Sierra Club Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Sierra Club

2.9

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (New York, NY) in August 2008.

Interview

Decent communication beforehand. Easy going interview that encouraged discussion and openness. Good followup questions that allowed me to present my qualifications in a context that was relevant to the position. Naively, though, I did not pick up on several signs that the organization itself is rather dysfunctional in terms of employee well-being.

Interview Questions

• Lots of people want to work for The Sierra Club. Why would we select you over others?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Inflexible. Another clue that I should have noted before accepting.

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Sierra Club.

Interview

I was contacted by the "Head of HR" via LInkedIn about a possible new position in L&D for Sierra Club. This was a person who I had worked with at a prior company. We scheduled a phone conversation. The conversation covered the vision for the role and ended with an action item in which I was told he would have someone contact me for a more formal interview in the next few days. I followed up with a Thank You LinkedIn message. A week went by, far beyond the time frame I was told, so I sent another LinkedIn message just following up and checking the status of the process. I still have not heard anything, and this was in October of 2014.

I understand positions may come and go or not happen, but to have a HR Head say they will have someone follow up with you, after they initiated contact and to then never follow up and re-connect is poor customer service and unacceptable.

Senior Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

After two phone calls I was interviewed in the national office. It was simple, quick, and transparent. The individual who would be the manager for the position was clear and honest about the expectations for the role.

Interview Questions

• What will it take to win this campaign?   1 Answer

Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Seattle, WA) in June 2014.

Interview

First I had a phone interview and discussed the details of the position, which made me realize the position was pretty flexible as would be the sort of experience where you get out of it what you put into it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and why you are interested in the Sierra Club.   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was requested for a phone interview a few weeks later. Applications are submitted through the national chapter and you are contacted based on the position you applied for. I had issues with the local interviewer obviously not thoroughly reading my cover letter and the organization never following up as a whole. This is disappointing since you expect more from a " socially conscious" organization.

Interview Questions

• Overall basic phone interview questions: ask about experience and go into an in-depth explanation of the role. Major issue with no follow up.   1 Answer

Communications Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Interviewed by committee of 6. Referred by the predecessor, who was a friend. This interview was farcical and people spent as much time talking to each other as they did to me re: my qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job?   1 Answer
    • How much experience have you had as a volunteer/working w/ volunteer populations?   1 Answer

Deputy Press Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

The position was initially posted about six months ago. I applied after seeing the opening two months later. After another month I found out there was a delay because the person supervising the position was changing. After another month I was contacted by phone to see if I was still interested in the position. After several more weeks I recontacted to see what the status was and was advised I'd be contacted for for a phone screening. I was finally scheduled for a 15 minute phone screening a week later. After doing the phone screening, no contact from them for three weeks. Found out through other channels that they had sent around internal emails seeking additional candidates after the phone screening. Called back the interviewer to see what the status was and was advised someone else would contact me. Subsequently was advised that they were moving forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• How I would address issues of inclusiveness with a diverse set of stakeholders.   1 Answer

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Washington, DC).

Interview

I had one phone interview and one in person interview with the team. The phone interview was brief and was with my potential supervisor. The supervisor mostly asked about my resume and experience in my current position. The in person panel interview was candid and mostly to meet the folks on the team and get to know one another.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Editorial Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Oakland, CA).

Interview

I had two interviews, one over Skype and another in person. The interviewers were very kind, patient and professional. They went over responsibilities and then asked me about my interest in applying for the fellowship and what I wanted to gain out of it.

Interview Questions

• Previous experience with journalism and why I want to work in environmental journalism   Answer Question

Senior Front End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (San Francisco, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

The interview process took place over quite an extended time-frame. After the initial phone screen, I was given an exercise to complete (a little strange in terms of design...but OK), which took roughly a couple hours. Following that, about a week later, was a second phone interview, and then a couple weeks after that a face-to-face interview in the office, first with a panel and then with the manager and the director. And then finally there was a 2 week waiting period before hearing the results. Not once did I have any hesitation about the place, the job, or any of the several people with whom I spoke--all were completely cordial and professional. And combined with the fact that I particularly respect and appreciate what the Sierra Club does, I very likely would have taken the job had it been offered to me--assuming the salary had been adequate (see previous interview writeup).

Furthermore, even though they did not end up making me an offer, I would have still given the experience a positive rating if it weren't for one aspect. All along the process from beginning to end, whenever Drupal was mentioned I clearly stated that, though I had worked with other CMS's, I had not worked with that particular CMS before (although I assured them I would do all I could to come up to speed prior to starting if selected-- and they always said 'no problem'--including at the in-office interview; in fact they consistently seemed very positive about my suitability for the position. So when they informed me 2 weeks later that they had offered the job to someone else and I asked what took me out of the running, I suppose it was sort of a surprise and yet not a surprise that they said...Drupal! Seems to me it would have saved a good deal of time for all involved if they had first interviewed only those candidates with prior Drupal experience before moving on to other candidates such as myself.

So I have to say the way it was handled was disappointing given the long tradition of Sierra Club membership in my family--as a matter of fact, Ansel Adams was a good friend of my father (true story!).