Silver Spring Networks Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated May 30, 2017

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Silver Spring Networks (Redwood City, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from the recruiter in few days. The recruiter had few pre-screen technical questions before she forwarded the profile to the hiring manager, hence the initial call with the recruiter lasted for about 45 minutes. She also asked me about my project, and why I was looking for a change and also discussed what the company is expecting in the role and also what it has to offer in terms of work and technologies.

Following this I got an email in a few days from the recruiter saying that the hiring manager liked my profile and wanted to chat further. A phone screen was arranged with one of the architects in the team. The interview was an hour long which ranged from design questions, core java technical questions, and also a small coding exercise in an online tool like codepair. I had a positive feeling about this interview and the architect confirmed that she would like to invite me to their office for a set of onsite interviews.

The recruiter then asked me about my availability and scheduled a 4-5 hour visit to their campus for a set of 5 interviews.
    In general the interviews were mostly technical and involved white-boarding and coding questions and core java concepts throughout. I was asked design questions related to the job I had applied for and also testing strategies, junits, mocking etc. The last interview was with the hiring manager, where he tried to gauge my fitment into the team, discussed my projects and also provided a broad overview about the team, the work etc.

In general, I felt I had done reasonably well, and could sense the same from the expression of the interviewers. The next day the recruiter mailed me saying that the interview team was really happy with my performance and wanted to extend an offer to me, we negotiated a bit and I got the salary I was expecting. So, no complaints :)

Overall a very enriching experience!

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Silver Spring Networks (Redwood City, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

1. Phone screen by recruiter (30 min)
    2. Phone interview with hiring manager (45 min) - General questions eg. Tell me about yourself, what you worked on, why are you looking to change jobs etc
    3. On site interview with 5 interviewers - Sequential 45 min sessions, standard questions, nothing fancy.
    4. HR follow up was awful. I was told the decision making process after on site interview was quick, a couple of days. When I followed up after 2 days I was told that he will get back to me. A week later I followed up and no response. 3 weeks later I followed up again and was told they have decided not to make an offer. Not sure why this process can take this long.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Silver Spring Networks (Redwood City, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Applied online thru linkedin and got a call from HR, discussed experience and the role. HR was also given a set of basic tech questions to ask before she could set-up a phone screen. Phone screen was scheduled with a hiring manager catering to several teams. Process repeated in phone screen and was asked about experience and skills. Was again asked a set of questions compiled from all the teams she was recruiting for. Phone screen went well and she promised to forward the resume to 2-3 teams. Got an email a couple days saying they weren't moving forward with me.

Interview Questions

• 1. How to differentiate between signed and unsigned byte?
      2. Interface/Abstract Class difference/usage.
      3. Inheritance related questions.   Answer Question

Solutions Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Silver Spring Networks (Redwood City, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was referred by a current employee, applying online was not helpful. After phone interviews I had a site interview with multiple people for 5 hours. The hiring manager wasn't there bl due to a last minute trip, very disappointing. Good compensation system and nice people.

Interview Questions

After 2 months and follow up emails. I finally heard back from HR. The company lost the VP of HR. Lack of communication between HR and hiring manager. Salary was lower than mentioned before site interview. No flexibility for negotiating. Hiring manager didn't handle conversations well.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Silver Spring Networks (Redwood City, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Thorough, I interviewed once with a senior analyst. Then had an in person interview with a panel of 5 of my prospective co-workers. The interview lasted a total of 2 hours.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The negotiation phase went somewhat well. I would have like to have made more.

Junior Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Silver Spring Networks (Redwood City, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

There was an initial 30 min HR round where she went over the details of my resume. On the same day I was informed that a manager from the hiring team would be contacting me over the phone. The phone interview was another 30 min process with questions about my current job and experience.

Interview Questions

• Your resume skills say that you are good at problem solving. Could you give me an example?   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between linked lists and array lists in Java?   Answer Question
    • You are a hardware major. Why would you want to do a software job?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Silver Spring Networks (Redwood City, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

In house recruiter contact me for an interview.
    Spoke with the manager on my background and past experiences.
    Scheduled for onsite interview.
    Spoke with a panel of about 5 people.
    Spoke with 1 product manager, 2 engineers, 1 UI designer/engineer, 1 QA engineer.
    Some technical questions from UI to data structures.
    Made an offer the same day.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Silver Spring Networks (Redwood City, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Their recruiter contacted me and scheduled a phone interview. However, at the scheduled time, the manager never called and could not be reached. Later I was told the manager had changed his mind.

Interview Questions

• "We’re still trying to get in contact with the manager"   Answer Question

Helpdesk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Silver Spring Networks (Redwood City, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

Group interview consists of 3 individual. Each conducting 30 minutes of time.
    Mostly asking questions concerning email, and troubleshooting.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between pop3 and IMAP?   1 Answer

Platform Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Silver Spring Networks (Redwood City, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

During the screen and 1:1 interview, I was asked network related questions, as the job description mentioned L2/L3 layer testing and the interviewer mentioned, it is for testing routing features. The group interview consisted mainly firmware related questions and algorithms for programming. All the interviewers were very polite and considerate, though the interview itself was very confusing.

Interview Questions

• How is much is 20db compared to 40 db?   1 Answer