Silicon Labs Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

3.2

IC Layout Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (Austin, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

The company contacts school to recruit student. Signed up for interview at school (ACC) and it took 30 min each candidate. The question is not hard and easy. Total 14 people signed up for interview, only 8 get onsite interview. Interestingly those 6 who are not chosen are all Asia(5)n and 1 guy with years of experience. This company has a reputation of discriminated against minority and only pick young people. If you are minority, you won't have chance. People who work there also agree with the way they hire people but not dare to say. They should be investigated about hiring policy and practice.

Interview Questions

• Most question are technical. Couple of not related to anything.   Answer Question

Silicon Labs Response

Apr 30, 2017 – Community Relations Specialist

We’re sorry to hear you had a negative experience during your conversations with Silicon Labs. We value diversity and take your comments seriously. While our managers use consistent frameworks for ... More

Product Launch Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

Extremely professional!

Applied online. Then received Initial phone call outreach. Then scheduled a phone interview with manager. Once phone interview was complete, offer was received in the same week. Very friendly. They were there and able to answer any/all of my questions. The process was not arduous and very streamlined/efficient.

Graduate Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (Austin, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online through Linkedin. Got scheduled for a phone interview within a week by the hiring manager. Got called for a full day on site after 2 weeks. It consisted of 8 comprehensive 45 minute interviews.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied Online, got an email from HR about the position. Telephone interview was scheduled in a week, followed by an on-site interview after 2 weeks. On-site interview has one HR and 6 technical rounds. The interviews are primarily based on basics and the past projects. It’s a full day process and would be grilling. The interviewers are very knowledgeable & helpful and look for how the candidate thinks.

Interview Questions

• Basic RF questions: Mixers, LNA, Oscillators. Signal Processing questions   Answer Question

Field Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (Austin, TX).

Interview

I found out about Silicon Labs through my University career networking site. I saw that they had a relevant position to my experience and interests, and I received an email requesting an interview promptly. They were remarkably accommodating, and they helped me get through the interview process quickly to . It is a serial interview with various staff members. They are all knowledgeable and amiable, so the best advice is to relax. Although I was an exception to the norm, they made an offer within 24 hours, and I accepted their offer over multiple other companies. Do your research and know the company and industry before the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is really no need to negotiate.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (Austin, TX).

Interview

First had a phone call with the hiring manager. He asked a couple of basic IC-level design questions over the phone. Then I had another phone call with another member of the team. He also asked some basic questions on EE fundamentals (RLC networks, etc). After these two interviews, they flew me out to Austin for an on-site interview. This interview is not for the faint of heart. I met with 10 people over the course of 8 hours. This included one non-technical meeting with an HR person and a lunch outing with one person. The remaining 8 meetings were technical interviews. These interviews included meeting with very technical people including distinguished engineers and fellows in the company. The questions were very IC-design-level focused. Make sure you know all of your IC fundamentals: current mirrors, diff pairs, noise analysis, miller compensation, etc. The questions were some of the hardest I've ever had in an interview, but it seems like they don't expect you to actually know 100% of the answers. I was made an offer about a week after the interview.

Interview Questions

• What happens when you have a diff pair with a current mirror load on top and a tail current source on the bottom, and you sweep one of the diff pairs gate voltage (VX) from 0 to VDD while holding the other's gate voltage at VDD/2. Plot the two branch currents vs the gate voltage.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is definitely room for some negotiation if you have other offers. Can't hurt to ask.

NCG Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (Austin, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

Contacted on phone. Went well. Called for onsite interview. Fast and organized.

Interview Questions

• Gave me a PLL circuit. Asked me to write C code to set it up for a given frequency.   Answer Question
    • Write C code to configure a UART Receiving side. Had given the hardware manual   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (Austin, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

I found the position at my campus career fair and was selected for an interview a few weeks later. The interview was mostly technical. I found out about a week later that I was not selected for the next round. Overall, it was a simple and pleasant process. I regret not reviewing the related course material enough beforehand.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an interesting project you have worked on.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (Austin, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

Typical semiconductor industry interview... email to schedule phone screen, 1 hour technical discussion over the phone, followed by an all day on-site interview which is similar to an 8 hour university final exam

Product Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (Austin, TX) in May 2012.

Interview

The on campus interview is about opamp and nyquist theorem. The time domain analysis of opamp is asked. The on site interview is about projects I've done before, simple IC design questions regarding opamp, and some about RF front ends.

Interview Questions

• There are questions require practical experience, like put a diode to avoid peaks.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate, it's a summer internship.