she stayed professional during the entire course of the interview. She seemed very hooked on my first job that seemed to cause the problem.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Sephora (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

Long process took about 6 months, I was interviewed initially by our regional recruiter then about a month later I met with a General manger, about a month after that with our former District Manager and Regional Manager. Then 2 months after with my current Regional Mange.

Store Director Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Sephora in September 2009.

Interview

Contacted DM myself. because of the lack of immediate openings the process was at least a year long.
    Met with DM in a store. She was a little late, however the interview was intriguing (not hard, but pleasant). Second interview was months later with same DM and Regional Manager. They were about 20 minutes late (unacceptable in my book) and strolled in from the mall like they had just been at lunch (again, not ok). The interview was again very engaging and I deeply wanted to work for these people and the company. I knew at that point that they were very interested in me as they were discussing current openings for district manager. I heard back from them about a month later to have them again ask about the DM position which I was NOT interested in at that time. months later I was contacted by a new DM as there had been a re-alignment. This DM was not as genuine as the original DM, and I didn't feel as much of a connection. My "interview" with her consisted of a cup of coffee at Starbucks and her telling me about her successes and asking me about how much I was making. The next day she offered me the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• More of a statement from them... "there are only 2 ways to get fired from sephora - steal from us or treat your people poorly"   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't need to negotiate since they gave me what I wanted. I think people should understand that it is IMPORTANT TO SEPHORA that you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to work for them. I saw incredibly talented candidates not get a job because they asked for like $1 more an hour essentially then be viewed as not wanting to work there enough. advice? play up how much you love Sephora, but also showcase your ability to coach, develop people, build teams. They want to hear that you are all about the people and coaching/developing is a MUST have. Be ready with specific examples, they will probably ask. (I know, this didn't happen with me, however it is the direction the company went soon after I joined).

Store Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sephora in March 2009.

Interview

I was referred by another manager, and the District Manager at the time had a large territory. I interviewed with her and the Regional manager in March and did not hear back at all until very late in June. Fortunately, I did not have another job lined up but knowing from experience, if you have a good candidate waiting too long can lead to a missed opportunity. Sephora has a very different work culture, and it takes about a year even for experienced managers to fully understand and be comfortable in the position. The overall culture of the company is fantastic, but they will expect a LOT.

Interview Questions

• Give a detailed example of how you overcame objections/issues with a direct report.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate the offer, but it was a pay increase so I was happy with it.