Shell Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 20, 2017
1,066 Interview Reviews

3.4

Graduate Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell.

Interview

First two interactions are online tests, then had hour long interview over the phone. The guy wanted very specific examples to his questions Got invited to go to Houston for Recruitment day. Thought it went well. Waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a time when you completed a large task start to finish.   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shell (New Orleans, LA) in November 2015.

Interview

I actually got a "thanks for your interest, but not right now" type of response when I first applied, then about 10 months later got an email out of the blue saying that they had my resume on file and had an opening for me. I always thought that was a nice way of putting your application in the shredder. Go figure.
    Anyway, they do a 2 part online test to screen resumes, those are about 20 minutes long and about the same content as 15 or so SAT questions. Then you are contacted for a phone interview. If you pass that, they send you to Shell Recruitment Day (SRD) at one of their sites and you go through a full day of activities with a group of people (about 3-10 other college grads) and you are each rated 1-5. Some are conflict resolution problems, some are answering emails, some are you telling them how you develop an oil field in a fictional country. If your average score is above 3 you get the job.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were long, multi-part scenarios. "Tell me about a time...." then more specific questions about that experience. Some of them were pretty specific so it was a bit difficult to pick the right story based on the first question.   1 Answer

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

Multiple assessments are conducted online through the Shell Careers page before you receive confirmation of a phone or face to face interview. Was contacted for a phone interview, which took approximately 2 hours, and was subsequently invited to the company's recruitment day, which is a final round interview assessment at the company's headquarters.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you received feedback, and how you responded.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Shell (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

Received call from shell personal at scheduled time. The questions were purely behavioral. I applied for the assessed internship for engineering and was interviewed by a geophysicist. There were no questions about my resume. At the end he stated that the interview portion was done and asked if I have any questions for him.

Geologist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell in November 2015.

Interview

The interview was very structured. The interviewer had a list questions to ask and recorded my answers. The questions followed the format: "Describe a time when..." or "Describe an experience with..."

Interview Questions

• IIRC, one question was, "Describe when you created or invented something new or did something in a new or unique way."   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

Interviewer first introduced himself. Then he asked questions for about half an hour. There is no technical questions. All of them are about behavior and characters. These questions are not difficult if you have prepared for them. These questions can be found online and they did not ask me any new questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to change your approach in achieving a goal?
      Describe a time when you had to build a relationship with someone you don't know and achieve a goal
      What can you bring for Shell.
      Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

First is online assessment for math - difficult from time constraint. Next is in person/phone interview - easy behavioral questions. If you are part of the 3% that applied and get to the recruitment day good luck. By far the hardest recruitment/ interview process I've ever done before. You start at 7am and end at 4pm where you have an e-tray exercise (look this up), then a group case study, then a reflection interview, followed by an individual case study (extremely difficult), and then a final interview. There is basically one case study for the entire day and that is broken up into smaller more detailed case studies. The etray is basically an email simulation where you are given a case study that contains a ton of information and you have to respond to emails based on the information given-the planning phase. Then you have to write the risks/opportunities to that situation. Next you have a group case study which builds off the etray. There are up to 6 people per recruitment day. With these people you are set in front of 6 assessors who watch you while you and the other candidates work as a team on this case studying writing out details and such on a white bird in front of them, coming up with a solution. Next is the reflection interview which assess what you think you could've done better and what you thought you did well on. Then comes the individual case study which is the hardest out of the entire day. You have 20 minutes to read about 4 pages of information and then 7 more pages of financial info, gdp info, market growth, it system costs, customer service costs, industry standards, and so much more things (it is insane how much info they expect you to retain). You then have 5 minutes to plead you case to two assessors on your recommendation, then they give you a 30/40 minute interview asking you very in depth questions and changing the scenarios to see how you react. After that you have a regular interview with two other assessors - pretty much the same as your first round interview. This was he hardest interview process I have ever gone through in my life. It was extremely hard, I thought I did well and I even received positive feedback and still did not get an offer. Good luck make sure you can read info fast and understand oil implications on people the planet and the economy.

Interview Questions

• They didn't ask me this directly but they asked another kid "where do you think oil prices will be in the next year, why?" They expected a very thorough answer with real reasons, not like I think supply is going to go down in the oil so it should be up to 50, no you'll get crushed if you say anything like that-I cannot stress how difficult this recruitment day was.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell.

Interview

Had an on-campus behavioral interview which lasted about 45 minutes. The interviewer asked questions about previous projects and work experience. Next, questions were asked about leadership experience and team work experience.

Interview Questions

• How would resolve a conflict between two members of a team you are leading?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell.

Interview

The interview is a completely behavioral process. Definitely format your answers using STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) in order to effectively get your point across. The application online for the Assessed Internship is a general application to the internship where you'll input your preferences. You will also need to take two online assessments. They have practice assessments online that will familiarize you with the format.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Shell.

Interview

After I submitted my application through shell website, I took 2 online assesement. The first one was behavioral test and the second one was data analysis test. After I completed all the online part, I recevied email from recruiter and we set up the interview. Interview was 1 hour, Recruiter asked me 5 behavioral questions and general questions such as why I want to work at Shell.