Shaw Communications Technical Service Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Shaw Communications Technical Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2017

2.2

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shaw Communications (Nanaimo, BC (Canada)) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview consisted of 2 phone calls and 1 in-person Q&A session. First phone call was very relaxed and went over the basics, like employment eligibility questions, estimated typing speed, and basic technical knowledge. Second interview was much less friendly and more focused on how you respond to certain customer scenarios or team settings within the job role.

Third in-person interview was done at the office by two people: one HR employee and the TSR Team Lead. Both were very professional and courteous during the process, and definitely made you feel welcome in the building as you walked by the employee areas. Introductions were made, 5-6 questions asked again to determine character and ability to think things through before replying, and a typing speed test was administered. (The keyboard I used needed replacing as it was well-worn with most of the keys being stiff and worn out.)

Overall, I felt like part of the Shaw family during the entire process, from first interview to last. The first phone interviewer was the person who called to offer the job and explain where to go and what to do on the first day. Looking forward to 5 weeks of full-time training.

Interview Questions

• A customer is angry that a technician missed the scheduled service time and didn't show up at all. How would you respond to such a customer?   1 Answer
  • A customer came home from work and noticed that his WiFi is not working on his phone or iPad. He does not know when the internet went out. What would you say?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Shaw Communications

Technical Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Shaw Communications (Winnipeg, MB (Canada)) in December 2016.

Interview

It was two weeks ago, I got a phone call from Manitoba Start. The job developer told me that my experience and background matched the requirement of Shaw communications TSR. I was very glad to hear that, so I applied the position online and attend the employer's cafe hosted by Manitoba Start. I was interviewed by a Technical Service Representative Supervisor. He asked me some questions about the position. I thought I gave him the best answers I had at that time. It took me about 20 minutes. The interviewer is very friendly.

Interview Questions

• What are the three skills a Technical Sevice Representative should have?   1 Answer

Technical Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shaw Communications (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

I had a terrible phone interview with HR Specialist from Shaw for a technical phone support position 1 year ago. Of course, I prepared for possible behavioral questions and thought about example stories.

HR Specialist asked me a question "Tell me about time you had a conflict with another employee/ how do you handle conflict situation" (I don't remember exact question but it was something similar). I never had an open conflict with anyone, I had a situation where I was discriminated by a coworker at work for being young and had to prove myself to be useful by producing good work. As result of my actions and hard work, I eventually managed to become friends with the coworker and even received a great recommendation letter from him.

Me: I have never had this exact situation you asked about but I had similar experience at company XYZ and that's what I did (start telling a story from above paragraph in details)
    She: interrupts me and repeats question again to make sure I heart it
    Me: Yes, thanks for explaining. This is what I would do if I ever encountered conflict situation at work( I gave a theory answer since she didn't want to listen to the story anyways)
    She: That's not what I am asking, tell me a real-life situation. At this point she sounds very irritated, I will never forget her intonation. I was surprised because she was HR, it was her job and she didn't act professionally at all, I truly tried to be friendly and explain why I gave certain answers before.
    Me: Then no, I didn't have any real-life conflict at work

Maybe she had a bad day/ got irritated by me not providing exact answer she was hoping for but her behavior was so unprofessional. I didn't start to fight with her but I really wanted to answer impolitely as well. My worst interview experience ever.

I will never apply to Shaw again after this.

Technical Services Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Shaw Communications.

Interview

Group interview session prior to actually having a one-on-one interview for the TSR role. You are put in a group of 8+ people and observed to see if you stand-out or appear to fit the 'Shaw family'. After which you are contacted back for a one-one-one , if proven successful, and asked numerous technical questions regarding prior experience.

Technical Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shaw Communications in June 2014.

Interview

Applied for the position online through Manpower. Had a quick phone call interview with Manpower, followed by an online behavioral and technical question session (Nothing too technical or hard for people that learn very quickly and have good high school math skills) then a face to face with Manpower about two days later. Quickly received an email that I was being booked for an interview session at Shaw's offices and I was going for the Technical Support position.

At Shaw, I was placed in one of two interview groups that each had three people. We had group activities first, then we were interviewed individually by 3 separate Shaw recruiters, all on Situational and Response questions with emphasis on basing your answer on a previous personal experience.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how pitched an idea to your manager on changing a process already in place at the company.   Answer Question

Technical Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Shaw Communications.

Interview

Well my resume was selected for a position in which I did not apply
    I was contacted by email
    Interviewed 2 times at the request of the company + 2 more times at the request of me
    None of the interviewers had any technical knowledge whatsoever

Interview Questions

• None were difficult; I could talk circles around any of them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The money was over the top. I accepted what they offered and did not need to negotiate.

Technical Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shaw Communications (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in May 2012.

Interview

Super easy interview. Speaking English and being able to differentiate between they're and their or you're and your is not a requirement. They're really desperate for people due to high turnover.

Interview Questions

• Basic, pointless questions that mean nothing. Asking for the sake of asking.   1 Answer

Technical Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shaw Communications (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in July 2009.

Interview

Applied Online.
    Phone Call and Phone Interview. 15 mins
    Group Interview. 1 hour . 10 people. 2 Interviewers.
    1:1 Interview. 2 Interviewers. 1 hour.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when a customer was upset with service/products and how you were able to satisfy them   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation it was a set hourly rate.

Technical Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Shaw Communications (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2009.

Interview

Initially I applied for the position online, I then was left a voicemail message about the career fair. I printed out the same information used online and then brought it with me to the career fair. There was well over 200 people waiting in the lobby. After a few hours went by, myself and the next few people in line were taken by elevator to another floor, and asked to fill out a one page application. The application was then held onto and I waited in another line for 1:1 interviews.

Interviewees in line were asked again when they were brought to the front of the line which job they were applying for and had to wait to be interviewed by someone from that department. Up to this point, other than the wait, things were very professional.

So the first interview was with someone from the department selected on the application. Several questions were asked which are typical of call centers, mainly regarding availability and scheduling. In addition some job specific questions in which a scenario was presented were asked (in my opinion to check that you know what you are interviewing for.)

The first interview concluded, felt somewhat rushed, but justified in the amount of people interviewing (about 5 minutes per person), I was then scheduled for a second interview.

The second interview was for the following week. The second interview was somewhat more stress inducing, as it also felt rushed, but was significantly longer. Two employees (management or supervisory staff for the department) performed the interview. The types of questions asked were the same questions also asked by other call centers in the area in regards to "what would you do in this situation" and "tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer". They were professional, however the lack of writing very little down suggested that a decision had already been made and the interview was shortened.

I was then taken over to a computer with a test in which was presented as multiple choice. The questions on the test were somewhat out of date, but otherwise was too easy. Some questions were worded in a way that could suggest that all answers were incorrect. eg "Which do you NOT need to use Shaw Internet" of which the answers were "Ethernet cable, coaxial cable, A PC or Mac, Cable Modem" , As Shaw doesn't sell wireless enabled cable modems and some Shaw customers still use the pre-DOCSIS Teryon cable modems, all the answers were incorrect from the information provided. A DOCSIS cable modem model would have a USB port, customers can use WiFi enabled devices by Wifi or Ethernet.

After I left, I received an email as follows a month later:

"Thank you for your interest in Shaw and for your application.
    We have carefully considered your application and at this time we are pursuing candidates whose qualifications more closely match our selection criteria.

Your profile will continue to reside in our database and we encourage you to update it regularly. Should we require someone with your qualifications in the near future, your application would be considered at that time.

Thank you again for your interest in Shaw. We wish you success in your future career goals.

Please note that this email address does not accept incoming emails. Please do not respond to this email."

The subject line of the email was for a different position than I had applied for, but otherwise this email has the same language as a competitor does. The questions asked during the second interview were consistent with that competitor as well, which suggests the same interview workflow was in use.

The positions applied for were reposted to the career section of the shaw.ca website, which suggests that the email is the generic "no offer" email, regardless of the reason.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to handle an angry customer.   1 Answer
    • Describe a situation where you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question