Shearman & Sterling Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Shearman & Sterling Interview Questions

Interviews at Shearman & Sterling

Paralegal Interview

Interview

I received a very quick response from the hiring manager to set up an interview less than a week after application. Met with three associates and a current paralegal during the interview (~2 hours), mostly general questions about resume and why I want to work at that firm. Also clarified the role and managed expectations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Met with several people on the team. Everyone was pretty nice if a little intense. Definitely emphasized that this job would take over your life. Last attorney I met with even discouraged me from even taking the job--very odd.

Interview Questions

• nothing was that difficult--it was all pretty standard. make sure you ask for a card from everyone since you will meet with a lot of people and it is helpful to have all their names/emails to write a thank you   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I was recruited through a university employment program. I had a sit down interview with a senior paralegal. They spoke the majority of the interview, asked a few questions about my resume, and I left. It was a very relaxed interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling (New York, NY).

Interview

I met with three different employees for half an hour. It all felt very rushed and impersonal. It felt as though they were trying to talk me out of the position.

Interview Questions

• It is a 2 year commitment, would you quit if you were unhappy here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Lot of documents needed, although process pretty short. Pretty standard for industry, just glad they are hiring new graduates. Knew what I want to practice so not difficult to interview and speak with the hiring staff. Will see how they are next year, could be hiring fewer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

It was a standard interview process. You meet with the associates and the partners, not necessarily the partners you would be working for, but some partner in the group you are interested in. Friendly people.

Interview Questions

• To describe your most challenging legal issue in law school.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling.

Interview

Thorough, met with numerous attorneys at a variety of levels. They conveyed that the work was demanding and rewarding, and that the demands would be significant. They made it clear that the experience would be extraordinary but required massive committment.

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling.

Interview

Easy interview was asked to come in twice and met with the manager and director. They asked about my background and skills. First round met with the HR and then Manager

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling.

Interview

I had a 30 minute screenout interview over the phone. The interviewer explained the context of work. He asked several basic questions and it was easy to answer. You need to prepare to explain your background and questions to ask the interviewer, but it is not difficult. The interviewer is polite and created a good atmosphere.

Legal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling in April 2016.

Interview

Spoke with two legal assistants, then three attorneys. Later spoke with a partner at the firm. Somewhat confrontational interview atmosphere. They warned me the job was unpleasant and the hours would be bad. I passed.

Interview Questions

• "Define discrimination. Can discrimination ever be positive?" Then, randomly: "Who is the President of Argentina?"   Answer Question