Simon-Kucher & Partners Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2017

3.3

51 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Consultant Interview

Interview

It was a very straightforward consulting interview. My interviewer began by introducing himself and his professional experience. I was asked a generic "tell me about yourself" question, and then we delved right into the case. He left time afterwards for questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Simon-Kucher & Partners

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Simon-Kucher & Partners.

Interview

Case study right from the beginning. There was no initial behavioral interview. The interviewer was great with assisting through the case. Case was pretty straight forward. Overall interviewer was great, I made some silly mistakes but ultimately got to the correct answer

Interview Questions

• Typical strategy style case study interview involving marketing and revenue optimization   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Simon-Kucher & Partners (Berkeley, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

45 minute interview. About 15 min get-to-know you, a few personalized questions based on your experience/how you think it would help you in consulting. About 30-min for a relatively straightforward case that was interviewer-guided.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Simon-Kucher & Partners (Cambridge, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through campus recruitment in Sep, 2016. I was invited for an in person screening interview within a week. After the interview, I didn't hear from HR until I e-mailed the recruiter twice. If you're not provided the recruiter contact from the start, it's safe to assume that no news is bad news because they seem to be in the habit of leaving you hanging if you aren't invited to the next step.

Interview Questions

• Walked through resume, asked me specific questions about my experience. No behavioral questions. Easy case study on revenue and pricing. Interviewer mentioned that they weren't worried about your ability to crack the case as much as they wanted to see you demonstrate sheer horse power.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

Interview

I applied through the recruiting from my college (target school). I had one hour and a half on-campus interview and one in-office interview, which consisted of three interviews, a math test, and a lunch with members of the team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Simon-Kucher & Partners (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through university recruiting. First-round on-campus interview: brief, standard behavioral questions about personal and past experiences, followed by a simple case (with a few charts). The interviewer was 20-30 minute late for the interview, but apologized once arrived. He left 5-10 minutes at the end answering questions.

Had not heard back until several weeks later. Second-round, half-day interview in Boston office: ~10 people gathering awkwardly in a conference room; interview started with a short GRE-type math test on paper; then followed by lunch with current consultants - thought to be more 1-on-1 style lunch but turned out to be a group with total 5 people, a bit too many for a lunch to know each other; followed by three rounds of interviews with people at different levels in the firm - people were friendly in general (especially partner), but (others) could be much more enthusiastic and welcoming, rather than mechanically asking questions. Cases were largely based on real engagements, some of which were peculiar and less structured. Overall, the vibe of the firm was not a good fit for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Simon-Kucher & Partners (Berkeley, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

30 min behavioral and 30 min case interview. This was an on-campus interview. Interviewer asked if I had experience with case interviews and lead me through the case. She mainly gave positive feedback which ended up being confusing because I didnt end up getting the offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Simon-Kucher & Partners (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

30 min Case interview+10 min resume
    The interviewer directly started the case. The interviewer was very nice person.
    The case is about pricing, cost and revenue.
    Then she went through my resume and asked about my experience. Why did I decide to join SKP? Why consulting?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Simon-Kucher & Partners (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process involved a math exam followed by lunch with a peer and then 3 case studies with various managers and partners at the company.

I interviewed in San Francisco and wore a professional work dress since SKP is an established, traditional consulting company. All of the consultants in the office were dressed in business casual: guys wore plaid shirts and jeans, girls wore black yoga pants and flowy tops.

They scheduled me to interview in a conference room with only a really low couch all day (no table). The managing director could tell that I was extremely uncomfortable sitting at such a low couch in a skirt so he moved the rest of my interviews to other conference rooms with tables, which I was extremely grateful for.

TLDR - if you're female, wear pants!

They said that a consultant is eligible for promotion every 6 months but I couldn't get a good read if that is the norm or just promotional talk. Also, consultants only get paid monthly and I wasn't feeling confident how I could successfully restructure all of my payment obligations around that pay cycle.

I really liked the recruiter I worked with even though she was based on the East Coast, so we had a lot of early morning conversations. I tried negotiating the salary offered, but it wasn't substantially more than what I was currently making.

I ended up turning down the offer because I wasn't sure my traditional public enterprise experience best fit their transformative startup clients; I didn't truly understand what I would actually be doing there as a consultant (only mention of travel and client types - not of any actual work or projects like statistical modeling, presentations, solutions architecture, etc.); I was unsure about the accessibility of promotions (like what % of consultants are actually promoted or receive a bonus), and the pay offered wasn't more than my full compensation at my current company, so I didn't feel like changing just to make a change.

Interview Questions

• 45 minute multiple choice math exam   Answer Question
    • case studies about pricing for changing a company's business model   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Simon-Kucher & Partners.

Interview

1 interview with HR, and another 2 rounds of interviews with senior consultants. The first interview interview with consultant is behavioral based questions, with one or two number questions. The second one is pure case interview.