Shelby County School District Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

Sort:

Assistant Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shelby County School District (Memphis, TN) in March 2016.

Interview

Very long, had to wait on a background check for the longest time. Did not even think I was still in the process of obtaining the job. The particular thing that was the most difficult was insuring that everything within HR was complete before you finally got paid.

Interview Questions

• What particular things do you enjoy about education?   1 Answer

Special Education Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shelby County School District (Memphis, TN).

Interview

The process was brief and easy. I found the job online at the time and then completed the application. I was given a call a couple of weeks later by human resources with a date to meet with the principal for an interview. I arrived early, dressed in business casual attire and took a portfolio that included my degrees, college and community accomishments, and resume. I was only asked 2 or 3 easy questions about former work and how I would deal with difficult children. The interview only lasted about 10 minutes. I got a job offer 1-2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• How would I respond to a child having behavior issues?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None

Special Education Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Shelby County School District (Memphis, TN).

Interview

Panel interview with administration and teachers. You are asked about 25 questions. You are given a tour of the building. They are watching you interact with the students you ching in contact with on the tour. If you have a portfolio that works be very helpful.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a child in ?crisis   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shelby County School District.

Interview

I didn't actually apply for the position. My resume was in the hiring pool for teachers and was noticed by the principal of that school. She contacted me and invited me to interview. It was just she and I in the interview, which lasted about 30 minutes (maybe slightly longer). It was an average interview. She hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions

• If the school was a basketball team, which position would you play? (She formerly played and coached basketball)   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shelby County School District.

Interview

Interviews really depend on the school you're interviewing with. If your resume is a fit, you will likely be called into an interview with the principal or vice principal. Be prepared to discuss your approach to classroom management, student engagement, and differentiated instruction. The principal needs to have an idea whether or not you will be effective in the classroom, and be able to deliver when it comes to high-stakes test scores that are the basis for school closures.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you would incorporate Bloom's Taxonomy into a routine lesson.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Shelby County School District (Memphis, TN) in May 2015.

Interview

Panel interview, including other teachers, admin staff, and the principal. I was asked about philosophy of education, teaching style, and how I would handle differentiated instruction and classroom management?
    I was asked to talk them through a sample lesson that I had prepared, discuss student centers, intervention, and assessment. Topics of discussion were Response to Intervention, upcoming testing requirements and expectations, and my commitment to increased student achievement.
    Another topic of discussion was my ability to work in learning communities, handle frequent change, and meet deadlines.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would I handle a difficult situation with a student? parent? colleague?
      Q: How do I communicate with parents? What are good strategies to improve parental involvement.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shelby County School District.

Interview

In depth telephone interview from district hiring personnel.
    Potentially in depth face-to-face interview with principals or a group of school level administrators and teachers. School level interviews vary depending on your background. They ask the questions your resume does not answer (how you raise student achievement, parent and community involvement, other skills that can strengthen school image or function)

Interview Questions

• Something like...
      Explain how you would teach a class of second graders a lesson on main idea. They want to know how you will know their prerequisite knowledge and skills and how you will manage behavior. You must share all lesson components including your motivation, guided practice, small group and work station activities (with set up details and materials), lesson closure, and assessment.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Hiring process was relatively quick. They wanted to know you were able to problem solve in unconventional ways and use a good, solid foundation of understanding educational strategies.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle discipline problems in your classroom?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shelby County School District (Memphis, TN) in October 2009.

Interview

During the hiring process, scenarios were given and I was asked what would I do in those particular situations. I was also asked about past teaching experience. I was asked to complete a sample lesson plan.

Interview Questions

• Because the interview was so long ago, I can't recall a difficult question. I will say the interviewer was slightly intimidating, but I think this was a tactic to determine if I would fold under pressure.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not a negotiable phase. The offer was firm.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shelby County School District in July 2011.

Interview

It is a normal Teacher Interview: Bring your resume and your portfolio if you have one. Be prepared to talk about your experience, your teaching philosophy, your achievements/ awards, etc. You may choose a specific area of town in which to teach, but they will ultimately assign you to a place.

Interview Questions

• What is/are your certification(s)? How are you most qualified for this position?   Answer Question