Shell Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,178 Interview Reviews

3.4

1,178 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Shell.

Interview

The questions were mostly behavior, and easy to prepare for. I would recommend googling past questions because they don't change often. Make sure you can answer behavioral questions well. The process is much easier if you have interned there and got an offer from an exit interview.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Interview Interview

Interview

Submit online application through shell website, followed by 2 online assessments: Part 1 competency-based questions. Part 2 decision-making and problem-solving questions. The problem-solving task is timed. Need to finish 16 numerical tests questions within 18 minutes. Pass the assessments, you will get an email from the recruiter to set up a phone interview. Interview takes around 45 minutes. All are behavior questions. Prepare a lot of examples with details and follow STARR model.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to change your approach to something.   2 Answers
    • Why do you want to work in the energy industry?   Answer Question

Graduate Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

First you submit your application which is your basic format. Then you'll be instructed to complete three assessments. The first is a competency test with three parts that are 4 minutes each. The first of these three parts is sort of a reading comprehension test (_ is to _ as _ is to ? type questions and if all _ are _, and _ is _ then all _ are ?), then a math test (profit calculations, simple series and sequences), and then an abstract reasoning (shapes and arrow sequences where you guess the next item). To be frank, its really difficult because of the time restriction even with a good calculator and everything you need available.

The second assessment is behavioral and asks a little over 50 questions about how you handle conflicts, take criticism, lead teams, tackle challenges, all the basic stuff. A lot of the questions are rewordings of previous questions so I felt like it was more for determining consistency of your answers and to weed out people just selecting randomly.

The third assessment is an on-demand interview through HireVue which was incredibly unnerving. Even after days of preparation and preparing answers long beforehand it was very, very stressful. You have to answer 5 questions and you're given 30 seconds to prepare after being given the question and then 3 minutes to answer. The questions aren't too difficult but the time constraint and the randomness of them made it hard to answer without feeling uncomfortable. If your cool as a cucumber you'll probably be okay but if you're anxious like me then you'll have a hard time like I did. I feel like this is why I was disqualified from the running even though I gave full answers they could probably see through my nervousness.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you overcame a limitation to achieve success. For example you can discuss 1.) the situation, 2.) your achievement, 3.) the difficultly of the limitation.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell.

Interview

Behavioral questions. Interview is through phone, may take about one hour. Make sure prepare some common behavioral questions. They usually not change much. Be careful about the follow-up questions. It is gonna be a lot.

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell.

Interview

They ask you to do an capacity test (prepare for this), a personality test, and a online interview infront of the webcam. Two days after (in the weekend) I got a message saying I was not through to the next round. This basically suggests that computers are checking it and no human being has actually read your application! Spend all this time for nothing! CRAZY!

Interview Questions

• Questions were related to the corporate culture and especially about how you convince people, if you adapt to different cultures easily etc.   Answer Question

Terminal Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Very corporate. Have initial questionnaire / application, have a few hour pass or fail test to determine what type of person you are, interview at site and physical / drug test .

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were unsure of how to do something? Did you succeed and how did you go about it? Did you take away anything from this?   1 Answer

Intern Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Shell.

Interview

The process consisted of talking to a recruiter, two different online competency tests - one math-based and one logic-based. Then if you pass those (which seemed pretty difficult, especially the math) there was one phone interview for approximately 1.5 hours

Interview Questions

• Name a time you worked in a group where people were different from you?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Shell.

Interview

Was asked basic questions. Describe a time you were challenged out of your comfort zone, what makes you an effective team member etc. Two separate interviewers and a group interview.

Senior Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell.

Interview

Skype interview and then HR round. did background check. asked some relavent questions that are in your resume. your experiance matters. Skype interview and then HR round. did background check. asked some relavent questions that are in your resume. your experiance matters.

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell (Bellingham, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

After submitting an application, I qualified to take an online test that was pass/fail. The test took about 90 minutes and included a personality test. A week later, I was emailed to schedule a panel interview. The interview was timed, and they wanted specific examples for each question. Use the STAR method. My interview was conducted by the internship coordinator and two operators. All were friendly and made the experience less tense.

Interview Questions

• What makes a good team member?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you needed to use analytical skills to solve a complex problem. How did you identify that the problem was complex?   Answer Question