Shearman & Sterling Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.8

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling (New York, NY).

Interview

I met with three different employees for half an hour. It all felt very rushed and impersonal. It felt as though they were trying to talk me out of the position.

Interview Questions

• It is a 2 year commitment, would you quit if you were unhappy here?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling.

Interview

Easy interview was asked to come in twice and met with the manager and director. They asked about my background and skills. First round met with the HR and then Manager

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Very general questions, more about getting to know you and seeing if you'd be a fit for a law firm. First round was a phone interview with a hiring agency, second round consisted of three rounds of meeting employees at the firm which lasted for about 1.5 hours. Very friendly, nothing too technical asked.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied though a college recruiter. Met with an alum who was in some kind of entry level business position. She was fairly informal, and the interview was not particularly long.

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I was recruited through a university employment program. I had a sit down interview with a senior paralegal. They spoke the majority of the interview, asked a few questions about my resume, and I left. It was a very relaxed interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

Made it to the third round where I was faced with 30 minute interval discussions with the Consultants at the company. Sat down and reviewed my resume/ skill sets. It was great up until I was interviewed by a very difficult consultant who asked crazy questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me an instance where you were a leader?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about International Arbitration?   Answer Question
    • If you had three tasks due at the same time, how would you divide the work to ensure best result and time efficiency?   Answer Question

Foreign Legal Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling in March 2016.

Interview

The interview took place via Skype. First, I talked to two current legal assistants. Both were pretty nice and seemed to want to convey their personal experiences at the firm without any reservations. I was then asked to speak to 3 associates, one at a time. The first associate was also nice. He asked me about my future plans and why I wanted to work abroad. The second associate was an incarnation of Satan. He asked about my political views (we had a lengthy conversation regarding gendered bathrooms, immigration, and French politics) and then followed by explaining why my views were incorrect. He belittled my previous work experience, arguing none of it would help me in any way for this position. I have never felt more humiliated. After speaking with this associate, the third one seemed like Mother Theresa. She also asked me why I was interested in working abroad and asked why I decided to apply to this specific firm. The interview lasted over an hour and a half.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Most of the process was not so difficult. The initial interviewers were very friendly and interested in what I had to say. One attorney, however, was not so friendly. He seemed especially antagonistic and condescending, as if I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Right off the bat, he asked me, "Why are you even here?" And when I explained how I thought that my previous experience was relevant to the position, he admitted that he did not believe me.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a work routine?
      Why are you here?
      What has qualified you for this position?
      Describe a stressful situation and how you handled it for the better.
      Answer Question

Project Management Office Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for the position and during the first screen, he asked why I wanted to move from my current position, and what tools I used in my day to day work.
    The second interview was a 'superday' type with rotating interviews with the PMO team and an HR individual at Shearman.
    They all asked why I wanted to move from my current job, what my future plans were (did I see myself remaining in the Project Management space etc), asked me to explain bullet points on my resume.
    I never heard back from them but months later another recruiter contacted me for the same position without knowing I'd interviewed for it and been left hanging. That was awkward but she mentioned whoever they'd found from the round I did needed an H1B and so was let go and that I actually didn't have as many years of experience as they wanted. I wanted to scream - THEN WHY DID YOU CONTACT ME?!

Policy Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shearman & Sterling (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interviews went through several rounds: an initial interview with a member of their HR team, followed by an interview by the head of the Policy team, and then 4 consecutive 30-minute interviews with members of the Policy, Legal and Safety teams with whom the chosen applicant would have to coordinate.

Interview Questions

• How would you roll out a new policy, from its conception to enactment and enforcement? What questions would you have to ask yourself?   Answer Question