Sierra Club Community Outreach Coordinator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Sierra Club

1 Interview Review

Community Outreach Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Richmond, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied for the Community Outreach Coordinator Position at the Richmond, Va Chapter and received an interview request two days later. I was told that they were hoping for a fairly quick hiring process and we scheduled my phone interview for a week and a half later. The phone interview went really well! I felt like I connected well with the hiring manager and I was very enthusiastic and showed my excitement for the position. The woman was pretty professional over the phone and I got a great feeling about the office and work environment.

The phone interview happened on a Friday and I received an email Monday evening telling me two things: One that I was qualified for an in person interview (to be scheduled the following week on a Thursday or Friday) and that the hiring manager would get back to me by the end of that current week with a time. Secondly I was asked for a sample of my writing, which I wrote and sent back in a few hours after receiving the email.

I waited and didn't receive an email by the end of the week and decided to follow-up on Sunday evening with an email inquiry. I was working full time and needed ample time to ask off for the interview that was to be scheduled. I did not hear anything the next day which was a Monday so I decided to give the office a call on Tuesday morning. No one answered so I left a message explaining that I needed to ask off that day if I was going to be able to participate in an in-person interview that Thursday or Friday. I waited and did not receive a phone call or email. Thursday came and went and on Friday I received a rejection email telling me that a lot of people had applied and they decided to go with a more qualified candidate, but that they hoped I would join in their fight by volunteering. They also informed me that because of the amount of applications they had received they wouldn't be able to respond to any application questions based on my application experience.

I was honestly shocked by the lack of professionalism and communication by their office. I was told that I had qualified for an in-person interview, but wasn't given the curtesy of a time scheduled. At the time I was very disappointed because I thought I wanted this job more than any other job I had applied to. After my experience I realized that it was probably for the best because if this is how they communicate with and treat potential employees, then I can't imagine the lack of communication and order they have in the work environment with current employees.

My advice to anyone applying to the Richmond, Virginia Chapter is to take it slow, interview the hiring manager just as much as they're interviewing you, and make sure you're aware that a lack of communication may be a possibility.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this position?
    Why do you want to work for the Sierra Club?
    Define Climate Change in your own words.
    Tell me what your greatest strength is.
    Tell me what your greatest weakness is.   Answer Question