Sewell Automotive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Sewell Automotive

2.9

Sort:

Intern Interview

Interview

The interview process was quite long but went smoothly. I applied online from a campus career fair and go invited for the first interview. The first interview went well. Along with the interview came a mandatory informational which required you to do a personality test.

After this point, I then had to take another test. I got invited for the final rounds at one of their dealerships. Within literally 2 days I got my rejection letter.

I have nothing against Sewell and it was the best thing they rejected me to be honest with you. I have really no desire to sell cars and I wanted to use my major from college. Sewell sounds like a great company that cares about their employees but this is, in my opinion, a job for someone who loves people and who wants to profit off commission. Sewell attracted me due to the "if you work hard, you'll be compensated accordingly".

I think they take time in interviewing to make sure they are hiring people who actually want to sell cars. They were a little misleading on that fact but that may of been my fault to not realize you'd be selling cars and that's really only what Sewell hires you for (except PR and finance but you start off selling cars).

If you are not sure what you want to do with your life but want to work for a good employer and a small firm, Sewell is for you. Sewell however was not for me and I ended up in the corporate world anywhere at a place using my degree with a higher salary than Sewell anyway. I'm sure Sewell employers saw through me that this was not something I would be happy with and thats probably partially why I didn't get the extended offer.

Overall, good company. Fast response on where you stand. They don't lead you on but for the intern, I believe the pay is 12 an hour, which is pretty low considering other employers. Again, it is not about the money if you want to join Sewell post college, etc. Good job...Just I prefer something more academic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Sewell Automotive (College Station, TX).

Interview

Long interview process. You have first interview and a short test for the first round. You then do a StrengthsFinder assessment/assignment, then come in for a personality test, and then possibly have additional interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sewell Automotive (Dallas, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

The hiring process is fairly rigorous. There are a lot of applicants as Sewell heavily recruits a lot of the major Texas Universities, especially Texas A&M and Texas Tech. SMU, Baylor, and TCU are also hotbeds for Sewell applicants. It consists of three rounds of interviews. You are doing yourself a huge disservice if you have not read Carl Sewell's book, "Customers For Life" before any interviews. First interview is important as it weeds out a lot of people. It is large personality-based and there is an aptitude test at the end. The second interview is more of the same, but goes into more depth about you and Sewell. There is another personality test. The third round takes place in the dealerships. You interview with 4-6 people at each dealership for 2-3 dealerships. The first two round interviewers are usually General Sales Managers and Recruiting Managers with Sewell. Some are very laid back and some are more formal. Match your style to them.

Interview Questions

• "Do you love to win, or do you hate to lose?"   1 Answer
    • "What is your greatest accomplishment?" "Greatest failure?" Pretty typical interview questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Interns make $15/hour and time and a half for overtime. First year associates are put on a $60 salary for UP TO your first year. You may not stay on it for your entire first year as they will try to take work you off of it.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sewell Automotive in June 2014.

Interview

Very simple and streamlined process that took a lot of the stress away. Very nice people run the organization. Would very much be interested in working and interviewing here again.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Sewell Automotive (College Station, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

Wasn't asked the typical behavioral questions. It was more of a conversation. I'm not sure how they got a good understanding of candidates from this. They went as far as to ask what my parents did. I did not feel like it was acceptable to ask this.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sewell Automotive (Dallas, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

Interviewed through campus recruiting. You have an interview, and if you pass that you take a personality test, and then another day of interviews at a dealership if you get certain results.

Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Sewell Automotive (Lubbock, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

It was a very lengthy process to say the least. First interview was between two general managers. Next round was taking two different tests, then week or two later was flown out to do several interviews at two different dealerships. A summary: 2 rounds of interviews, 1 personality test, 1 skill test, and physical/drug test.

Intern Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sewell Automotive.

Interview

There are three rounds in the process. You begin with a very basic 15 minute interview. If selected, then you must take an aptitude test for round two. Round three is on site and is basically a speed dating session. You interview with four to five different employees and get to ask them any questions.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Sewell Automotive.

Interview

This was an on-campus interview. I interviewed with one of the senior management. It was a laid back interview but that could've been because it was the last one of the day. He and I had a good conversation, but it was more like a friendly conversation than an interview.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sewell Automotive (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through a university career fair.

First off you will speak to representatives at the Career Fair and briefly review your resume. If they see fit, you will be invited to a mandatory informational and asked to submit your application online. You will then schedule an interview as almost everyone is given an initial interview. After you apply, you will attend the aforementioned Informational. Make sure to wear traditional business professional and stick around afterwards to speak with the representatives as these will be the people interviewing you. Don't be discouraged at the amount of people at the informational.

Next you will attend your actual interview. Again, wear business professional and bring a couple extra resumes! The interview is very relaxed and is a two on one interview in which two managers interview you. This is very relaxed and lasts about 30 minutes. After the interview you will be asked to complete a short, 15 question aptitude test which involves basic math without a calculator and some critical reading questions. Upon completion you will then be asked to fill out the StrengthsFinder personality test and email back your top 5 results to a recruiter.

Within two days, if chosen to move on, you will be invited back to take a more in depth personality and aptitude test that consisted of about 250 questions. Then the waiting game starts.

If chosen to move on, you will receive a phone call back or an email within 10 days informing you that they would like you to interview at the actual dealership, if not, you will receive a letter in the mail informing you otherwise. The dealership interviews are an all day process in which you will interview with 5 to 6 managers. You will then be taken out to a nice lunch and will resume the interview process once you return back to the dealership. It is crucial that you start to make personal connections at the dealership as this will potentially be your future place of employment. You will also be stipend to off set the cost of travel.

Finally, after another 10 days or so, you will hear back on the final decision. Sewell is looking for the best and the brightest. Although the process is lengthy, they know exactly what they're looking for. Remain confident and relaxed and don't be afraid to be yourself. The entire process took approximately 6-8 weeks but was first class from beginning to end.

Interview Questions

• Basic Interview Questions such as Tell me about yourself, etc. They're really looking to gauge you and gain some insight on who you are not necessarily the things you've done   Answer Question