Sierra Club Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sierra Club Interview Questions

Interviews at Sierra Club

2.9

Water Policy Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sierra Club.

Interview

I head about the Sierra Club through a friend and was very excited to work with a great environmental group. My interview went well and I was hired within 2 hours. I was told I would be a water policy intern working in an open work space (like a think tank).

Interview Questions

• They didn't ask anything too hard. They did ask how you previously overcame a difficult experience at a workplace or internship.   Answer Question

Digital Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sierra Club.

Interview

I applied online through Sierra Club's careers page. I heard back about 2 months later to schedule a video interview. Overall, the process was simple and straightforward. I enjoyed the experience and felt that the interview was personal.

Interview Questions

• What sort of digital project would you be interested in pursuing during your fellowship?   Answer Question

Online Organizer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Sierra Club in August 2015.

Interview

I saw some of the reviews on glassdoor prior about how the prospective employer never got back to the interviewee, which in the end was my case. The hiring process was straight forward. I applied online, received and email with a request to set up a phone screening. The phone screening was equally simple. I was then invited again via email to a group panel interview, which was simple and enjoyable. The team was very nice, intelligent and welcoming. The process was very long- 3 months! In the end, I was passed up for an internal candidate. The prospective employer was so taken by me and the recommendations that she introduced me to another department looking for the same position. Although, I had to go through the process again, I was and am very thankful.

The reason that I'm rating this as a negative experience is because the prospective employer never got back to me after interviewing me for an hour about the new position. After a period, I even emailed her to check in and never got a response. I understand that they are probably swamped with people because it's a great organization, however, this is a simple, common courtesy that too many are letting slip through the cracks. Being left hanging about what is the rest of the timeline and whether or not I am moving to the next step is poor.

Interview Questions

• What has been your experience with mass text messaging systems?   Answer Question

Research and Polling Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Washington, DC) in September 2014.

Interview

Monitor and compile national environmental polls and research for 300 staff members and lobbyists.
    Draft a one page report every 2 weeks for Sierra Sync online newsletter with ~400 staff and volunteer readers.
    Draft and edit polling briefings and newsletters related to environmental issues, such as climate change.

Associate Organizing Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club in August 2015.

Interview

Applied for the position in early August. Had a preliminary phone interview/screening one-on-one via phone about a week and a half later. Advanced to the next step of the process which was a group video interview with several higher representatives in the company. Very professional and cordial panel. Although I did not receive the position, I had a very positive experience and rate the organization very highly.

Interview Questions

• Q: What experience do you have on campaigns and in the non-profit sector?   Answer Question
    • Q: What environmental issue do you feel most strongly about and why?   Answer Question

Associate Organizing Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Had an initial 30-minutes phone interview that asked basic questions. A few days later, I was invited into the office for a second interview, this time with 4 other staff members.

Political Compliance Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

I found the job online. I applied and got an email in about 2 days about when to set up a phone interview. We had to do some schedule maneuvering because the interviewer was traveling.

We had about a 20 minute phone conversation about the position and what it entailed. While I had a lot of experience that would have been perfectly relevant, I was disappointed to find that the job seemed to be geared more towards training than research (the job description made me think it was more of a research position with its emphasis on gathering information, managing reports, etc.). What was also not listed at all in the job description was traveling to do these trainings.

I was a bit caught off guard and I think that probably reflected in my interview. The interviewer seemed more interested in having someone who had already done actual trainings before.

The interviewer said he'd let me know by the middle of the following week. The end of the following week went by plus a few more days and I followed up by email. In reply I received a form email letting me know I did not get the position. It was a little disappointing to have to prompt them in order to find out whether I should move on or not.

I never met the interviewer in person. Honestly I wasn't too upset because while I had been very excited when I read the job posting, the fact that travel wasn't listed as part of the job made me wary and the emphasis on training during the interview (despite not having been thoroughly detailed in the job posting) told me this wasn't going to be a good fit. It wasn't a lot of trips (5-6 total a year across the country I think) but travel is usually listed in job postings and it seemed very odd that this wasn't at all mentioned if it's required to train people.

Interview Questions

• What interested me in this position? Did I have experience in conducting trainings? What was my experience with campaign finance compliance?   Answer Question

Political Inern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club in January 2016.

Interview

One interview, in Lansing. Submitted application, got an email response. Solidified a mutual meeting time to have an interview at the Michigan HQ. Overall a pretty easy process and one that helped the interviewee get to know more about the position and organization.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the position?
      Any politial experience?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club in July 2016.

Interview

I was contacted two days after I submitted my application and was asked for a skype interview the next week. The interview was pretty normal, why I wanted the position, why I would be a good fit, what ideas I had to write about, etc. Then two days after that they offered me the position.

Program Training Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Oakland, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

40 minutes over google hangout or phone. Fourteen resumes chosen from hundreds of applicants. Within days of interviewing everyone, called up everyone to let them know if they were selected or not and explained why or why not. Very considerate and professional.