Shimmick Construction Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Shimmick Construction

2.8

Construction Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shimmick Construction (Oakland, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I was selected for an interview after meeting with the recruiter at our school's career fair. I interviewed in person the following morning. I was then contacted about 2 weeks later to be invited to come an interview in person with the entire office. I was flown to Oakland and had a hotel stay paid for me. It was very nice. The team seemed interesting and it was quite nice to be flown out for an interview. The interview itself was with the entire team in the office and had about a 5 minute time limit with each different person. The reason I did not accept was that the monetary offer did not reflect the bay area pricing for housing, food, etc. I was offered $1000 per week which did not include taxes being taken out (CA taxes among the highest in the country). Furthermore, I asked several employees where they lived and they mostly lived in Sacramento (about 1.5 hours away) and simply drove into work every day. This is not a quality of life I wanted for myself or my family.

After I contacted the recruiter and told them I was not accepting their offer, I got no response and felt this was very unprofessional which only solidified my refusing their offer.

Interview Questions

• How have you responded to conflict in the past and how would you handle this now?   Answer Question

Contracts Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shimmick Construction (Long Beach, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Waited a few minutes... interviewer was a resume reader who went down my resume and asked questions about each section. The wait to hear back was about 2 weeks.

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Shimmick Construction in September 2010.

Interview

Great time. They know how to have fun. There were about 10 short interviews with two or more people, and everyone they pretty much just asked "Tell me about yourself." Later they took us to the Lakers game, where you were able to network with the guys more. Overall it was a great experience, but this company isn't for everyone. I kinda got the feel that they try to make it out to be fun all the time and work isn't like that.
    Overall great guys, fun atmosphere, not for everyone, but check them out.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Shimmick Construction (Irvine, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

It was very basic, they asked what you know about them and what you think about the company. After, they start to clarify what they do and what they expect. They acknowledge what you say and tailor questions toward that.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to Join Shimmick?
      What do you know about us?
      What outside activities do you do?   Answer Question

Environmental Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Shimmick Construction (City of Industry, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

It was a pretty laid back process. They brought me into their office, and I interviewed with the Project Manager, Project Engineer, and the Business Manager, each for about 20-30 minutes. They asked me questions about my resume, and then just had a conversation about things I liked and how I might fit into the program. Then we talked about the culture of the company.

Interview Questions

• What is your previous work experience?
      Why should the company hire you?   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shimmick Construction (Oakland, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

The process is typically a round robin interview process across multiple managers in the home office or at various project offices. You sit with either one manager or 2 or 3 managers at a time for the interview. Experience and technical questions are often asked and compensation and benefit clarity is given. It's a very laid back process. In some cases, depending on the position, additional happy hour or other activities follow the interview process.

Interview Questions

• I was asked technical questions regarding past project with other employers that I had worked on. It got down to the details of equipment, falsework, etc.   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Shimmick Construction.

Interview

Talked to recruiter initially at a job fair, was called for an interview a couple weeks later. Flown in for the weekend. Full day of interviews and job site tours, then all interviewees were taken to a basketball game in a private box with a lot of the company employees and executives. Overall a long but very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral questions, just a lot of them. 8 two-on-one or three-on-one interviews.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Shimmick Construction (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Initially relaxed. On campus interview was with 3 employees. Interview proceeding that was in California and extensive 2 hours of round robin interviewing which included 8, 15 minute interviews, with 2 employees in each interview. The interviewers ranged up to the CEO of the company.

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shimmick Construction (Long Beach, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview process was a full day event. It was a group setting. They supplied breakfast, we had multiple short interviews with different people from the company. We went out on a job site and they took us out to dinner after.

Project Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shimmick Construction in March 2011.

Interview

Morning: job site tour
    Lunch: CPK
    Afternoon: 10 interviews with 20-30 people in the company- each interview lasted 10-15 minutes
    Dinner: Basketball game at Oracle Arena to watch Golden State Warriors

They like to work really hard but seem to play really hard too. May be tough if you're looking for work-life balance.

Interview Questions

• If you ran across someone who did not or would not work well independently, what would you do?   1 Answer