Shutterfly Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Shutterfly

2.7

Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Mill, SC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Shutterfly (Fort Mill, SC) in August 2015.

Interview

Initial interview was conducted over the telephone with a recruiter and then an in-person interview was conducted a week later. Interview was with the manager of the division that the position was located. Interview was easy, but was not too professional. Was read generic questions from a sheet and the Manager seemed disinterested in the process. After the interview, was contacted and notified that the company decided to hire for the position from within. After reading employee reviews which indicate there is a good amount of favoritism within the organization, this comes as no surprise. If you are going to hire from within, don't waste other professionals' time with the process.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shutterfly.

Interview

Initial communication was with someone in recruiting. She coordinated the phone interview with the hiring manager, which went smoothly. I was then invited in for an onsite interview with multiple team members. After the onsite interview I never heard back from anyone. I followed up with the recruiter and she said she'd have someone get back to me. Never heard back from anyone.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in January 2009.

Interview

Applied for posted position with one of the marketing teams. Interviewed with HR on phone initially who set up telephone interviews with Hiring Manager and then VP. After VP phone interview, HR set up 5 in person appointments at Shutterfly (including Hiring Manager and VP) on a single day.

Unbeknownst to me, the job description of available position had been changed and I was not informed of the change. Most of the questions being asked didn't make sense to me for the position I was interviewing for. Questions were pretty standard stuff, nothing difficult to have a conversation with potential peers. I felt the interviews went well and the hiring manager was excited and told me to expect an offer the following week.

I was told three times in the following week that they were working on an offer and was suprised to find out there was to be no offer. The explanation was that the hiring manager and VP had okayed my hire, but the peers I interviewed with didn't feel I was a good fit for the team: that I was opinionated, wasn't already a Shutterfly customer (utilized a competing service) and they didn't believe I was interviewing for the "right reasons".

Changing the job description without informing the person interviewing is ridiculous! After the fact, I understood why the potential peers asked the questions they did. My internal contact ended up being more of a hindrance than a help so it was a disappointing experience overall.

Interview Questions

• There were several questions regarding my management experience that I found odd, especially given that there was no staff oversight/management involved with the job I believed I was interviewing for.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in April 2009.

Interview

Interview process was pretty standard. Had a phone interview with a Recruiter and then came in a couple of times and met the hiring manager, two marketing managers and CMO. Fairly standard interview questions. Make sure you know about Shutterfly, the product offering, and have made a photo book before.

Interview Questions

• An example of a company that has exceptional marketing/advertising and a company that does not.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

The interview process begins with the typical screening interview with the Sr HR Manager, followed by the Hiring Manager and then others as applicable. Initial round is by phone and then you're brought in person. Standard interview questions, nothing too tough or out of the ordinary. Everyone I interviewed with was very nice. There was some delay in communication between rounds - which I'm guessing is due to interviewing with other candidates. But in my opinion, the professional thing to do is to stay in touch even if it's to say we're interviewing others - I know I'm not the only one you're talking to.

Interview Questions

• Have you made any mistake twice and how have you course corrected?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The HR Managers are seasoned negotiators. Be sharp, don't give in. Write down what you are told at different times so you can compare your notes and have leverage when negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Met the recruiter and hiring manager at one of their hiring events. The manager asked me to go to the office for a more detailed interview, but didn't get back to me for at least a week. I emailed them to ask when the schedule is and instead, got a phone call from the recruiter to say I wasn't a fit. No explanations on what really happened.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shutterfly (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter within days of submitting my resume. She was really friendly, and we had a great conversation. Unfortunately the position was put on hold.

Interview Questions

• Why are you wanting to leave your current position?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your experience doing [insert skill from job description].   Answer Question

Merchandise Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Shutterfly (San Francisco, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

Shutterfly Recruiter emailed me to schedule an interview date/time. The day before she rescheduled the time due to a “conflict”. The day of the interview she never called or emailed. I emailed her to see what happened. I didn’t get a response until 8pm that night saying that she had a “conflict” and to reschedule once again. I responded and never heard back from her. I’ve never had that happen before. Very unprofessional, especially from a recruiter who works for Shutterfly!

Interview Questions

• Never had a chance to actually have an interview because the recruiter never called me on the scheduled day/time of the interview, nor did we ever reschedule.   Answer Question

Merchandising Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shutterfly in January 2015.

Interview

Applied for a Merchandising job. Based on the job description, I definitely was a great fit. I interviewed with a corporate recruiter who did not seem to understand what skills the position required. I also wondered if she read my resume...as she seemed to be confused about my background.However, I thought the interview went fairly well. After not hearing from her, I called the recruiter and I was told that they felt my background would be a better fit for a different position.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Shutterfly? What do you know about the position?   Answer Question

HR Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shakopee, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shutterfly (Shakopee, MN) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online and 3 weeks later a phone interview was setup and a week after that a 2 hour in person interview. When I arrived for the interview I was told my schedule had changed. Met with 6 different individuals all were great except the two from HR. It was as if they had never interviewed anyone in their life. No planned questions trying to think of them with long "umm" and pauses. Honestly I was trying to not laugh.

Interview Questions

• Management asked good behavioral questions. HR asked questions like "how do you stay organized"   Answer Question